Nutrician and Yuck

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 15th 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Nutrician and Yuck

The navy research developed ketone esters as an energy source for Seals in combat zones. It is light and supposedly sustaining.

This has been experimented with in in the peloton as well. They haven't been able to detect anything save perhaps a 1-2% gain.

So I bought three small containers for a small fortune to try my own experiment.

This morning was a perfect test. I went on a route of 2500 feet of climbing of an average of over 7% and maxing out at 12% in four or five areas including one in heavy traffic where you have to accelerate hard to cross traffic etc until you can get to the top.

I didn't have time to eat before I left so I cut the bottle per directions 50/50 water and swallowed it in several gagging gulps.

Immediately the thing that stood out is that it has an absolutely horrible taste. So bad that I brushed my teeth and keep mouthwash in my mouth while I shaved. This did NOT get rid of that taste. That taste remained with me for 3 hours.

During the ride I did not feel anything more than what I would expect - I was limited in my efforts to the normal slow fat burning state. Because I have so much climbing in I'm able to control my heart rate with pedaling speed. So I can keep it a little below my recommended max heart rate.

So, my judgement is that there isn't any there there. Paying $100 for three bottles of gook that is going to leave a taste in your mouth that is indescribably bad for hours hardly seems worth it even if it did give you a short term power burst.