Shimano 9 to shift 7 gears

Old June 7th 10, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shimano 9 to shift 7 gears

Hi there.

I've probably got things confused but what the heck I'll ask here to
be sure. VBG LOL

I know you can use a Campy 9 speed brifter and a modern Shimano rear
mech and a 7/8 speed chain to shift a Shimano 7 speed cluster.

Is there any way you can use a 9 speed Shimano bar-end shifter and a
Campy rear mech to shift a Shimano seven speed cluster? Without using
a shift-mate that is.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Old June 7th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 7, 6:23*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I've probably got things confused but what the heck I'll ask here to
be sure. VBG LOL

I know you can use a Campy 9 speed brifter and a modern Shimano rear
mech and a 7/8 speed chain to shift a Shimano 7 speed cluster.

Is there any way you can use a 9 speed Shimano bar-end shifter and a
Campy rear mech to shift a Shimano seven speed cluster? Without using
a shift-mate that is.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Run it friction. It's 7 speed and shouldn't be fussy. Just remember to
set your limit screws properly.
Old June 7th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 7-6-2010 13:23, Sir Ridesalot schreef:
Hi there.

I've probably got things confused but what the heck I'll ask here to
be sure. VBG LOL

I know you can use a Campy 9 speed brifter and a modern Shimano rear
mech and a 7/8 speed chain to shift a Shimano 7 speed cluster.

Is there any way you can use a 9 speed Shimano bar-end shifter and a
Campy rear mech to shift a Shimano seven speed cluster? Without using
a shift-mate that is.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Man, don't make such a 'mess' out of your setup. You can toss in some
SRAM components to make it complete ;-).
Use the friction mode as suggested.

Lou