Which Brooks saddle?

Old March 3rd 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Which Brooks saddle?

On Mar 2, 10:27 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Andre Jute:

I also want springing front and rear.

I'd consider a sus post instead. Brooks are making the 210 with
solid rails now. I think you'd get substantially lower weight.
--
PeteCresswell

The weight doesn't bother me. I specced my new bike to lose all kinds
of complications bike, such as the suspended fork and seat suspension
post. I like the idea of traditional coil springs on my seat, though
admittedly I like the idea of suspension by leather hammock alone, if
it works as well as simple coils, even better.

It's just one of those things where I have to take all the helpful
advice I can get, meanwhile working my way through the likeliest
options until I find the optimal seat. I'm trying to catch up on
experience it took you guys years and decades to acquire.

Andre Jute
Remove the number one from to reach me
Old March 3rd 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Ping Pete Cresswell, was Which Brooks saddle?

On Mar 2, 5:07*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Andre Jute:

I ride an hour a day, two hours a day for longer rides, never more.
Total mileage in the order of 2000m/3200km per year, creeping up
slowly.

Which Brooks model would be advisable for a guy who weighs 215 pounds?

You need to determine your ichial tuberosity spacing before
making a choice.

Sit on a block of styrofoam or even a sheet of paper on a fairly
soft rug until you can see the two dents.

Center-to-center distance between the dents will help pare down
the saddle choices.

Should I prefer one of the models with helical springs at the back?

I use both, but am partial to un-sprung combined with a sus post
because of the greater durability off-road.

Springs are 100% adequate for road use. * The B-72's very small
springs are my favorite, but they do tend to break with too many
bumps, as in off-road use.

Would one of the "aged" models give me a headstart on comfort.

In my experience, no. *They're all pretty good right out of the
box unless you get one with extra-hard leather. * I buy from a
place that lets me return a saddle if I don't like it and have
had to return one out of about a half-dozen that I've bought so
far.

If you settle on a B-17, ping me. * I've got a couple hanging on
the wall since I went to a wider saddle.
--
Pete (Broad Butt) Cresswell

I sent a reply which seems didn't make it. As every cyclist I know
locally rides a plastic saddle, I therefore have no accessible
reference. I've ordered a B73 but I would be interested in having a
broken-in B17 as a reference of the default size and what a broken-in
saddle feels like.

So, yes please, drop me a note to after you lose
the numeral one.

Andre Jute

Old March 4th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Andre Jute:
I like the idea of traditional coil springs on my seat, though
admittedly I like the idea of suspension by leather hammock alone, if
it works as well as simple coils, even better.

I don't think there's any appreciable suspension in the hammock.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 4th 09, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coaster

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andre Jute:
I like the idea of traditional coil springs on my seat, though
admittedly I like the idea of suspension by leather hammock alone, if
it works as well as simple coils, even better.

I don't think there's any appreciable suspension in the hammock.

To me it is. But I do not sit in the saddle with all my weight. Anyway
try hit B17 or any Brooks with rails only with your fist and see if it
is any suspension in it. Combined suspension - leather/steel rails is
enough if you use your legs as a suspension too.

--
PoZdR
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
Old March 4th 09, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coaster

Phil W Lee wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" considered Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:59:53
-0500 the perfect time to write:

Per Andre Jute:
I like the idea of traditional coil springs on my seat, though
admittedly I like the idea of suspension by leather hammock alone, if
it works as well as simple coils, even better.

I don't think there's any appreciable suspension in the hammock.

There's a site somewhere on the net that has film of the leather
"hammock" moving in use.
The camera is placed to show the underside of the saddle as the bike
is being ridden, and you can even see the flex in the rails.
I must admit, it was a surprise to me how much it shifts under shock

It is obvious for someone who use good leather saddle. You can feel it.
Just ride replacing such saddle with block wood or hard plastic instead :-)

--
PoZdR
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
Old March 4th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" considered Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:59:53
-0500 the perfect time to write:

Per Andre Jute:
I like the idea of traditional coil springs on my seat, though
admittedly I like the idea of suspension by leather hammock alone, if
it works as well as simple coils, even better.

I don't think there's any appreciable suspension in the hammock.

There's a site somewhere on the net that has film of the leather
"hammock" moving in use.
The camera is placed to show the underside of the saddle as the bike
is being ridden, and you can even see the flex in the rails.
I must admit, it was a surprise to me how much it shifts under shock

That is the surprising thing. To touch the saddle seems
very hard and unforgiving. Clack it with your knuckle
and it sounds like a wood block.

Then put the ischial tuberosities on it, ride, and you can feel
the saddle flexing with road shock.

--
Michael Press

FS: Brooks B72 Saddle John Mayfield Marketplace 0 January 7th 06 04:34 PM
Brooks B17 saddle Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 June 25th 05 10:06 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Martin Bulmer UK 0 June 21st 05 07:14 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Simon Brooke UK 0 June 20th 05 10:58 PM
Brooks B17 saddle Paulmouk UK 1 June 20th 05 10:28 PM