Spring Upgrade

Old April 19th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Spring Upgrade

My Trek 520 of 1993 vintage got a spring upgrade this past
weekend.

-- New, wider (44 cm) bars.

-- Conversion from threaded to threadless stem (adapter
plus 3 inch riser). 130 mm long stem with 7 degree rise.
The bars are now a bit higher than they've ever been. I
like it.

-- Fourth layer of Cinelli tan cork tape. I think the bars
are now a thick as I ever would want to have them, and
perhaps a bit too thick. We'll see.

-- 37 mm Conti "Contact" tires front and rear replacing my
old 32 mm Conti TT. I'm going to do the Nebraska Badlands
this summer along with part of RAGBRAI and decided it was
time to fatten up the tires. Ride is definitely a bit
smoother.

-- On order, a new handlebar bag. The old one has a steel
support frame that would not fit over the new stem.

I was looking at the bike a bit today while at work, admiring it.
The black LX cranks have shiny patches around where the pedals
attach where shoes have worn off the paint; the dark forest green
painted steel frame has a few areas of rust creeping in here and
there but mostly just dirty. The small chainring is original and
has an "gray aluminum" look to it, while the middle and large rings
(Race Face) are dirty, yet polished steel looking. The black Mavic
rims have completely polished sides from years of brake pad
interaction. (After by rim blowout of a couple weeks ago, I think
its time to replace them...next year).

I was thinking the wear on the bike is sort of a badge of honor.
Years of taking me to work or taking me across the country. Sort
of like an old dog that gains sentimental value from all the years
of loyal service, heightened by grayness and age.

I really love my 520.

SMH
Old April 19th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:
My Trek 520 of 1993 vintage got a spring upgrade this past
weekend.

-- 37 mm Conti "Contact" tires front and rear replacing my
old 32 mm Conti TT. I'm going to do the Nebraska Badlands
this summer along with part of RAGBRAI and decided it was
time to fatten up the tires. Ride is definitely a bit
smoother.

I'll be interested to hear how these work for you. I bought a Contact
for my rear tire, and the tread was barely worn after 3500 miles.
However, I had apparently damaged the cords digging the darn thing out
of the Sun CR-18 rim so badly that it had a nasty hump, so I replaced
the tire.

Pat
Old April 20th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Pat Lamb wrote:
Stephen Harding wrote:

My Trek 520 of 1993 vintage got a spring upgrade this past
weekend.

-- 37 mm Conti "Contact" tires front and rear replacing my
old 32 mm Conti TT. I'm going to do the Nebraska Badlands
this summer along with part of RAGBRAI and decided it was
time to fatten up the tires. Ride is definitely a bit
smoother.

I'll be interested to hear how these work for you. I bought a Contact
for my rear tire, and the tread was barely worn after 3500 miles.
However, I had apparently damaged the cords digging the darn thing out
of the Sun CR-18 rim so badly that it had a nasty hump, so I replaced
the tire.

Can't say enough good things about the Conti TTs. Great tire but
alas, disappearing from the market.

I've *heard* the Contacts are not up to the same standards as the
old TTs but I guess I'll find out for myself.

They seem a little narrow for 37's but I didn't have to put wider
fenders on because of them, so that's good.

SMH
Old April 21st 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:
My Trek 520 of 1993 vintage got a spring upgrade this past
weekend.

-- New, wider (44 cm) bars.

I need to do this to my tandem. But I don't really want to deal with
swapping over all the levers and what-not. Plus it's pretty far down my
project queue. It might gain precedence if it gets ridden a lot this
summer.

-- Conversion from threaded to threadless stem (adapter
plus 3 inch riser). 130 mm long stem with 7 degree rise.
The bars are now a bit higher than they've ever been. I
like it.

I should keep that in mind for the next time I try and use a frame
that's too small for myself.

-- Fourth layer of Cinelli tan cork tape. I think the bars
are now a thick as I ever would want to have them, and
perhaps a bit too thick. We'll see.

Err, I don't suppose you'd like to supply a picture? That seems like a
*lot* of tape.

-- 37 mm Conti "Contact" tires front and rear replacing my
old 32 mm Conti TT. I'm going to do the Nebraska Badlands
this summer along with part of RAGBRAI and decided it was
time to fatten up the tires. Ride is definitely a bit
smoother.

I'm mainly using Schwalbe Marathon Pluses these days. The ride is
good, but they are heavy as hell. OTOH, I've been riding them for
months and zero punctures, so they're worth it IMO.

--
Dane Buson -
"A sportsman is a man who, every now and then, simply
Old April 22nd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Dane Buson wrote:
Stephen Harding wrote:

-- Fourth layer of Cinelli tan cork tape. I think the bars
are now a thick as I ever would want to have them, and
perhaps a bit too thick. We'll see.

Err, I don't suppose you'd like to supply a picture? That seems like a
*lot* of tape.

Yeah I'll try and get a picture up on the web today. So far,
it feels OK, but I don't think I'll go any thicker.

-- 37 mm Conti "Contact" tires front and rear replacing my
old 32 mm Conti TT. I'm going to do the Nebraska Badlands
this summer along with part of RAGBRAI and decided it was
time to fatten up the tires. Ride is definitely a bit
smoother.

I'm mainly using Schwalbe Marathon Pluses these days. The ride is
good, but they are heavy as hell. OTOH, I've been riding them for
months and zero punctures, so they're worth it IMO.

I've heard good things about the Schwalbes as well, albeit rather
pricey.

If these Conti Contacts don't perform to my standards, I think the
Schwalbe will be my next test.

The weight doesn't really matter on this particular bike. It weighs
in around 35-40 pounds in normal commute mode.

SMH

Old April 22nd 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Dane Buson wrote:
Stephen Harding wrote:

-- Fourth layer of Cinelli tan cork tape. I think the bars
are now a thick as I ever would want to have them, and
perhaps a bit too thick. We'll see.

Err, I don't suppose you'd like to supply a picture? That seems like a
*lot* of tape.

Take a look at http://mysite.verizon.net/smharding/

Doesn't look especially thick from these photos, but
if you look closely at the actual metal of the bar
near the stem, then compare the thickness of the tape
you'll see it's quite thick.

Almost like those foam pads from *Mart that lots of
people derided but I loved back in the 80's.

Of course, Cinelli cork tape was going for $16/per
roll at my LBS. I bought two more rolls for my joy
bike which I wrap in alternating red and black spirals.
I bought almost $50 worth of handlebar tape that day!!!

SMH
Old April 22nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:

Take a look at http://mysite.verizon.net/smharding/

Seems to want the index.htm at the end.

Try http://mysite.verizon.net/smharding/index.htm

SMH
Old April 24th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:

Seems to want the index.htm at the end.

If you'd called it index.html it probably wouldn't.
--
Regards
Alex

replacing cage spring in Campy Racing Triple? res09c5t Techniques 0 July 8th 05 03:45 PM
Campy 9S to 10S upgrade (again and finally) [email protected] Techniques 10 June 19th 05 02:49 PM
Sun 29er upgrade paco Unicycling 13 March 22nd 05 08:55 PM
Shimano LX B-Tension Adjustment: Need Heavier Spring? HKEK Techniques 4 October 28th 04 02:19 AM
Spring for Raleigh branded Suntour RD Paul Southworth Techniques 5 August 11th 03 12:02 PM