'Share The Road' sign

Old June 27th 06, 10:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default 'Share The Road' sign

EuanB wrote:
flyingdutch Wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...n06/jun26news2

Pacific Coast Highway Share the Road sign unveiled

I've been thinking about trying to ``watch for cyclists'' signs up on
Centre Dandenong Road. It's the only road I've copped abuse on laregly
because a shared path runs along the side of the road.

I reckon the installation of these signs will `legitimize' my presence
on the road.

Thoughts?

I am really against road signs in general. They seem to stop people
thinking. So yeah we want street signs and any sign that helps people
think. (I think But I think sharing the road signs work in that
respect. So yeah.

Dave
Old June 27th 06, 11:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-06-27, Euan (aka Bruce)

Peter McCallum wrote:

There are stacks of "Watch for Cyclists" signs on the Pacific/Princes
Highways near Sydney. However my son reckoned they were like those
"Kangaroos Next 20km" signs, there to remind us that cyclists/kangaroos
were once sighted in the vicinity because we didn't spot one bike rider
during our visit.

Hmm, doesn't seem to be having that effect on Beach Road! ;-)

I've never seen kangaroos on beach road.

Although I can accurately say that I've woken up to kangaroos hopping
down the main street of my then town.

I near missed one in coburg once

Dave
Old June 28th 06, 03:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Peter McCallum" wrote in message
news:1hhm3vw.1mo7571qih0sgN%p5m8.REMOVETHIS@yahoo. com.au...
EuanB wrote:

Shane Stanley Wrote:
In article ,
cfsmtb wrote:

Personally I'm still divided about road signage. Australia would

have
to be up there with having one of the most 'cluttered' road
environments. ie: there's signage and advertising for everything.
Would
more make drivers pay attention?

I tend to agree on the whole, however the case Euan cites is one of
those where, I think, a lot of drivers assume the law on bike lanes
applies to the path. If they at least dispel that notion, they may do
some good.

But I'm not sure about "Watch for cyclists" -- that strikes me as more
like "Watch for trucks entering".

That's what they have on Beach Road, which also has an off road path
running along it. So there's a precedent, hadn't thought of that...

There are stacks of "Watch for Cyclists" signs on the Pacific/Princes
Highways near Sydney. However my son reckoned they were like those
"Kangaroos Next 20km" signs, there to remind us that cyclists/kangaroos
were once sighted in the vicinity because we didn't spot one bike rider
during our visit.

They're the same as the ones in the Adelaide hills on the popular training
climbs with very poor sight distance. Yellow and black signs with a
distance underneath.
Gemm

Old June 28th 06, 03:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dave Wrote:

I near missed one in coburg once

Dave

If you had a near miss, does that mean you hit it?

Ash

--
a5hi5m

Old June 28th 06, 03:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

a5hi5m wrote:
dave Wrote:

I near missed one in coburg once

Dave

If you had a near miss, does that mean you hit it?

Ash

Ash is my brothers name . Be very careful with it. Dont damage
it he is an unforgiving little sod.

Ummmm no a near miss means it was nearer to being a hit than a miss

Ummmm Bell st it was.

had another meeting opposite broady station. THat one took off straight
down the middle of PascoeVale rd. Was on his side and staying in his
lane. So if he had had lights he would have been showing a higher
skill level than most drivers on that road after midnight but the lack
of lights bought him down to average

Dave

Old June 28th 06, 04:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Shane Stanley wrote:
snip
But I'm not sure about "Watch for cyclists" -- that strikes me as more
like "Watch for trucks entering".

Whereas I just thought, "Targets to your front - watch and shoot."

Tam
Old June 28th 06, 05:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Peter McCallum" wrote:

There are stacks of "Watch for Cyclists" signs on the Pacific/Princes
Highways near Sydney. However my son reckoned they were like those
"Kangaroos Next 20km" signs, there to remind us that cyclists/kangaroos
were once sighted in the vicinity because we didn't spot one bike rider
during our visit.

Not like these signs then?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74746151zdehFp

Got to watch out for those dangerous wandering trees :-)

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Sierra Spring Tour [email protected] Rides 17 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death Snoopy Racing 78 September 10th 03 02:55 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM