Recovery and Diet

Old August 16th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Default Recovery and Diet

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:24:39 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 8/15/2019 2:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Remember when you could get maps at any gas station? I used to
get those and plan bicycle tours all over the country. You
don't get lost if you have this thing called "language" and
are willing to ask people.

Tried that recently? Almost nobody knows where they are,
anything about the neighborhood or especially how to go from
here to there.

I miss the maps too. I've been using a Garmin on my bike for a
while now, but still carry printouts of the local Indiana DOT
county maps that were lovingly curated by a passed friend

I was in Omaha recently and a block away from my destination.
Residents gave me the 1000 yard stare until I just happened to
discover that 38th Street is parallel and next to 38th Avenue.

Yeah, that part of Omaha can definitely be confusing. I lived not
far from there for many years--back in the 70s.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old August 16th 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:53:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 5:22:27 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/15/2019 8:30 PM, John B. wrote:
Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)

I'll put in a plug for a compass, too. Even when I have a GPS going,
unless I'm mindlessly following the instructions of the electronic lady
inside the thing, it's sometimes nice to know which direction I'm
pointing. Google Maps makes a guess, but it's plus or minus about 60
degrees.

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and the
ones on each bike have been even more useful.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank even the simpliest GPS can tell you in what direction one drives or rides. It is one datafield on my GPS based cycling computer.In the map screen there is always an arrow visible pointing to the north:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U81c9afmiqmHeBkr7

Or a simple phone app. I like paper maps in many ways, but Googlemaps on an iPhone works well, too. It shows you where you are and where you are going.

An old compass is fine, too, if you like do-dads on your handle bars, but it doesn't really tell you much when you're riding switchbacks. https://www..flickr.com/photos/georg...rge/8879832389 I can't remember the last time I needed a compass while riding, but then again, I usually have landmarks or I'm riding a known route.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 16th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 8/15/2019 8:30 PM, John B. wrote:
Well, I don't know whether I am a "tough guy" or not but I navigated
all over S.E. Asia using paper maps and a compass :-)

I'll put in a plug for a compass, too. Even when I have a GPS going,
unless I'm mindlessly following the instructions of the electronic
lady inside the thing, it's sometimes nice to know which direction I'm
pointing. Google Maps makes a guess, but it's plus or minus about 60
degrees.

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and
the ones on each bike have been even more useful.

Agreed. I have no sense of direction and often find myself moving
opposite the direction intended. I made sure to get a compass in the
car, and carry one on the bike whenever going anywhere unfamiliar.
Both have been useful many times.

I don't enjoy looking at the map on my cellphone -- when zoomed out
enough to plan a route all the street names disappear. But being able
to find my location once totally lost is quite handy.
Old August 16th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Joy Beeson writes:

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:25:24 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Whatever did people do before Google Maps?

I measured my route with a knotted string.

That would be quicker than Google Maps if I could buy paper maps.

Once I'd gotten around to knotting the string.

Never tried heaving the log on a bicycle. I suppose on a tandem that
would be the stoker's job.
Old August 16th 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Whatever did people do before Google Maps?

I measured my route with a knotted string.

That would be quicker than Google Maps if I could buy paper maps.

Once I'd gotten around to knotting the string.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

I use dividers on my topographical maps.

FWIW, I ran our club's century ride (plus the 100km version, and the 50
km version) for many years. To choose the routes, I used road maps at
larger scale and with more detail than the standard statewide maps, and
I used a "map measurer" to determine distance. It's a little device with
a wheel, maybe 5mm diameter, that you roll along the route. Convert map
distance to real distance using the map's scale. It was very accurate.

Since then, I've used Map My Ride website to plan a couple other rides.
Honestly, it's much more cumbersomem, but it's sometimes handy for
emailing the route to others.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/16/2019 4:53 AM, wrote:
[...]

Google Maps uses a little circle or similar icon to show your location,
and a "spray" of light to show the direction your facing. The "spray" is
about 120 degrees wide. That reflects the uncertainty in the orientation.

IME, this matters most often when exiting something like a parking lot
at a complicated intersection, where the lot itself may not be
represented and angles are not easy to ascertain. It's not generally a
problem while moving on roads.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 19, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/16/2019 10:42 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

The compass on the dash of my car has been quite handy at times, and
the ones on each bike have been even more useful.

Agreed. I have no sense of direction and often find myself moving
opposite the direction intended. I made sure to get a compass in the
car, and carry one on the bike whenever going anywhere unfamiliar.
Both have been useful many times.

I don't enjoy looking at the map on my cellphone -- when zoomed out
enough to plan a route all the street names disappear. But being able
to find my location once totally lost is quite handy.

One former cycling friend of mine (now gone, killed on a badly designed
bike facility) told me about a ride in a small plane to a city maybe an
hour or two away, owned by a friend of his.

His friend navigated by following the property lines and road grid,
which are mostly N-S-E-W west of here. But when they took off to return,
he mistook west for east on the cloudy day. They flew out of their way
for quite a while!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 16th 19, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

Since then, I've used Map My Ride website to plan a couple other rides.
Honestly, it's much more cumbersomem, but it's sometimes handy for emailing the
route to others.

Have you tried RideWithGPS? I like it much better than MapMyRide.

Old August 16th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 5:52:01 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:35:34 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 9:47:15 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:17:38 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

For your information, not that I need to provide, I've never smoked a
cigarette or tried smoking one in my entire life. You sir, are
completely delusional.

Cheers

Your delusions began when you started considering yourself some sort of
expert at anything. What have you done for a living since your replies
seem to indicate that it was something like ditch digging or hod
carrying.

Over here, ditch diggers, also called plumbers, generally gross more over
a lifetime than top surgeons.

Chalo is an East Indian name. Ask yourself what would happen to him if he so much as mentioned abortion in India. His parents would disclaim him.

Strange isn't it?
https://www.name-doctor.com/name-Cha...alo-46764.html

germanic / latin

NAME ROOT:
*GUNTHO / *GUNžIZ SALVUS / SAIWALA GUNDISALVUS

MEANING:
This name derives from the Medieval Latin and Germanic (Visigoth)
name "Gundisalvus", composed of two elements: the Germanic element
"guntho / *gunžiz\u201d (battle, fight, act of killing, blow, to
strike) plus the Latin word \u201csalvus\u201d (safe, well, unharmed,
untouched, saved, healthy, intact). The second element, however, could
also be attributed to the Germanic (Gothic) "saiwala", meaning "soul,
spirit". The popular meaning is "one who assists in battle". Saint
Gonzalo (or Gundisalvus) (~1040\u20131108), a medieval Galician
nobleman and clergyman, was the long-serving Bishop of Mondońedo from
1071.

Do you suppose those E. Indians are speaking Latin?
--
cheers,

John B.

Explain to us all why you are talking about this rather than Chalo? Do you have his power of attorney?
Old August 16th 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I have a good sense of direction but that's stymied by
suburbs with twisty loopy streets. On a cloudy day or at
night there's no way to maintain any sense of place or
direction. I hate that. [besides which they are expensive to
pave, expensive to plow, expensive for deliveries,
inefficient for emergency vehicles etc etc]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Diet Justin[_3_] UK 61 November 1st 12 08:08 PM
Doing the TdF on a vegan diet T. Miller Racing 2 July 2nd 11 02:46 AM
Diet Coker!!! unicyclepa Unicycling 0 September 3rd 06 05:51 AM
Biker's Diet ackfugue Techniques 34 July 14th 06 11:23 PM
Time to diet? Martin Bulmer UK 1 May 2nd 05 11:51 AM