'Scrap and Ride' scheme proposed by Qld Gov

Old December 1st 05, 11:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default 'Scrap and Ride' scheme proposed by Qld Gov

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...38-421,00.html

$500 toward ditching your pre-87 car and either buying a bike or free
rego ona smaller eco-friendly car.
Other things like Bike-Hubs suggested also...

Enuff Oz capitols keep talking like this and the ripples may become a
swell

--
flyingdutch

Old December 2nd 05, 12:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I reckon we're doing OK here in BrizVegas:
- According to the city council's survey on Nov 17, bike journeys were
up 27% (not sure on what)
- Next week, the new CBD BUG is doing a tour of four bike lock-ups in
city buildings
- In a redevelopment of King George Square outside the city hall, a
commercial end-of-trip facility is being installed in the underground
carpark. I think the daily charge will be pegged at the cost of a bus
ticket.

There's a long way to go before we can surf, but every ripple builds
the swell.

Donga

Old December 2nd 05, 12:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga Wrote:
a commercial end-of-trip facility is being installed in the
underground
carpark. I think the daily charge will be pegged at the cost of a bus
ticket.

Interesting! Can you gt anymore info on this facility?
cheers
FD

--
flyingdutch

Old December 2nd 05, 01:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Excerpt from the flyer for a talk at yesterday's Brissie CBD BUG
meeting (and I'll see what else I can find):

The CBD BUG has obtained further evidence confirming that the current
major obstacle to increased rates of commuter cycling is a severe lack
of 'end-of-trip' facilities, via its survey of CBD cyclists.

A commercial facility would appear to be the best means of addressing
the facility deficiency faced by many CBD workers, at least in the
short-term. A CBD bike parking centre has been planned by Brisbane City
Council for some time, to include parking, showers, lockers and a
dry-cleaning, launderying and ironing service. The centre will be
operated privately, and BQ and the CBD BUG have been lobbying State
Government and Council recently to ensure the earliest possible
construction and commencement date.

Come and hear John Hack, a director of Fit2work Pty Ltd, the proposed
operator of the centre, speak about the history, design and proposed
method of operation of this new centre. Help shape this facility by
providing your input and views......

Old December 2nd 05, 01:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...38-421,00.html

$500 toward ditching your pre-87 car and either buying a bike or free
rego ona smaller eco-friendly car.
Other things like Bike-Hubs suggested also...

Enuff Oz capitols keep talking like this and the ripples may become a
swell

--
flyingdutch

Dammit. I've got a 1990 car. I could've used that $500 to buy a trailer
for my bike... hehehe... hee hee hee...

Tam *I like bike*
Old December 2nd 05, 02:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:

Donga Wrote:
a commercial end-of-trip facility is being installed in the
underground
carpark. I think the daily charge will be pegged at the cost of a bus
ticket.

Interesting! Can you gt anymore info on this facility?
cheers
FD

There's a little bit about it on this page
http://www.bq.org.au/advocacy/issues.htm

It has been reported in Queensland Cyclistt but they don't seem to have
copies of the newsletter on the website. Try emailing Ben at Bicycle
Queensland bqmanager at bq dot org dot au

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old December 2nd 05, 02:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:

flyingdutch wrote:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...38-421,00.html

$500 toward ditching your pre-87 car and either buying a bike or free
rego ona smaller eco-friendly car.
Other things like Bike-Hubs suggested also...

Enuff Oz capitols keep talking like this and the ripples may become a
swell

--
flyingdutch

Dammit. I've got a 1990 car. I could've used that $500 to buy a trailer
for my bike... hehehe... hee hee hee...

Tam *I like bike*

I'm sure you can pick one up for under $500

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old December 2nd 05, 02:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum wrote:
Try emailing Ben at Bicycle Queensland bqmanager at bq dot org dot au

Steady on - I'm hunting up more info from the horse's mouth.

Donga

Old December 2nd 05, 03:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2005-12-02, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
flyingdutch wrote:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...38-421,00.html

$500 toward ditching your pre-87 car and either buying a bike or free
rego ona smaller eco-friendly car.
Other things like Bike-Hubs suggested also...

Enuff Oz capitols keep talking like this and the ripples may become a
swell

Dammit. I've got a 1990 car. I could've used that $500 to buy a trailer
for my bike... hehehe... hee hee hee...

And I got rid of my 1981 car 3 years ago (and it's been far longer
since I lived in Qld).

--
TimC
"Saving four times is just paranoia. Unless you're using an Exabyte