Cycling on the pavement

Old December 5th 11, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

Default Cycling on the pavement

A well thought out article.
http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...-the-pavement/
Old December 5th 11, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 05/12/2011 16:53, Bertie Wooster wrote:

A well thought out article.
http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...-the-pavement/

Disingenuous, rather than well thought-out (though I don't deny that some
thought went into it).

That writer is , of course, trying to pull the wool over the reader's eyes.
This becomes very apparent in the very first paragraph when he complains
about an article written by a councillor attacking footway cycling. He
describes the councillor's article as "...an article that, for some reason,
decided to focus entirely on the dangers of ‘selfish cyclists’ who are using
pedestrianised areas in Horsham, and which simultaneously managed to ignore
completely the (acknowledged) dangers of reckless driving".

Of course, what he fails to mention is that that is not in any way a fault or
deficiency in the attack on footway cycling. One might as well complain that
articles attacking bad driving are deficient because they ignore the threat
of tsunami, earthquake, nuclear war and asteroid-strike. Or just imagine a
shoplifter attempting to justify himself by arguing that the person who has
apprehended him is ignoring the murder rate, not to mention genocide in
Rwanda or mass-murders in Syria.

When he says "In this companion piece, I’d like to revisit that article, and
take a closer look at why cyclists are using pavements and pedestrianised
areas in Horsham", he is missing the point by an astronomical unit. It simply
doesn't matter "why", any more than do the reasons proffered by drug dealers,
drunk drivers or vandal spray-painters for their anti-social behaviour.

The truth is that "the dangers of reckless driving" (whether acknowledged or
not) are nothing to do with the self-centred antics of footway cyclists and
one topic can only be connected with the other in a simplistic and
unintelligent way. And that is a better characterisation of the article than
calling it "well thought out".

Old December 5th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Dec 5, 4:53*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
A well thought out article.http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...ling-on-the-pa...

Yes,it was very well written but those 3 children in the first photo
are below the age of criminal responsiblity and so they have nothing
to fear anyway.

--
Simon Mason
Old December 5th 11, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 05/12/2011 16:53, Bertie Wooster wrote:
A well thought out article.
http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...-the-pavement/

Standard bicyclist ********.

Ignores very real public concern, try's to divert attention by blaming
motorists, them wants public money wasted on a tiny minority of idiots
who use a non viable form of transport.

University
Old December 6th 11, 05:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Dec 5, 4:53*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
A well thought out article.http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...ling-on-the-pa...

I never cycle on those converted pavements as shown in the photo as
there are so many give ways points - that is why I stick to the roads.

--
Simon Mason
Old December 7th 11, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NorthWalesYorkie[_2_]

On Dec 5, 5:26*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 05/12/2011 16:53, Bertie Wooster wrote:

A well thought out article.
http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...ling-on-the-pa...

Disingenuous, rather than well thought-out (though I don't deny that some
thought went into it).

Actually, it's very well thought out, you're making the fundamental
error of criticising from a driver's and pedestrian's point of view.
I'm not familiar with Horsham but similar layouts are found in dozens
of small towns, where the road network was redesigned in the sixties/
seventies to cater for increased volumes of motor traffic and the core
streets later pedestrianised. The combination marginalises the cyclist
who has to choose between a circuitous, unpleasant and possibly
dangerous road, and coming into conflict with pedestrians.
Old December 7th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 07/12/2011 11:39, NorthWalesYorkie wrote:

On Dec 5, 5:26 pm, wrote:
On 05/12/2011 16:53, Bertie Wooster wrote:

A well thought out article.
http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress...ling-on-the-pa...

Disingenuous, rather than well thought-out (though I don't deny that some
thought went into it).

Actually, it's very well thought out, you're making the fundamental
error of criticising from a driver's and pedestrian's point of view.

Looking at it from the point of view of the vast majority who expect some
effort to comply with the law (especially law to protect pedestrians on
footways), you mean?

I'm not familiar with Horsham but similar layouts are found in dozens
of small towns, where the road network was redesigned in the sixties/
seventies to cater for increased volumes of motor traffic and the core
streets later pedestrianised. The combination marginalises the cyclist
who has to choose between a circuitous, unpleasant and possibly
dangerous road, and coming into conflict with pedestrians.

"Conflict with pedestrians" could mean almost anything (so it means nothing).

Cycling on the footway, or the wrong way along a one-way street, is an
offence, which is conflict with the law and an affront to the civilised norms
of society.

Be wary of admitting to uncivilised behaviour.

And it's not as though you can do it inadvertently.
Old December 7th 11, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Dec 7, 11:39*am, NorthWalesYorkie
wrote:

Actually, it's very well thought out, you're making the fundamental
error of criticising from a driver's and pedestrian's point of view.
I'm not familiar with Horsham but similar layouts are found in dozens
of small towns, where the road network was redesigned in the sixties/
seventies to cater for increased volumes of motor traffic and the core
streets later pedestrianised. The combination marginalises the cyclist
who has to choose between a circuitous, unpleasant and possibly
dangerous road, and coming into conflict with pedestrians.

I have the luxury of being able to choose from roads, cycle lanes,
cycle paths from converted railway lines, cycle paths from converted
pavements, bus lanes, estuary riverside, 20mph zones and I make full
use of them all.

--
Simon Mason
Old December 7th 11, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NorthWalesYorkie[_2_]

On Dec 7, 12:34*pm, JNugent wrote:

"Conflict with pedestrians" could mean almost anything (so it means nothing).

dictionary.com can help you out here.

Cycling on the footway, or the wrong way along a one-way street, is an
offence, which is conflict with the law and an affront to the civilised norms
of society.

Which is why the needs of cyclists have to be accommodated along with
those of pedestrians and motorists.

Empathy with other road users isn't your strong point.
Old December 7th 11, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On Dec 5, 5:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh please! Pavement cycling may well be illegal but is hardly serious
crime, when it is done courteously and respectfully.

--
Simon
For personal replies, please use my reply-to address.

Pavement cycling Marie UK 18 August 10th 10 06:55 PM
Of pavement cycling Tim Hall UK 12 April 20th 08 04:34 PM
Safety:- Cycling on the pavement v cycling on the road. soup UK 20 April 8th 07 12:00 PM
Pavement cycling Paul Boyd UK 23 July 29th 06 10:38 PM
Pavement cycling Just zis Guy, you know? UK 10 December 11th 05 08:25 PM