Streets of Death!

Old June 4th 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Streets of Death!

On Jun 4, 12:30*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:09*pm, Dan O wrote:

The '97 NSC or whatever study you referenced above does not appear to
be readily freely available. *Sure, I could devote my [in]valuable
time to searching local libraries for a copy, but that's your life,
not mine, and anyway...

Yeah, I know. *The library is so far away. *But you still feel
qualified to argue against published data.

http://www.nsc.org/news_resources/in...istics/Pages/T...

"The odds of dying are statistical averages over the whole U.S.
population. They do not necessarily reflect the chances of death for a
particular person from a particular external cause. Any individual's
odds of dying from various external causes are affected by the
activities in which they participate, where they live and drive, what
kind of work they do, and other factors."

Regarding cycling: *For either the population of any Westernized
country or the population of cyclists in any such county, the average
risk of serious injury or death is so low that even those at the most
risk get benefits outweighing the risks.

Unless the rider has a heart condition, then it could be fatal. I
almost had a stroke today yelling at motorists -- and people with dogs
on 30 foot leashes. I got chased by some four-legged taco meat on a
30 leash that darted in to the road to nip my heels. I was cruising
home on a back road that is popular with runners and walkers along the
Willamette. I wanted to get off my bike and club the thing to death
and throw it in to the river, along with its witless owners. At least
it wasn't a country dog that wanted to chase me for a kilo or two, but
then I would have missed the pleasures of being clothes-lined with a
leash.. -- Jay Beattie.
Old June 4th 11, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On Jun 4, 12:09 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Mr Servadio, who used to frequent r.b.t., was clotheslined a
year ago by a child pulling a wagon. From across the street.

He spent painful months recovering from very serious injuries.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 5th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 6/4/2011 3:47 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

Unless the rider has a heart condition, then it could be fatal. I
almost had a stroke today yelling at motorists -- and people with dogs
on 30 foot leashes. I got chased by some four-legged taco meat on a
30 leash that darted in to the road to nip my heels. I was cruising
home on a back road that is popular with runners and walkers along the
Willamette. I wanted to get off my bike and club the thing to death
and throw it in to the river, along with its witless owners. At least
it wasn't a country dog that wanted to chase me for a kilo or two, but
then I would have missed the pleasures of being clothes-lined with a
leash.. -- Jay Beattie.

There needs to be a leash-cutting attachment for bicycles.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 5th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 4, 12:30 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:09 pm, Dan O wrote:

I notice you snipped this part, so I'll ask again:

On Jun 2, 7:22 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
You never look up any data at all...

Nice shot. Got data to support this assertion? :-)

The '97 NSC or whatever study you referenced above does not appear to
be readily freely available. Sure, I could devote my [in]valuable
time to searching local libraries for a copy, but that's your life,
not mine, and anyway...

Yeah, I know. The library is so far away.

The library isn't too far, but it's a very small town, and I doubt
they have the report. The next town is a good way off, and I doubt
they have it either. The point is I'd have to be some kind of
compulsive kook to spend the time trying to find access to the
information or spending money for it.

But you still feel
qualified to argue against published data.

Hey, I only *questioned* the claim that there were 72 million
bicyclists in the US, let alone your claim that there were "many
more". It may hinge on my definition of bicyclist, but there we are.

http://www.nsc.org/news_resources/in...istics/Pages/T...

"The odds of dying are statistical averages over the whole U.S.
population. They do not necessarily reflect the chances of death for a
particular person from a particular external cause. Any individual's
odds of dying from various external causes are affected by the
activities in which they participate, where they live and drive, what
kind of work they do, and other factors."

Regarding cycling: For either the population of any Westernized
country or the population of cyclists in any such county, the average
risk of serious injury or death is so low that even those at the most
risk get benefits outweighing the risks.

I have never suggested the risks of bicycling outweigh the benefits
(although they could for some people - it depends).

Those at most risk, BTW, appear to be the cyclists who violate basic
rules of the road and rules of common sense. Take them out of the
averages, and cycling looks even better. Take out the people who are
not very competent in traffic, and cycling looks better yet.

Of course, you get to choose which group you wish to be part of.

Us and them? :-)

... I am almost entirely concerned with these safety issues for my own
risk profile. Get it yet?

I'm not sure "concerned" fits in your case, at least, based on your
riding style as you've described it.

Frank, if I were unconcerned for my own safety, wouldn't I surely have
been roadkill long ago?

It's your choice, of course. But don't brag about riding like a
circus clown...

**** you ;-)

... , then tell us you're "concerned" about safety. That's
just inconsistent.

Old June 5th 11, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 4, 9:45*pm, Dan O wrote:

Frank, if I were unconcerned for my own safety, wouldn't I surely have
been roadkill long ago?

No, no, no, Dan, you're talking only about fatalities! Don't forget
the horror of skinned knees! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 5th 11, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jun 4, 7:04 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:45 pm, Dan O wrote:

Frank, if I were unconcerned for my own safety, wouldn't I surely have
been roadkill long ago?

No, no, no, Dan, you're talking only about fatalities! Don't forget
the horror of skinned knees! ;-)

Are you sure you're qualified to comment?