Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

Old August 8th 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

On 8/8/2018 3:57 PM, Max Nosugar wrote:
Thanks guys! I actually set up a track bike on the road. So yeah I wasnt thinking if it was a good idea. Appreciate your responses.

Its cool to have a 3 speed rear hub for fixie now. So getting this will allow me to convert fixie into a road bike of some sort? Correct?

Sure, depending on what the definition of 'is' is.

A fixed three is an unique thing but exactly fulfills your
request. A rose, or fixie, by any other name, etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 9th 18, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 09/08/18 06:57, Max Nosugar wrote:
Its cool to have a 3 speed rear hub for fixie now

er, is it still a fixte?
Sounds like I my first ride with a 3 speed Sturney Archer hub.

bTW, i've heard of dual speed fixties from the 40's/50's where they had
one cog on one side for racing and another on the other side for riding
home. You just swopped the wheel around to change gears.

Old August 9th 18, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 9:06:03 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On 09/08/18 06:57, Max Nosugar wrote:
Its cool to have a 3 speed rear hub for fixie now

er, is it still a fixte?
Sounds like I my first ride with a 3 speed Sturney Archer hub.

bTW, i've heard of dual speed fixties from the 40's/50's where they had
one cog on one side for racing and another on the other side for riding
home. You just swopped the wheel around to change gears.

Flip flop hubs are still a thing, but I don't think OP is interested in stopping and flipping his wheel. He wants a fixed multi-speed bike, which I've had after breaking a freewheel back in the 5 speed days. It doesn't work well.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 9th 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/8/2018 11:06 PM, news18 wrote:
On 09/08/18 06:57, Max Nosugar wrote:
Its cool to have a 3 speed rear hub for fixie now

er, is it still a fixte?
Sounds like I my first ride with a 3 speed Sturney Archer hub.

bTW, i've heard of dual speed fixties from the 40's/50's
where they had one cog on one side for racing and another on
the other side for riding home. You just swopped the wheel
around to change gears.

That was a standard race setup until the mid-1930s. Riders
would flip to low gear before a climb. Go read about Tullio
Campagnolo climbing the Croce d'Aune in 1927 for a great
true story.

In the 1940s, 50s 60s British riders used fork-mounted wheel
carriers to tote their nice race wheels to the start. Clever
little steel brackets held one wheel by the axle on each
side of the fork. Couldn't find an image but Holdsworthy
carried them and we sold them through the mid-1970s.

Old August 9th 18, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

Soemthing like these:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...or-cyclocross/
?

--
sig 98
Old August 9th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:31:05 AM UTC-4, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Neat! I also like the last post on that page: "Jan Heine, Editor, Bicycle Quarterly says:
November 6, 2015 at 12:16 am

Both wheels use 6-speed freewheels. For mud, fewer cogs means less clogging.. I rarely use more than 3 or 4 gears in a ‘cross race anyhow."

So, according to some, Less really is better than more.

Cheers
Old August 9th 18, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/9/2018 10:31 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yep, pretty simple and very useful to a pre-automobile
culture. Thank you

Old August 9th 18, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

For Jan, old is always better than new -- that's his business model. He also says his old Alan is just as good or better than the modern CX bikes, which is spoken like someone under 170lbs who doesn't have to do a lot of braking in mud. On a CX bike with cantis, you start braking at the top of the muddy hill and hope you have some braking left at the bottom. With discs, you can effectively brake later in the hill and go faster, worrying only about traction. Also, his Alan has bar-ends, which are great for auto-shifting when you dismount or hike-a-bike. I'm amazed hes not riding steel, which is by far the most magical substance on earth besides vinyl LPs.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 10th 18, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Wait - you mean steel is better than cast iron??

Jan seems to have had some good ideas. His core philosophy of examining
older technology for inspiration seems OK to me. (As many here know, I
don't agree with the idea that every technical improvement is a
must-have, or even adds significantly to the non-racing riding
experience.) I think he hit on something worthwhile with his rolling
resistance testing and his love for wider tires. And if I'd heard soon
enough about "rinko" bike disassembly for travel, I might have bought
that instead of the Bike Friday.

But I find much of the magazine copy to be just as fanciful as the
typical issue of _Bicycling_ magazine. His "planing" effect of bike
frames seems indistinguishable from magic. His worship of center pull
brakes doesn't make sense to me. And I wonder if his frequent tests of
super-expensive but old-style shorts, shoes, jerseys, etc. is just a way
of getting nifty swag.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 10th 18, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

OK, good points all.
But to win at UCI Cyclocross nobody has to beat _you_ to the
finish, merely the other pros who show up at the start line.

http://alanbike.it/wp-content/upload...tamsnjider.jpg

https://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/defaul...-1#prettyPhoto[pp261778]/0/

Stronglight double to single Mark UK 12 May 3rd 06 02:30 PM
Double chainring FSA William O'Hara Techniques 11 December 13th 05 07:16 PM
Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use) RobCam Techniques 13 August 10th 05 04:05 AM
what's single/double keyed mean? Sofa Unicycling 4 August 22nd 03 08:42 AM
Aligning chain on triple front chainring and 9 gear rear cluster. Peter Techniques 3 August 11th 03 01:41 PM