Barmy merkin revisited

Old July 24th 03, 02:50 AM
mark

Default Barmy merkin revisited

BlankThe recent "Barmy merkin" thread gave me an eye-opening view of how
other countries see the US (we're not all like that, honest!). At any rate,
I was relieved to learn that the newspaper that printed this woman's
anti-bicycle drivel received some 300 e-mails and letters commenting on her
column, nearly all of them criticizing Ms Morrison's sloppy journalism and
disagreeing with her sentiments. Below is a link to an article in the
Illinois Leader describing the response they got to Ms Morrison's column. I
thought the readers of this NG might be interested in seeing how quite a few
Americans responded to this woman's rantings.
http://illinoisleader.com/opinion/op...iew.asp?c=7123

--
mark

Old July 24th 03, 09:03 PM
James Hodson

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:50:31 GMT, "mark"
wrote:

BlankThe recent "Barmy merkin" thread gave me an eye-opening view of how
other countries see the US (we're not all like that, honest!). At any rate,
I was relieved to learn that the newspaper that printed this woman's
anti-bicycle drivel received some 300 e-mails and letters commenting on her
column, nearly all of them criticizing Ms Morrison's sloppy journalism and
disagreeing with her sentiments. Below is a link to an article in the
Illinois Leader describing the response they got to Ms Morrison's column. I
thought the readers of this NG might be interested in seeing how quite a few
Americans responded to this woman's rantings.
http://illinoisleader.com/opinion/op...iew.asp?c=7123

Hi Mark

There's a longish thread on this very subject in the rec.bicycles.misc
newsgroup. The thread is entitled "For the safety of others, please
keep off the highways"

The thread is worth a look-see, IMO. I'm just about to read the
comments on the URL you gave above.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 25th 03, 06:30 AM
mark

"James Hodson" wrote

There's a longish thread on this very subject in the rec.bicycles.misc
newsgroup. The thread is entitled "For the safety of others, please
keep off the highways"

The thread is worth a look-see, IMO. I'm just about to read the
comments on the URL you gave above.

James

I have indeed seen the thread in RBM, as well as threads in two bicycling
mailing lists that I follow. I was just a little embarassed that this
woman's drivel had come to the attention of cyclists outside the US. We
normally try to keep this kind of person out of sight so as not to look too
foolish to the rest of the world...

I do have to give the Illinois Leader credit for publishing all those
noticed that quite a few responses to her article were from outside the US.
--
mark

Old July 25th 03, 10:22 AM
Tim Woodall

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:56:27 +0000,
marc wrote:
mark wrote:

We
normally try to keep this kind of person out of sight so as not to look too
foolish to the rest of the world...

A pity then you elected her male counterpart! ;-(

Did they? I was under the impression that in the true American tradition,
they gave it to the person who could afford the most expensive lawyers. :-(

Tim.

and there was light.

Old July 25th 03, 10:56 AM
marc

mark wrote:

We
normally try to keep this kind of person out of sight so as not to look too
foolish to the rest of the world...

A pity then you elected her male counterpart! ;-(

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc
for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
Old July 26th 03, 09:45 AM
congokid

In article , Tim Woodall
writes
marc wrote:
mark wrote:

We
normally try to keep this kind of person out of sight so as not to look too
foolish to the rest of the world...

A pity then you elected her male counterpart! ;-(

Did they?

You're right, they didn't. Read Michael Moore's 'Stupid White Men' to
find out how it was done.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old July 26th 03, 11:30 AM
congokid

In article ink.net,
mark writes

http://illinoisleader.com/opinion/op...iew.asp?c=7123

That link (and the one that Google produces for a search on the Illinois
Leader) don't seem to work for me this morning.