'Some kind of Monster'

Old April 5th 05, 01:21 AM
Carl Brewer

Default 'Some kind of Monster'

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:25:05 +1000, eddiec
wrote:

Dunno... as unconfrontational as I am, it sounds like this guy is so
filled with testosterone and penis envy that words are going to be
relatively pointless. He sees the world as a (individual) race and
everyone else as someone to beat... Wonderful arrogance - the trait i
hate the most...

Having said that, perhaps a bit of sly flattery about "gee, you're
really fast, you should join us at Kew crits - you'd whip everybody...
" to get him along and then have his ass communally kicked by the
entire field, not to mention marshalls and such?? Just a
thought... unlikely to work I'll admit...

Those guys tend not to really want to race, they're like riceboys
with hotted up Hyundais. They pose and punce around, make
a lot of noise and drag off grandmas in old corollas to make
themselves feel good, but don't
have the strength of character to deal with not winning all the time,
so they won't compete for real where there's rules and everyone's
there to really race.

This bloke's probably from the same genepool.

As to what to do? Just keep on riding and training, and soon
enough you won't need to worry about him, he'll detonate
unless he learns to wheelsuck, and then you'll know who's
the loser

Old April 5th 05, 01:34 AM
GPLama

flyingdutch wrote:
That was him. i was even going out of my way to 'pull' him around cars
where ethe gap wasnt going to be big enuff for his wide-mtb-bars

I've fallen back in love with my MTB since the mods made to the
stem/flatbar/etc..

and thanks for the offer but your just gettin sucked in to the
competitve side of it (like 'BR' aint seen that side of the 'Lama'
)

I dont know what you are talking about.. BRs are a nice leisurely paced
Sunday ride.. heh..

Monsieur Signorini's suggestion of tempting him with the kew crits is
subtely evil just enuff to work!

Sounds good to me.. think he'll have a roadie?

cheers,
GPL
Old April 5th 05, 01:36 AM
eddiec

Carl Brewer Wrote:

Those guys tend not to really want to race, they're like riceboys
with hotted up Hyundais. They pose and punce around, make
a lot of noise and drag off grandmas in old corollas to make
themselves feel good, but don't
have the strength of character to deal with not winning all the time,
so they won't compete for real where there's rules and everyone's
there to really race.

This bloke's probably from the same genepool.

As to what to do? Just keep on riding and training, and soon
enough you won't need to worry about him, he'll detonate
unless he learns to wheelsuck, and then you'll know who's
the loser

The only catch is that these kind of nuff-nuffs (and I've encountered
few), will have no qualms in running pedestrian crossings and red light
to make sure they beat you when their strength/skill lets them down.

Although as FD has already done, catching up to them after the light
is always very smug-inducing... In fact, I'd be half inclined to jus
wheelsuck him all the way in and have a nice easier ride on him... Mak
sure you whistle to yourself and make "I'm taking it easy" noises jus
to rub it in...

Eddie(uncompetitive by nature)c...

--
eddiec

Old April 5th 05, 01:46 AM
cameron41

Ignore the pryck. Doesn't deserve your courtesy. Don't believe he'
appreciate it anyway

--
cameron41

Old April 5th 05, 02:50 AM
NoZX6R

flyingdutch wrote:
with apologies to Lars and Co...

riding into work, spot a guy i see quite regularly on my commute. He's
on a slicked up mtb and perpetually seems to be wearin the same kit (or
maybe that's my stereotype gland overheating )

Anyway's he a fairly strongish rider and he/me often tail each other on
the way in-out. I cant say we ride together cos he's obviously not used
or experienced with riding WITH anyone else, as he perpetually
half-wheels, does fliers at the lights and basically treats it like
some dodgem derby race!
This morning we were comin in together and everytime he tired I'd go to
the front. He would take it as some challenge to his peckerdom and zipp
past again and wonde rwhy he kept tiring, no doubt

Obviously still in race mode as we get ito the CBD, he starts running
red lights, footpathing and brushing way-too-close to other riders.
Oh well, let him go, me thinks.
However ironically enuff me stopping at red lights and riding more
realisitcally i keep rolling up next to him. No doubt he was getting
wound up by his own inability to win this mythical 'race' he was
running in his head. hehe. Kind like watching drivers fly off at lights
only to stand stationery longer at the next ones. sheeeesh.
Cross flinders St and he jumps on my wheel. big open road so im windin
up and i can see his shadow halfwheelin me again, as Im a block from
the gym i shower at i ease up, he flies past and does that nuff-nuff
drver move/assyumption where the brain tells them that if they cant see
you out of their peripheral vision they must be WELL past you and so he
swerves from the left-half of the rightlane across me and in front of
the parked bus we passed! I hit the brakes and shorten the lives of my
previously square-topped tyre a tad more!!!

Calm, dutchie, he didnt mean it!
Pull up next to him and say "Do you realise you almost killed me back
there?"
"I was well past you" he assumes
"No, i had to brake so you didnt knock me off!"

OK, i can see the perspective but the following is gold!...

"Oh yeah, well we were 'duelling' all the way in!"

OK, i knew he was in race mode and having some fun, but:
How about an apology?
How about coming to the realisation that you werent 'well in front'?

and just to add his seal of quality to the scenario, the lights turn
green, i weel up onto the footpath to head into gym and he rides off
and yells out,
"Loser!".

Im stunned. shortly followed by anger, and the fog is descendin.
It takes all the 'the little white guy' on my shoulder to not chase him
down and kick him into Thursday, but somewhere thru the fog is a voice
tellin me I'll regret that big time and only makes me as bad, if not
worse than him!

Im no doubt going to come across this guy again, so my question to
y'all is what (if anything) do i say do?

Im thinkin of introducing myself and pointing out i enjoyed our rides
together adnthat he's obviously a good rider, just not with other
people perhaps due to lack of bunch experience.

suggestions welcome

I reckon he's demonstrated what kind of person he is already - why would
you want to befriend him?

Next time you're in front of him, try to guide him into the potholes and
glass

OTOH, it might be enjoyably confronting to politely ask him why you are
a loser? I reckon he only got aggro because he knew you were stopping.
Just like cowardly car drivers who abuse you and then wind the window up
and keep staring straight ahead.

--
Nick
Old April 5th 05, 03:02 AM
hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
snip

Oooh goody my favourite!
Conflict with something that doesn't weigh 2 tonnes!

Make sure you are fresh and can kill him.. then..
"Hi c-Bomb, running some reds today?", then ride..
insert FD handing dude's arse to him on platter
Point, laugh, smile, lap up your victory.. this is not a time to be the
"bigger man", that's crap, kick his arse and even better, do it again
and again and again. Pretty soon the loser wont be riding on the same
stretch of road. Yeah, yeah.. "you're as bad as him" blah blah.. are you
racing to win or what? You're a racer man, not some yuppie metrosexual
scum heading into town for his manicure! KICK HIS ARSE! GRRRR!!

Sorry about that.. tired and haven't ridden for a few days.. aggression
levels high.. I need to beat some kids on trikes or a granny or
something to make myself feel better. :P

I like the suggestions of coaxing him into racing but he's probably too
chicken, but my personal fave is to close my mouth and breathe through
my nose in a very controlled fashion and maintain an absolute poker face
of non-effort and non-concern when he can see you.
When you roll up behind him after he's run another red or you pass him
and he's coughing up a lung - you look at him like he's nothing whilst
you're barely breathing - that's a beautiful moment in life! hahaha

tired evil hippy
"Don't listen to him, he knows not what he speaks!"
Old April 5th 05, 03:36 AM
SteveA

revenge

or giving the bloke the message that what he did was stupid dangerous

"Gee mate, that was a bit close. You could knock someone off thei
bike doing that. And you should watch out running red lights aroun
here. There are some real crap drivers who will hit you just for fun".
(said in concerned caring parent voice) And if it doesn't work, a
least you can be the smug parent to his badly behaved child

Alternatively, and in any event if the above does not work, apply you
frame pump to best advantage - across his head, shoulders, poke
between his shoulder blades, insert into his rear spokes

Steve

--
SteveA

Old April 5th 05, 04:38 AM
Tamyka Bell

NoZX6R wrote:

flyingdutch wrote:
[...]

If he always rides in near you, so you know his timings, you could tip
your friendly local police off to the fact that there's a traffic
infringement just waiting to be picked up...

That would be doing a service for the police, yourself, and the
community in general...
Old April 5th 05, 04:43 AM
LotteBum

My advice:

Ride up beside him and give him a nice big slap on the behind and as
"How's it going b!tch?".

Or you could be a little more seductive and give him a light slap o
the backside and ask him nicely if he minds if you sit on his wheel.

I'm full of great advice today. Anyone have relationship problems tha
need sorting out?

Lott

--
LotteBum

Old April 5th 05, 05:09 AM
flyingdutch

LotteBum Wrote:
My advice:

Ride up beside him and give him a nice big slap on the behind and as
"How's it going b!tch?".

Or you could be a little more seductive and give him a light slap o
the backside and ask him nicely if he minds if you sit on his wheel.

I'm full of great advice today. Anyone have relationship problems tha
need sorting out?

Lotte

evil ! evil! clever but evil! what a mindfeck

perhaps while suckin his wheel saying

"gee. your arse looks good today!"

(he always wears the same pair of VERY tight full-length nix

--
flyingdutch