9 speed Ultegra cluster vs 10 speed Durace cluster

Old November 17th 04, 11:11 AM
Steve Chapman

Default 9 speed Ultegra cluster vs 10 speed Durace cluster

I have 10 speed Durace on my race bike.

I have a set of spare race wheels with a 9 speed Ultegra cluster.

Is it practical/possible to use the 9 speed Ultegra wheel from the wheel
wagon or do I need to cash out for a second Durace cluster ?
Old November 17th 04, 03:03 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Steve asks- I have 10 speed Durace on my race bike.

I have a set of spare race wheels with a 9 speed Ultegra cluster.

Is it practical/possible to use the 9 speed Ultegra wheel from the wheel
wagon or do I need to cash out for a second Durace cluster ? BRBR

I answered-" no. You need a 10s cogset. You can a American Classic 10s cogset
or 6600, as soon they are available".

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 17th 04, 06:41 PM
Weisse Luft

And 10s Dura Ace will fit on most 9s freehubs. Some limitations with
certain wheelsets but for the most part, it works.

--
Weisse Luft

Old November 17th 04, 06:56 PM
Sheldon Brown

Steve Chapman wrote:

I have 10 speed Durace on my race bike.
=20
I have a set of spare race wheels with a 9 speed Ultegra cluster.
=20
Is it practical/possible to use the 9 speed Ultegra wheel from the whee=

l=20
wagon or do I need to cash out for a second Durace cluster ?

Yes, if you install a 10 speed cassette on your spare wheel.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/10

We're still waiting for the Ultegra 10 speed cassettes to come in, but=20
we have Dura-Ace and IRD in stock. Any of these will work on any=20
Shimano 8- or 9-speed hub, though the versions that top out with an 11=20
tooth may require minor modificaton of older hubs.

Sheldon "Ten" Brown
| I=92m currently appearing in: |
| Gilbert & Sullivan's Iolanthe at M.I.T. |
| November 12, 13, 14 and 18, 19, 20, 21 |
| http://web.mit.edu/gsp/www |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old November 18th 04, 12:03 AM
Paul Kopit

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:11:53 +1300, Steve Chapman
wrote:

Is it practical/possible to use the 9 speed Ultegra wheel from the wheel
wagon or do I need to cash out for a second Durace cluster ?

At first blush, I'd say now. At no cost you can put the 9sp wheel
into the 10 sp bike and attach the rear derailleur cable to the top of
the cable mount screw.

Needless to say, if you had Campy 10 you could shift the Shimano 9 and
10 along with Campy 10.
Old November 18th 04, 03:31 PM
Rick Holstein

One problem I've encountered--with 9sp Shimano-compatible lightweight wheels
that use aluminum freehub bodies, the 10sp Shimano cassettes "dig" into the
splines because of fewer contact points. They dug so deeply into a set of
my wheels that I had to use a screwdriver to pry off the cassette, then file
down the deformed metal. The Shimano compatible10sp wheels apparently have
taller splines to prevent this.

Rick

"Weisse Luft" wrote in
message ...

And 10s Dura Ace will fit on most 9s freehubs. Some limitations with
certain wheelsets but for the most part, it works.

--
Weisse Luft

2005 Veloce 10 speed or 2005 Shimano 105 with half Ultegra Yuri Budilov Techniques 7 November 12th 04 03:28 PM
6 speed indexed freewheel to cassette meb Techniques 1 November 2nd 04 12:43 AM
Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub? Peter General 4 April 29th 04 09:52 AM
Ultegra 9 speed freehub Phil UK 2 April 25th 04 09:34 PM
8 speed STI levers Rik O'Shea Techniques 7 October 8th 03 01:17 AM