Cannondale component quality?

Old March 14th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Cannondale component quality?

I'm looking for a new ride, and Cannondale is one brand I've been
looking at. I'm a bit curious, though, about their use of house-brand
components. For example, given a choice between Cannondale Wind hubs
and Shimano LX hubs, are there issues with the Cannondale hubs as far as
interoperability with "standard" clusters, freehub bodies, and spokes?
How do the bearings and seals compare?

Is there anything similar to look out for with seatposts or stems? Is a
seatpost a seatpost, as long as it's the right diameter? Do all stems
have to fit the same forks and bars (with appropriate variances for
diameters again), or do I need to be on the lookout for gotchas?

Pat

Old March 14th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Pat Lamb wrote:
I'm looking for a new ride, and Cannondale is one brand I've been
looking at. I'm a bit curious, though, about their use of house-brand
components. For example, given a choice between Cannondale Wind hubs
and Shimano LX hubs, are there issues with the Cannondale hubs as far as
interoperability with "standard" clusters, freehub bodies, and spokes?
How do the bearings and seals compare?

Shouldn't be a big deal, cassettes should slide on as well as on a
Shimano labled unit.

It's likely a hub made by "KK" or similar Taiwanese brand--most are
quite decent. Repack after the first year of use with some really nice
bearings and grease if it worries ya.

I've ridden a couple wheelsets with the cheap "Sora" hubs a few
thousand miles, and you know what--they're just fine. There is no such
thing as a perfectly sealed bearing, and regular cup and cone
construction is twenty minutes to service. Do it once or twice a year,
no matter how high falutin' your hubs are, and stop worrying and love
the bomb.

Is there anything similar to look out for with seatposts or stems?

Again, a lot of manufacturers use a "generic" or lesser known Asian
brand of these to save bucks, and most are quite decent. Heck, my new
ride came with a generic post that's got 2 bolts instead of one. No
name brand, but it's better than most name brand posts I've seen

Is a seatpost a seatpost, as long as it's the right diameter?

For the most part. Some are indeed stronger, something to think about
if you're a clyde, and some have two bolts securing the saddle instead
of one, which some folks prefer. Some posts are a bit lighter and some
are longer, but for the most part, it's something to not worry about.

Do all stems
have to fit the same forks and bars (with appropriate variances for
diameters again), or do I need to be on the lookout for gotchas?

Pretty much all threadless stems fit all threadless forks. Only
difference that's common is bar diameter. Road is usually 26mm, mtb is
25.4.

Relax. :P

Old March 15th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

A few year ago I bought a T800 tourer from Cannondale. It came with
Coda hubs and cranksets. The parts were adequate but the wheel build
wasn't good. I didn't like the Coda components as I don't think that
they were made very well. Because of my experience, I'd be a little
leery of no-name components that may come with a C'dale. Their frames
are a different matter. I really like them.

Old March 15th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Pat Lamb wrote:
I'm looking for a new ride, and Cannondale is one brand I've been
looking at. I'm a bit curious, though, about their use of house-brand
components. For example, given a choice between Cannondale Wind hubs
and Shimano LX hubs, are there issues with the Cannondale hubs as far as
interoperability with "standard" clusters, freehub bodies, and spokes?
How do the bearings and seals compare?

Is there anything similar to look out for with seatposts or stems? Is a
seatpost a seatpost, as long as it's the right diameter? Do all stems
have to fit the same forks and bars (with appropriate variances for
diameters again), or do I need to be on the lookout for gotchas?

Pat

I tried out a Cannondale and priced them when I was in the market for a
bike late last summer. Locally, they seemed to be priced above what a
similarly equipped Specialized bike could be bought. Is this generally
true? I liked what I rode, an R1000, but wound up with the other brand.