Meeting cyclists via Usenet?

Old January 8th 04, 02:54 AM
frkrygow

Default Meeting cyclists via Usenet?

Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously took
me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.

I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his far-distant
town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough to not answer
the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a chance to accept our
invitation here, although he'd planned to.

Is this common?

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

Old January 8th 04, 03:03 AM
Claire Petersky

"frkrygow" wrote in message
Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Common? Heck no.

Has it happened to me?

Well, I've met Dane. He goes the other way from me, so we usually pass like
strangers in the night. I wouldn't ride with him if we were going the same
direction -- he's too fast for me.

There's a guy whose posts I've read a lot of on the local bike commuter
board who I met. As it turns out, we share 2/3s of the same route, so if we
actually are riding at the same time, we end up riding together.

Dale Lally very kindly lent me a bike and took me around Ft. Lauderdale two
years ago when I happened to be in Florida for a conference. That was really
nice of him.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Old January 8th 04, 03:25 AM
Gordon Renkes

frkrygow wrote:
Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

I believe you and I discussed cycling advocacy issues via email before
we met at an Ohio Bicycle Federation meeting several years ago. I
suppose we read each other's postings first. After learning about the
new bill introduced into the Ohio Senate recently, we may pick up where
we left off last time.

I have made first acquaintance with several of my cycling buddies when
they enrolled in my LAB Road-1 cycling classes over the years.

G. Renkes

Old January 8th 04, 03:41 AM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:54:27 -0500, frkrygow wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Yeah -- I*met "Mike Yankee" after having gotten to know him here.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old January 8th 04, 03:42 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:54:27 -0500, ,
"frkrygow" wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

I've met three. One fluke, two arranged.
--
zk
Old January 8th 04, 04:18 AM
S o r n i

frkrygow" "frkrygow wrote:
Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Probably fairly common to meet one or two people. When I was exclusively a
mountain biker, I met quite a few members of AM-B, and still see some of
them quite often.

Bill "haven't taken a road trip to do a road RIDE yet" S.

Old January 8th 04, 05:52 AM
Mike Latondresse

Zoot Katz wrote in
:

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:54:27 -0500, ,
"frkrygow" wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to
face after first encountering each other on Usenet?

I've met three. One fluke, two arranged.

Don't forget you avoided me (crowd at the Gastown GP my ass).
Old January 8th 04, 06:08 AM
Matt O'Toole

frkrygow" "frkrygow wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously
took me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.

I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his
far-distant town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough
to not answer the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a
chance to accept our invitation here, although he'd planned to.

Is this common?

I've met three or four people through this newsgroup, and ridden with a couple
when they were in town -- one from England. (Hi Phil!) I've also met people in
other ways, and heard, "so *you're*..."

I'm always glad to meet more. So if anyone's in southwest VA...

Matt O.

Old January 8th 04, 01:37 PM
David Kerber

In article , "frkrygow"
says...
Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

After a recent invitation ("If you're ever in the neighborhood...") I
started thinking. I've actually met at least four cyclists via this
route. I've ridden with two of the four, and one couple graciously took
me and my family into their home on a recent bike tour.

I've had a couple near misses, too - one guy was out of his far-distant
town when I passed through (or alternately, knew enough to not answer
the phone! ;-) And sadly, Ken Kifer never had a chance to accept our
invitation here, although he'd planned to.

Is this common?

I doubt it's exactly "common", but I know from personal experience
that it happens. I was looking for some to ride with for a long (new
personal longest, actually) ride, and did so.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old January 8th 04, 03:31 PM
Dane Jackson

In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky wrote:

Just out of curiosity - is it common for cyclists to meet face to face
after first encountering each other on Usenet?

Well, I've met Dane. He goes the other way from me, so we usually pass like
strangers in the night. I wouldn't ride with him if we were going the same
direction -- he's too fast for me.

Awww, I'd slow down for you Claire. Well, at least occasionally.

I ran into Chalo at Bikeworks. He was teaching the class on wheelbuilding.
What tipped me off was him talking about Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle
Wheel" and describing him as a curmudgeonly engineer [1]. I figured out
from that that he was a rb.tech reader.

Which reminds me, I need to get around to finishing that front wheel I
have three quarters finished.

[1] I think I'm remembering the phrase correctly.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the