Sheldon Brown's Dynohub page woefully out of date! (for shame!)

Old December 26th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Sheldon Brown's Dynohub page woefully out of date! (for shame!)

http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

I was fantasizing about building up a front wheel with one, and
stumbled across the page. No mention that Shimano kit is now available
stateside or that Sturmey Archer has resumed building such hubs:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_fh_XFDD.php

Think if the children stumble upon this misinformation! Oh noe!
Old December 27th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
landotter wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

I was fantasizing about building up a front wheel with one, and
stumbled across the page. No mention that Shimano kit is now available
stateside or that Sturmey Archer has resumed building such hubs:

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_fh_XFDD.php

Think if the children stumble upon this misinformation! Oh noe!

It's worse, he should know better!

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/light...her-x-fdd.html

Of course, this means I should really lace up a new 20" wheel so I can
have a way-cool electrical setup on my lightly-used tandem.

http://wiredcola.blogspot.com/2007/04/more-on-tandems.html

That photo does not show the (stock on that bike) bottle generator, but
you can see the headlight, and you can sorta-see the taillight and the
Sturmey-Archer drum brake hubs. The rear is a 3-speed, of course.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old December 27th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Dec 26, 5:15 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

--
Ryan Cousineau /
"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

I just built up a wheel for my basket bike (an '85 Peugeot Orient
Express I put a Nexus-8 and North Road bars on) with the X-FDD hub.
Generator works great. but the drum brake's kinda weak. Do they break
in?

Of course, the reason I wanted it was so I could mount studded tires,
and not be afraid of snow buildup on the rims. If it's slick, a brake
I won't lock up is probably a Good Thing.
Old December 27th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

PERFECT SHELDON GIFTS!
http://www.rei.com/sale/TOC/Snowshoe...P_SNOWSHOE_TOC
http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/h..._dollies.shtml
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/03...ing-hands.html
WIRING EXTRA
Old December 27th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter skrev:
http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

I was fantasizing about building up a front wheel with one, and
stumbled across the page. No mention that Shimano kit is now available
stateside or that Sturmey Archer has resumed building such hubs:

I think the word "Dynohub" is a Sturmey-Archer trademark, so when
Sheldon Brown writes about Dynohubs he means only S-A hubs, not
Shimano og Schmidt dynamo hubs which he calls "generator hubs". There
is a link to these more modern generator hubs on the Dynohub page.

--
Regards
Old December 27th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Dec 27, 8:02*am, wrote:
landotter skrev:

http://sheldonbrown.com/dynohubs.html

I was fantasizing about building up a front wheel with one, and
stumbled across the page. No mention that Shimano kit is now available
stateside or that Sturmey Archer has resumed building such hubs:

I think the word "Dynohub" is a Sturmey-Archer trademark

Apparently, Peter White disagrees:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com

"Home of the Schmidt Dynohub" (Peter is the US agent for Schmidt)

Old December 27th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Hank Wirtz wrote:
I just built up a wheel for my basket bike (an '85 Peugeot Orient
Express I put a Nexus-8 and North Road bars on) with the X-FDD hub.
Generator works great. but the drum brake's kinda weak. Do they break
in?

Of course, the reason I wanted it was so I could mount studded tires,
and not be afraid of snow buildup on the rims. If it's slick, a brake
I won't lock up is probably a Good Thing.

Yes, most drums work better after a half season than when new. Keep the
pad surface clean of any oil or grease.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 27th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sheldon Brown

wrote:

I think the word "Dynohub" is a Sturmey-Archer trademark, so whenSheldon Brownwrites about Dynohubs he means only S-A hubs, not
Shimano og Schmidt dynamo hubs which he calls "generator hubs". There
is a link to these more modern generator hubs on the Dynohub page.

That is my understanding, and that's why I always capitalize
"Dynohub."

It is possible that Sturmey-Archer may have allowed their possession
of that trademark to expire. I notice that their current generator
hubs are not described as "Dynohubs" on their Website.

Sheldon "Generator Hubs" Brown

Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

Old December 27th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOOOOOOOOOOW
this NOBODY CAN DENY!
not in this parsec