9 speed or 10 speed cluster?

Old December 17th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 9 speed or 10 speed cluster?

currently have 10 speed cluster, is a 9 speed better? what the
advantages and disadvantages?
105 shimano.
Old December 17th 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

also my top cog 25, i dont ever remember ever using that even up hills
Old December 17th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:
currently have 10 speed cluster, is a 9 speed better? what the
advantages and disadvantages?

All else equal, 9-speed equipment is much less expensive than 10-
speed. The same can be said for 8-speed in comparison to 9-speed, and
7-speed in comparison to 8.

7-speed cassettes and freewheels are available in the same tooth count
range (between 11 and 34 teeth) as cassettes with more sprockets, and
they allow rear wheels to be built stronger with slightly less dish.
For these reasons I consider 7-speed equipment to have the best cost-
benefit ratio of all derailleur systems.

Chalo
Old December 17th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tommy[_3_]

On Dec 17, 11:09 am, wrote:
currently have 10 speed cluster, is a 9 speed better? what the
advantages and disadvantages?
105 shimano.

In the Campy range some components are cheaper some more expensive.
The Ergo changer 10 is cheaper slightly, the cassette dearer(more
cogs).
10 is more available, at least in UK.
I believe you can change the ratchet in the changer if you can find an
agent who will obtain one.
Follow the GB pursuit team in the world cup - especially Steve
Cummings from Discovery. He still rides out with his old club mates.
Great Guy.
cheers
Old December 17th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tommy[_3_]

On Dec 17, 11:25 am, Chalo wrote:
wrote:
currently have 10 speed cluster, is a 9 speed better? what the
advantages and disadvantages?

All else equal, 9-speed equipment is much less expensive than 10-
speed. The same can be said for 8-speed in comparison to 9-speed, and
7-speed in comparison to 8.

7-speed cassettes and freewheels are available in the same tooth count
range (between 11 and 34 teeth) as cassettes with more sprockets, and
they allow rear wheels to be built stronger with slightly less dish.
For these reasons I consider 7-speed equipment to have the best cost-
benefit ratio of all derailleur systems.

Chalo

Perhaps it depends how much pressure you are under to stay in the
bunch.
I find I need the advantage of closer ratios and have not found
dishing an issue as I wear the rim before the spokes become an issue.
cheers
Tommy
Old December 17th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 17, 5:09 am, wrote:
currently have 10 speed cluster, is a 9 speed better? what the
advantages and disadvantages?
105 shimano.

If you already have 10, stay with 10. If you already have 9, stay
with 9. Unless your sponsor is buying everything for you. My last
bike build up was 10 because I was starting from scratch. I bought
all of the parts for that bike. 10 was easier to find, shifters
mainly. For my next bike build up it will be 9 because I have
acquired all of the parts already and they are sitting in boxes.
Shifters and cassettes and chains are the main parts.
Old December 17th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brad Kliewer

On Dec 17, 6:04 am, Tommy wrote:
On Dec 17, 11:25 am, Chalo wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I've got an old tri frame that I'm building up. My current hybrid is 8
speed and I find that there are a couple of places where I wish the
jumps weren't quite so large: I'm at an effort I want to maintain, but
the cadence feels either a bit higher or lower than I'd like. I, too,
was planning to use a 10 speed, but wonder whether a 9 would suffice.
A couple of friends I've mentioned this too say they've heard that 10
speeds are too finicky. My suspicion is that they simply don't know
how to adjust their rear derailleurs (I find I need to tweak my 8
speed only every once in a great while). Am I right in assuming from
the lack of such comments here, that this isn't really an issue?

Or maybe I should find one that goes to 11 so I can have the loudest.
Old December 17th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Brad Kliewer wrote:
On Dec 17, 6:04 am, Tommy wrote:
On Dec 17, 11:25 am, Chalo wrote:

wrote:
[...]

10 speed isn't finicky from experience for the last 5 years. Just keep
the cables clean and that isn't hard for a road bike.

Lou
Old December 17th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Lou Holtman wrote:

10 speed isn't finicky from experience for the last 5 years. Just keep
the cables clean and that isn't hard for a road bike.

Lou

more expensive, but easier to set up than 9 sp ime. Shifters seem to
last a bit better too
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl