Please support Nugent's petition.

Old July 28th 18, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Please support Nugent's petition.

On Friday, 27 July 2018 14:23:12 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Given Nugent's vehement opposition to cycle events on public roads I assume he is raising hell about this.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events...nt-information

What about this - note the Nugentlike comments - "road tax", insurance, red lights ad infinitum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cle-event.html
Old July 28th 18, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 28/07/18 21:25, wrote:

What about this - note the Nugentlike comments - "road tax",
insurance, red lights ad infinitum.

According to Nugent it is "Road Tax"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cle-event.html

I wonder how many whingeing "road tax" payers are merely handing back a
small portion of their taxpayer funded benefits.
Old July 29th 18, 04:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 28/07/2018 18:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/07/18 13:15, JNugent wrote:
On 28/07/2018 13:00, TMS320 wrote:
On 27/07/18 16:46, JNugent wrote:
On 27/07/2018 16:32, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 4:10:17 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 27/07/2018 14:23, Simon Jester wrote:

Given Nugent's vehement opposition to cycle events on
public roads I assume he is raising hell about this.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events...nt-information

Totally inadvertently (as it always would be), you are, on
this occasion, quite right.

I do oppose all racing, of any and every sort, on the
highway.

Including the London Marathon? Sourpuss.

Not at all. The highway is for travelling on.

Your answer is not clear from the way you used the negative. Do
you include the LM as something that shouldn't be allowed on public
roads? Only for clarification, it's not a trick question.

What was the slightest bit unclear about "I do oppose all racing, of
any and every sort, on the highway"?

Your "not at all". Your position is now clarified.

The London Marathon is a race.

Don't you?

I think the British GP should be moved from Silverstone to a
London street circuit.

I didn't even know there was a British "GP". You can probably
tell how interested I am in it. All racing is boring, but motor
racing is the ultimate in boring.

I am not keen on racing on private land either. Watching
gloss paint dry is more interesting.

I like Golf.

I let myself be talked into playing nine holes once, more than
forty years ago. I can quite see the attraction on a nice day and
in a pleasant location. Especially with the bar to look forward
to after what is a considerable walking distance.

If a nine hole golf course is your idea of a "considerable walking
distance", your bar is set very low.

You haven't seen me try to hit a golf ball in a straight line towards
a known target.

A few years ago my young son and I tried a round of walking while
hitting balls into the undergrowth so you'll have to try a bit harder to
convince me.

When my wife and I visit cities we usually walk something like 12-15
miles a day between the sights. (One even gets to experience how real
cyclists behave.)

I tried that once in New York. It's too much in one day when you're not
used to doing it frequently.

You don't get any exposure to evil cyclists you like to whinge
about.

I share your lack of interest in sport btw. Though I realise it
gives other people pleasure and I have no problem with closing
roads for popular events. Too bad if it inconveniences a tiny
number of people from having access by car for a couple of hours.

I don't have a complete lack of interest in sport. Provided that the
competition is at a high enough level (eg, international football),
I can watch it. I cannot raise any enthusiasm for Foundrytown
Wanderers versus Collieryville United. Or, indeed, for the politics
of the industry in general. My iea of hell wouild include being
forced to listen to non-stop soccer punditry.

I was forced out onto football, cricket and rugby pitches at bore-ding
school and six years was more than enough exposure for a lifetime.

With an interest in science and engineering, motor racing has some
elements that interest me though the man at the front of the procession
does not.

I saw my first (and probably last) ever live baseball game at the
Houston Astrodome last month (Houston Astros v Kansas City Royals; KC
won on the night). American TV manages to make baseball look
sensational on the not-so-small screen - probably helped by the fact
that the game, with its frequent natural breaks in play, lends itself
to commercial television. Live, it's a different experience, with the
(rather affluent) crowd atmosphere being a major part of it. But it's
one I'm glad I had - at least once at any rate. OTOH, American
football attracts me about as much as rugby football does.

Old July 29th 18, 04:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 28/07/2018 21:18, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 1:15:59 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 28/07/2018 13:00, TMS320 wrote:
On 27/07/18 16:46, JNugent wrote:
On 27/07/2018 16:32, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 4:10:17 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 27/07/2018 14:23, Simon Jester wrote:

Given Nugent's vehement opposition to cycle events on public roads
I assume he is raising hell about this.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events...nt-information

Totally inadvertently (as it always would be), you are, on this
occasion, quite right.

I do oppose all racing, of any and every sort, on the highway.

Including the London Marathon?
Sourpuss.

Not at all. The highway is for travelling on.

Your answer is not clear from the way you used the negative. Do you
include the LM as something that shouldn't be allowed on public roads?
Only for clarification, it's not a trick question.

What was the slightest bit unclear about "I do oppose all racing, of any
[...]

Keep your eye on the ball and follow through, let your partner(s) worry about spotting it.
Don't make the mistake about looking up after contact to see where the ball went.

Where were you when I needed you?
Old July 29th 18, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 29/07/18 04:01, JNugent wrote:
On 28/07/2018 18:34, TMS320 wrote:

When my wife and I visit cities we usually walk something like
12-15 miles a day between the sights. (One even gets to experience
how real cyclists behave.)

I tried that once in New York. It's too much in one day when you're
not used to doing it frequently.

Indeed, particularly forty years after thinking a golf
course is a long walk.

We were in NY for 4 nights. Our last full day was our relax day, spent
gently meandering for 20km over the length & breadth of Central Park in
gorgeous autumn sunshine.