Stolen Bikes

Old July 7th 05, 10:21 PM
dardruba

Default Stolen Bikes

What happens to bikes when they are stolen.

Does anybody have any ideas on this? I know each case is different
and the type of bike may be different, but is there a common procedure
or modus operandi?

The paper delivery boy leaves his bike outside the shop, some toe rag
nicks it and chances are it'll be found in the next town smashed to
bits.

But the nice bike, somebodys expensive new model, his pride and joy,
nicked from the garden shed or off the bike rack.
I think the chances are its stolen on impulse or to order knowing there
is an end use for it. They never turn up at a reputable LBS for sale or
service, mine had post code, name and phone number inside the head tube
seat stem and inside the tyres.
If its ridden locally one of us would remember the wail of anguish when
its theft is posted somewhere, and if we see an inappropriate rider on
a bike he obviously couldnt afford, that might ring a memory bell too.

When my Orange was nicked the cops said it'll be stripped and the parts
sold off in public places. But we have Neighbourhood Watch reps checking
produts for sale like this at the weekend sales in farmers fields etc.
Then we got wind that our illegals were nicking bikes and packing them
into shipping containers for sale in their home countries. But there was
never any proof and Britain is such a soft touch that these containers
are never checked.

So people do you have any ideas on this?
Mike

Bikes in Parades? Jeff Potter General 3 October 11th 04 12:21 AM
Buying used (almost new?) bikes? Atri I General 9 October 8th 04 05:16 AM
When Does Horner Get His Bikes? mike schatzman Racing 3 September 16th 04 11:42 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM
Where to check against stolen bikes? Andy B UK 2 July 19th 03 01:53 AM