Bike for big AND tall person

Old July 14th 03, 09:14 PM
Peter Cole

Default Bike for big AND tall person

"Frank Eparvier" wrote in message
I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict
on it?

Don't know what you're looking for in terms of style or price range, but being
6'10", 235, I've gone through a few learning curves. For road riding, I think
a touring bike is a good choice. These bikes are made a little stronger (and
heavier), both in the frames and components, particularly wheels, which are
often the weakest link. Touring frames can also take larger tires, and have
somewhat longer wheelbases, which makes them better for the big and tall,
respectively.

For less demanding riding, or a lower price point, mountain bikes are probably
the best choice. At your weight, suspension components may be marginal. For
serious mountain biking, the big/heavy rider is better off using components
for the more aggressive "downhill" bikes. They, like touring stuff, are
overbuilt a bit. A mountain bike can be easily set up with narrow, smooth,
high pressure, tires for less rolling resistance on pavement.

Bike setup is critical for the non-standard size rider. The best resource is a
competent bike shop. They should know what'll work and be there for after-sale
support. Again, wheels are *very* important. You'll need not only fairly
rugged wheels, but they'll also need to be well tensioned and stress relieved.
Typical bike wheels are often sold with spoke tension too low, and that makes
for a weak wheel and problems down the road.

Old July 15th 03, 02:30 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:24:37 -0600, Frank Eparvier
wrote:

I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict
on it?

Rivendell Redwood.

http://rivbike.com/webalog/frames/50135.html
Old July 15th 03, 01:42 PM
Peter Cole

wrote in message
. ..

"Frank Eparvier" wrote in message
I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict
on it?

Thanks,
Frank

While it's not a road bike, it's a big bike that might could fit you . . .
its at
http://www.coker.com/monster/monster.html and I've seen some on eBay for
$350. It's a cruiser, single speed, wheels are 36" diameter. Like a
bellybutton, it's something to look into . . .

That's a really stupid bike.

Old July 16th 03, 12:51 AM

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
wrote in message
. ..

"Frank Eparvier" wrote in message
I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict
on it?

Thanks,
Frank

While it's not a road bike, it's a big bike that might could fit you . .

..
its at
http://www.coker.com/monster/monster.html and I've seen some on eBay

for
$350. It's a cruiser, single speed, wheels are 36" diameter. Like a
bellybutton, it's something to look into . . .

That's a really stupid bike.

Don't know why. I'm sure there are folks out there who would find it a
perfect solution to their biking needs.

Old July 16th 03, 02:29 AM
MYMACV

I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict

Rivendell makes a larger version of their Romulus called the Redwood with
beefier tubing for the heavier rider. I think that the frame size goes up to at
least 67cm. Price is about $1500, complete bike.
Old July 16th 03, 04:21 AM
Chalo

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

Frank Eparvier wrote:

I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict
on it?

Rivendell Redwood.

http://rivbike.com/webalog/frames/50135.html

I am 6'8" and 360lbs, and I would strongly advise you to avoid
ultra-tall frames made with small-diameter tubing (like the Redwood)
unless they are unusually heavy. My experience with such bikes is
that they are wiggly to the point of instability, and that they are
more prone to structural failure than frames made from oversized
tubing.

What diameters qualify as "oversized" depends on the material in
question: For instance, in a steel downtube, 1 1/4" (32mm) is
oversized, but for aluminum you're looking at 1 3/4" (44mm) or more.

I have had good luck with Cannondale touring bikes, particularly the
older kind with a non-tapered downtube. At one time those were made
in a 27" frame size, though Peter Cole might have hoarded all the
remaining examples. ;^)

Don't be tempted by aluminum or plastic (carbon) forks. Use a quality
steel fork. Consider getting one intended for tandem use.

At your weight, I believe 700c wheels with normal spoke counts are
going to give you reliability problems. Have some wheels built up
with 48 spokes, or with 36 spokes on very sturdy deep-section aero
rims. The dishless rear wheel you can get by using a SRAM 7-speed
internal gear hub will be much stronger and more durable than a dished
wheel for a derailleur bike.

Get a frame with cantilever brake mounts. Not only do these offer
more stopping power for someone of your weight, but they allow the use
of wider tires than most caliper brakes do. Narrow tires such as
those used on most road racing bikes are not suitable for a heavy
rider.

Don't use a square taper crank; if you ride hard, you will snap it
off. Use a splined or pinch-bolted crank (and not Shimano). You have
been warned.

You are a prime candidate for a custom-made frame. There are quality
framebuilders around who will make one especially for your
measurements for $1000 or less.

Chalo Colina
Old July 16th 03, 04:27 AM
Chalo

"Peter Cole" wrote, about the Coker Monster
Cruiser:

That's a really stupid bike.

Cool tires though. And you can get good quality rims (as compared to
Coker rims) for them at http://www.unicycle.com .

Chalo
Old July 16th 03, 04:40 AM
example.com

I'm 6'7 and weigh about 295.

I now have a circa 1986-87 Cannonbdale 27" Aluminum Frame Road Bike
purchased new (I really like this bike...)
27x1-1/4, 36 spoke 3 cross wheels..

I also have a (1 year old) Giant Sedonna(??) Hybrid.

In both cases, the LBS was instrumental in getting the bike(s) set up
properly.
First shop is Bicycle Habitat (the cannondale - NY, NY)
Second is Belitte Bicycle (giant - Jamaica, NY)

Years ago you couldn't find alot of stuff for us non-midgets. Now, you can
frequently find a big helmet (Bell King Head??), shoes (14/48-16/50) and XXL
gloves. If you find 2 out of three, they are probably used to fitting your
size.

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...

Old July 16th 03, 07:48 AM
Chalo

wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote:

That's a really stupid bike.

Don't know why. I'm sure there are folks out there who would find it a
perfect solution to their biking needs.

No, not really. It has huge wheels, but it's really about the same
"one size" as other beach cruisers. Plus, though its frame shows
acceptable workmanship, its components are distinctly crappy. If the
wheels were regular size, it would cost not more than $150 at a bike
shop.

With a good pair of rims from Unicycle.com ($180) and some quality BMX
hubs, cranks, stem, and bars ($250+), It would be an OK bike. But it
still wouldn't fit unusually large folks.

Chalo Colina
Old July 16th 03, 12:40 PM
Peter Cole

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...

I have had good luck with Cannondale touring bikes, particularly the
older kind with a non-tapered downtube. At one time those were made
in a 27" frame size, though Peter Cole might have hoarded all the
remaining examples. ;^)

I haven't yet, but I expect you to remember me in your will.