Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

Old August 15th 19, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 10:31:49 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
wrote:

I suppose that being Hyperglide chains, Shimano only intends for them to be
used with 6/7/8 speed Hyperglide sprockets. I guess Hyperglide's ramps
take over the role of protruding pins snagging adjacent sprockets when
shifting.

In practice, I find that 8-speed compatible modern chains usually shift better on ancient freewheels than old style chains did. Whether that's due to increased lateral flexibility or beveled sideplates or both, I don't know.

My daily rider these days uses a Z72 8 speed chain, a Suntour 14-38 5 speed freewheel, a Microshift 9 speed rear derailleur, and Shimano 6 speed index thumbshifter. It all works fine together, which is more than you can say for a lot of newly produced stuff.

I will second that. I just put a 9 speed chain on a 6 speed with Shimano hyperdrive freewheel and it operated pretty good. Also the older heavier chains virtually lock solid with dirt whereas the newer chains just get harder to pedal.
Old August 15th 19, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

?On the two old bikes I just overhauled you had to shift them sharply. If you dragged it into the next gear it wouldn't shift for several revolutions.
Old August 15th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/15/2019 3:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
?On the two old bikes I just overhauled you had to shift them sharply. If you dragged it into the next gear it wouldn't shift for several revolutions.

Well, perhaps it's a skill or at least a habit. I've been riding these
bikes for decades, so I'm familiar with how they shift.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

Tom Kunich
Chains just don’t vary much in weight.
They do vary in length before trimming.
You DO trim your chain of excess links, don’t you?

Harry Travis
PDX, OR USA
Old August 16th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous

I should have written ‘don’t vary much in weight per link. A chain that seems heavier likely has more links out of the box than the one it replaces.’
Old August 17th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 12:56:22 PM UTC-7, incredulous wrote:
Tom Kunich
Chains just don’t vary much in weight.
They do vary in length before trimming.
You DO trim your chain of excess links, don’t you?

Harry Travis
PDX, OR USA

Yes, there isn't much difference in chain weights unless you are an extreme weight weenie. Wipperman seems to have the cheapest really high quality chains.

Installing rear wheel without dropping chain Joe Riel Techniques 18 January 6th 16 07:45 PM
Issue with Shimano 10 Speed chain dropping [email protected] Techniques 6 June 21st 06 01:35 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM
Variable quality Shimano MartinM UK 21 March 1st 04 11:31 AM
USPS dropping Trek and Shimano! anonymous Racing 39 January 2nd 04 11:12 PM