STOLEN: Panasonic Commuting/Touring bike

Old December 8th 03, 06:08 AM
Bob McCutcheon

Default STOLEN: Panasonic Commuting/Touring bike

STOLEN: PANASONIC COMMUTING/TOURING BIKE

After 21 years of living in the same Takoma Park
bungalow, I regret to report that I have experienced
my first burglary -- a burglary that targeted just
one item: the Panasonic Pro-Touring road bicycle that
I use for daily, year-round commuting. I will be
extremely grateful for any information that may lead
to the recovery of this bike, which was stolen from
my home sometime between 9pm on Saturday, 12/6, and 3pm
on Sunday, 12/7 -- with suspicion obviously falling on
the middle of the night. The thieves stole the bike
from our garden shed and lifted it across our rear fence.
From there the tire tracks lead to the street and
disappear -- most likely into a truck.

I suspect this was a well-planned theft, as nothing other
than the bike was taken. Someone obviously knew what he/she
was looking for.

The description follows below. Please send any
information to:

Bob McCutcheon
H: (301) 587-0776

W: (240) 568-5111

Again, I will be most thankful for any help.

BTW, this bike originally came to me from Steve Ciccarelli
of tandem and Cyberider fame.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

BIKE: PANASONIC PRO-TOURING, ~1987 vintage,
18/19 inch frame, Tange-2 CrMo

COLOR: slate grey

EQUIPPED AS FOLLOWS:

o Dropped handlebars; old-fashioned, non-aero brake
levers; rear view bar-end mirror on the left side
o Brooks saddle
o Cantilever brakes
o Non-indexed down-tube shifters
o Campagnolo triple chainrings, cranks, and sealed
bottom bracket
o Platform pedals with clips
o Three water bottle cages (one of them in use for
Cateye Stadium lamp battery)
o Wheels --
o front: Sun CR-18, 36-spoke, Phil Wood hub
o rear: new 36-spoke no-name with 8-speed free-
hub (fortunately, I had just removed my
good 40-spoke wheel with Phil Wood hub
the previous day)
o Panaracer Pasela 700x35 tires front and rear
o front and rear fenders, matte silver/chrome
finish
o Racks --
o rear: Nitto rack with Rivendell (Baggins)
canvas panniers
o front: Blackburn rack **and** Blackburn low-
rider with one red Ortlieb front-roller
bag and an unwired motorcycle horn
o More lights than most three other bikes combined:
o front: 1) Cateye Stadium lamp
2) 6-volt Niterider
o rear: 1) ~12-inch diameter yellow flasher
similar to those found on highway
barricades (i.e., an Ed Kearney
light system from the 1970s)
2) 2 flashing red strobes
3) ~3-inch diameter red and yellow
reflectors

There is a photo available at the following link:

http://users.rcn.com/delimadantas/st...anasonic_1.jpg

Old December 8th 03, 01:05 PM
Lewis Campbell

I'm sorry to hear about your bike.

Might I suggest that you include the area where you live?

--
Lewis.

*******************************

"Bob McCutcheon" wrote in message
STOLEN: PANASONIC COMMUTING/TOURING BIKE

After 21 years of living in the same Takoma Park
bungalow, I regret to report that I have experienced
my first burglary -- a burglary that targeted just
one item: the Panasonic Pro-Touring road bicycle that
I use for daily, year-round commuting. I will be
extremely grateful for any information that may lead
to the recovery of this bike, which was stolen from
my home sometime between 9pm on Saturday, 12/6, and 3pm
on Sunday, 12/7 -- with suspicion obviously falling on
the middle of the night. The thieves stole the bike
from our garden shed and lifted it across our rear fence.
From there the tire tracks lead to the street and

Old December 8th 03, 03:31 PM
Matthew

"Bob McCutcheon" wrote in message
STOLEN: PANASONIC COMMUTING/TOURING BIKE

Can I assume you have already contacted the local police and your insurance
provider?

Old December 8th 03, 03:58 PM
R.White

Bob McCutcheon wrote in message ...
STOLEN: PANASONIC COMMUTING/TOURING BIKE

After 21 years of living in the same Takoma Park
bungalow, I regret to report that I have experienced
my first burglary -- a burglary that targeted just
one item: the Panasonic Pro-Touring road bicycle that
I use for daily, year-round commuting. I will be
extremely grateful for any information that may lead
to the recovery of this bike, which was stolen from
my home sometime between 9pm on Saturday, 12/6, and 3pm
on Sunday, 12/7 -- with suspicion obviously falling on
the middle of the night. The thieves stole the bike
from our garden shed and lifted it across our rear fence.
From there the tire tracks lead to the street and
disappear -- most likely into a truck.

I suspect this was a well-planned theft, as nothing other
than the bike was taken. Someone obviously knew what he/she
was looking for.

Sounds like someone you probably know or have met.

I lived in Memphis, Tn. and a neighbor in my apt. complex
had a shipmate over one day (he's in the Navy). A few nights
later I observe this car driving very slow through the parking
lot and it stops right at this guys truck. A man gets out,
climbs in to the truck bed and breaks the sliding rear window.
He's half-in half-out of the truck when I open my apt. door and
start to run down 3 flights of stairs to catch him. He flees, jumps
back into the awaiting car and they speed off. I go get my neighbor
and tell him someone broke into his truck. I tell him I think it
was the same guy he had over his apt. a few days earlier. He says
there is no way his friend would do such a thing. He was wrong.
It was the same "friend".

Old December 8th 03, 04:28 PM
Bob McCutcheon

Matthew -- Yes on both counts. The good news is that my insurance will cover
the replacement cost. The bad news, of course, is that it will take a good
deal of my time to equip any replacement in the same manner as the stolen
bike. -- Bob Mc

Old December 8th 03, 04:57 PM
KBH

Somehow I doubt that anyone who would appreciate that bike, or the care with
which you assembled its components, would be inclined to steal it. It was
probably just too easy and too visible a target for the local stolen bike
operation to ignore. Since this occured during the snow storm, they were
probably out on the prowl, figuring that law enforcement would be
pre-occupied with other things, and that the cover and confusion of this
much snow would make their getaway that much easier...

I've read that most stolen bikes end up in Mexico, or perhaps China or
southeast Asia.

I hope you get it back of course...

"Bob McCutcheon" wrote in message
STOLEN: PANASONIC COMMUTING/TOURING BIKE

After 21 years of living in the same Takoma Park
bungalow, I regret to report that I have experienced
my first burglary -- a burglary that targeted just
one item: the Panasonic Pro-Touring road bicycle that
I use for daily, year-round commuting. I will be
extremely grateful for any information that may lead
to the recovery of this bike, which was stolen from
my home sometime between 9pm on Saturday, 12/6, and 3pm
on Sunday, 12/7 -- with suspicion obviously falling on
the middle of the night. The thieves stole the bike
from our garden shed and lifted it across our rear fence.
From there the tire tracks lead to the street and

Old December 8th 03, 05:15 PM
Carl Fogel

Bob McCutcheon wrote in message ...

[snip]

Dear Bob,

You might have better luck if you mention
where Takoma Park is. Not everyone will
enlarge your picture to see what state
is mentioned on your license plate.

"The chief of police of a Southern city
once gave me a description of a man, complete
even to the mole on his neck, but neglected
to mention that he had only one arm."

--From the Memoirs of a Private Detective
by Dashiell Hammett

Sorry that your bike's gone.

Carl Fogel