Avid Disc Mech. & Ultegra Shifter Problems

Old September 23rd 04, 06:05 PM
james2u

Default Avid Disc Mech. & Ultegra Shifter Problems

My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don'
seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming ou
before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device tha
compensate for this incompatibilty?
Thanks, Peac

--
james2u

Old September 24th 04, 03:44 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:05:41 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't
seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming out
before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device that
compensate for this incompatibilty?
Thanks, Peace

Yes, you can buy a device that increases the cable pull. I think it it is
called an Avid thingamajig. You should also make sure you have properly
adjusted the brakes so that there is minimal clearance between the pads and
the brake rotor.
-------------
Alex

Dear Alex,

Possibly the Avid rollamajig:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5132

Carl Fogel
Old September 24th 04, 04:46 AM
daveornee

james2u Wrote:
My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don'
seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming ou
before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device tha
compensate for this incompatibilty?
Thanks, Peace

I would ask the question directly to Avidbike.com

Avid makes a Roll-a-majig, but it just smooths out the turn in a rea
derailer cable without changing the leverage on the cable.
Avid also makes Full-Metal-Jacket stainless steep tubing to be used i
applications where you need housing and can run it straight. However
you likely have the typical curved sections at the bar and brake end
only.

I would be looking into a hydraulic disc and bar-end shifter.

If you need to pull more cable, you need something like a World Clas
"V-Daptor. It decreases leverage and increases the amount of cabl
pull

--
daveornee

Old September 24th 04, 02:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

james- My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't
seem that compatible with each other. BRBR

Do you have the 'raod' version of the calipers? made for road levers? If you
have the MTB version, you will run outta cable.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302