'clip on' bike racks

Old May 10th 04, 02:11 AM
Andrew

Default 'clip on' bike racks

Hi,
I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
(Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
the Thule ones for $200-300,
(http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/c...5/2/Bike_Racks ), but
are there other brands that are worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but
don't mind ordering off the net.

Andrew.

Old May 10th 04, 04:11 AM
DaveB

Andrew wrote:
Hi,
I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
(Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
the Thule ones for $200-300,
(http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/c...5/2/Bike_Racks ), but
are there other brands that are worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but
don't mind ordering off the net.

Andrew.

At that cost it might be cheaper to get a tow bar added and a normal
bike rack. My experience with the strap on rack (not sure what brand)
was mostly bad. The rack worked fine on a sedan, But on the hatch it was
all over the place because there's a limit to how much pressure you want
on the rear window. The day I looked in the rear view mirror to see the
bikes swinging around the side of the car on a round about was the day
the strap on rack got retired.

DaveB.

Old May 10th 04, 01:32 PM
Spider1977

Andrew wrote:
Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a
hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far
I've found the Thule ones for $200- 300, (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
65/2/Bike_Racks ), but are there other brands that are worth
investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but don't mind ordering off the
net.
Andrew.

Andrew

May need to get a new car (lol)! I had a rack which attached to th
towball. Quickly ditched it after driving over a gravel road and gettin
some little pock marks in my lovely Ksyrium wheels. Still haven'
recovered fully from the shock I went out and bought a shiny ne
Thule roof clip-on gismo which cost a fortune ($165) but I already ha
Thule racks. Now I look like one of those surfers with the boar
permanently attached to the car. Get a few friendly waves from othe
cycle rackers on the road ;

-

Old May 11th 04, 03:06 AM
Mike

Andrew wrote:
Hi,
I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
(Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
the Thule ones for $200-300,

Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many thousands of km with
2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find something similar locally. Try the
car-parts shops, like Marlows.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1084239850634

MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some other
bike/car/outdoors online shops.
Old May 11th 04, 05:52 AM
Andrew

$50! Bargain. Where?

That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost the same in
AUD$, but freight is $50.

I can't find that model on any .au sites, only the towbar ones, under the
Rhino-Rack name.

Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and forwards? It
looks as if there's nothing to stop that. (Actually, is yours a MEC? If not,
what is it, and where did you get it?)

Thanks for all replies so far, I'll keep looking.

Andrew.

Old May 11th 04, 11:05 AM
John Smith

Found one on sale in MEL at a large bike specialty shop. $95 in 1Q2003.
A 3-bike model. Works Very Well, sturdy. It has been a while since I
bought
it, and there is no name on the frame.... full list was only $120! Other
models
went near $200 but did not seem to have anything better for the extra $$.
In
my case, cheap was very good. YMMV

JS

Old May 12th 04, 10:00 AM
Mike

Andrew wrote:
$50! Bargain. Where?

Canada, from MEC. But its made in China. I would expect something
similar here.

That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost the same in
AUD$, but freight is $50.

As I said, MEC are too pricy for delivery. There are many other online
sites cheaper, but a bike rack is probably too big to post.

See my recent mail-order thread for advice given. I went to aebike.com.

Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

Sounds like the sort of place. What about the car section in K-mart/Big-W ?

How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and forwards?

Tie it on with straps and/or bungees. No problem.
For long drives, I put the wheels inside the car, to cut drag.

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
Bike racks for motorcycles Carla A-G Mountain Biking 9 August 21st 03 06:11 PM