Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Old August 19th 19, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 21:09:28 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

The bike is a Huffy Nighthawk Model 56347. The manual does not
specify whether it uses American or metric sizes.

Every bicycle I have ever seen used metric hardware (including Torx).
There are some legacy dimensions that use imperial (SAE) measurements,
such as tire sizes, seat post diameters, handelbar diameters, mountain
bike frame sizes, some wire gauges, and whatever else I forgot.
However, the small hardware seems to be all metric. Methinks it's a
fair bet that your Huffy Nighthawk is all metric.

I have just a set of American hex wrenches but could get a set
of metric wrenches and see if one of them fits the clamp bolt better.

I have the feeling that some of your problems are due to a lack of
proper tools.

Go to any LBS (local bike shop) and look at the tools they have
hanging in the shop. Notice that they're all metric.

I suggest that you hide your American (imperial or SAE) tools, and
replace them with metric.

Try not to drool at the tools or panic at the prices:
https://www.parktool.com/category/tool-kits
Video on one of the basic tool kits showing what each tool is used
for:
https://youtu.be/oEwCT86n3J8

I suspect you can't afford the very best, but you can borrow the list
of tools and buy the equivalent tools online or at your local hardware
store as you need them. I'm lacking quite a few of the tools show
simply because I've never really needed them (and can borrow them from
a real bicycle mechanic if desperate).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 19th 19, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect you can't afford the very best, but you can borrow the list
of tools and buy the equivalent tools online or at your local hardware
store as you need them.

Normally this is very sound advice. But in the case of owning a Huffy, the first and much more important priority is to locate and acquire a real bike that was designed and constructed to be ridden. The Huffy already performed the only job it was ever intended to do when the initial purchaser paid money for it. After that, it's best for it to be recycled immediately into something possibly useful.

Old August 19th 19, 08:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:09:30 AM UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 9:28:59 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/18/2019 10:11 PM, AK wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 8:25:40 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 17:35:54 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

The opening in the hex screw that holds the rear brake cable has become much looser than it used to be. What is the name of the part so I can order another one? (Hopefully they have some made of harder steel.)

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

It is simply a clamp bolt and the question is whether it holds the
brake cable tightly when it is tightened, If it does than I shouldn't
worry about it.

As the bolt should be clamping the cable between a flange or washer on
the bolt and the brake arm itself. When it is tightened it shouldn't
move at all.

Your picture looks a bit strange, but maybe it is the perspective. See
https://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.htmlto
from a slightly different angle.
--

Cheers,

John B.

If that clamp bolt gets enlarged much more so my hex wrench slips, it will definitely be a big problem.

Are you positive you're using the correct size hex wrench? Some people
mistakenly grab a U.S. (inch) wrench and use it on metric screws that it
_almost_ fits.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The bike is a Huffy Nighthawk Model 56347. The manual does not specify whether it uses American or metric sizes.

I have just a set of American hex wrenches but could get a set of metric wrenches and see if one of them fits the clamp bolt better.

Andy

Therein probably lies your problem with the bolt as Frank suggested. Even though Huffy might be an American name most likely those V-brake caliper bolts are metric not U.S. size. What I recommend is taking the bike to a bike shop and get them to give you another bolt and possibly the right size Hex wrench to fit it. You are much more likely to have the shop do that if you take the bike in on an off-peak time when they're not very busy.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 08:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 2:15:04 AM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect you can't afford the very best, but you can borrow the list
of tools and buy the equivalent tools online or at your local hardware
store as you need them.

Normally this is very sound advice. But in the case of owning a Huffy, the first and much more important priority is to locate and acquire a real bike that was designed and constructed to be ridden. The Huffy already performed the only job it was ever intended to do when the initial purchaser paid money for it. After that, it's best for it to be recycled immediately into something possibly useful.

Not everyone can afford a more expensive bike at the time of purchase; therefore they get a cheaper bike at first, figure out the kind of riding they want to mostly and also their future wants/needs and then they buy a better bike later when finances allow it.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

How will the bolt become enlarged so that the wrench slips?That seems
to be a contradiction in terms?
Perhaps some more photos would be helpful.

Ah, I think I have it. Your "Allen" wrench doesn't fit well and is
enlarging the internal wrenching head of the bolt. Not much you can do
about that except get a new bolt and the correct size wench.

In the interim have a look at
https://www.bikeride.com/adjust-v-brakes/
http://www.holliseaster.com/p/adjust-bike-brakes/

Old August 19th 19, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

The price of "Allen" wrench sets sufficient to fix a bicycle is
minute, in fact you may not be able to even buy a set small enough :-)
My entire bicycle uses 5 different size Allen wrenches,

Amazon has an set 8 wrench (metric) set for $4.99 and if you hang
around the "Cheap Chinese Stuff" shops that I do it will be even
cheaper.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 19th 19, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I've seen a LOT of hex-key head bolts that the hex socket was basically stripped on so that even a proper size hex key no longer worked on it. That can happen if a substandard quality bolt has too much torque applied to it or if the wrong size hex key is used.

AK has said that he used a U.S. Standard hex key on this bolt and that the head of it is NEARLY stripped to the point where he won't be able to tighten or loosen it.

Again, his best bet is to take the bike to a bike shop so that he can get a new undamaged bolt and also the proper size hex key to use on it.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

LOL! ;) I remember one ride I was on (going somewhere here in town) where I had forgot my tool kit and needed a hex key to tighten something. I went into a dollar store and bought a set of hex keys to use to tighten the item that needed tightening. Guess what? When i went to tighten the bolt the hex key round off so much it would not grip the bolt. Some Chinese made stuff must not have any tempering done to it at all. Now I pay the extra and by decent quality tools even if they're not top of the line ones.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

It's made in China with all metric fasteners.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 19th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 23:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suspect you can't afford the very best, but you can borrow the list
of tools and buy the equivalent tools online or at your local hardware
store as you need them.

Normally this is very sound advice. But in the case of owning a
Huffy, the first and much more important priority is to locate and
acquire a real bike that was designed and constructed to be ridden.
The Huffy already performed the only job it was ever intended to do
when the initial purchaser paid money for it. After that, it's best
for it to be recycled immediately into something possibly useful.

That's also very sound advice for most situations, but not this
situation. The owner will soon be using the Huffy to possibly learn
bicycle mechanics. Whether it's worth the time or money is not really
relevant. Such experience can best be gained on a low cost, low
quality, low risk, and low performance bicycle. Learn by
Destroying(tm) using an expensive bicycle can lead to expensive
mistakes. If done properly, the experience of repairing the Huffy
will demonstrate to the owner the difference between a department
store bicycle and a better quality bicycle.

Incidentally, most of my various bicycles got their start when I
fished them out of a dumpster or were abandoned after being stripped
of all possible components. I learned quite a bit putting them back
in working order using a mixture of junk and new components.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/
This one was just a frame and stem when I started.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Gary-Fisher-Tassajara.JPG
I'm undecided if it's better to learn by repairing or building a
bicycle. Eventually, everyone does both.