Pacifier

Old July 19th 03, 04:38 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

Default Pacifier

The Stage winner at the TdF today came across the line, all posed for
the cameras, just like everyone else does.

Except that he had a pacifier in his mouth.

As he was coming into the finish area, instead of madly zipping up his
jersey and smoothing himself out for the cameras like everyone else,
he was madly digging in his jersey pockets. And came up with the
pacifier.

Just imagine someone pedaling thousands of kilometers, uphill and
down, carrying a goddamn pacifier in his jersey -- just in case he won
a stage somehow and had to have his picture taken.

It boggles my feeble mind.
Old July 19th 03, 08:04 PM
Tom Keats

In article m,
Zippy the Pinhead writes:

Just imagine someone pedaling thousands of kilometers, uphill and
down, carrying a goddamn pacifier in his jersey -- just in case he won
a stage somehow and had to have his picture taken.

Maybe he dedicated his effort on that stage to his newborn kid,
and the pacifier was some sort of mojo, amulet or charm to him?

Or maybe it was just a sneaky drug delivery system w

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 20th 03, 12:35 AM
Jim Edgar

Kevan Smith at // wrote on 7/19/03 12:33 PM:
He probably carried it as a good luck charm.

Here's what Velonews wrote:

snipped
"It's a dream come true for any professional rider
to win a stage on the Tour," said the Spaniard,
who spent three years at ONCE without a single
win. "I was thinking about my wife and daughter
who are the two most important things in my life."

Quoted in the same article:

"I have it in my pocket every day I race, so I remember my baby and don't
take too many risks on the descents" -
Carlos Sastre

Old July 20th 03, 01:27 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message
m...
The Stage winner at the TdF today came across the line, all posed for
the cameras, just like everyone else does.

Except that he had a pacifier in his mouth.

It must be a Spanish thing, the other day that other
Spanish guy Flecha did that lame bow and arrow
thing.

I remember back in the1993 TdF when I took the stage of
Saint-Lary-Soulan / Pla d'Adet.

I made a big D and B symbol when I came across the line.

You see Drew Barrymore was in Soulan the night before,
she was in between filming Wayne's World 2 and Bjergen
Kjergen Amy Fisher Story and out for a good time in France!

That was before she let herself get old and fat.

Old July 20th 03, 06:54 AM
John Black

Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message ws.com...
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:35:19 GMT, Jim Edgar
wrote:

"I have it in my pocket every day I race, so I remember my baby and don't
take too many risks on the descents" -

That is cool. In fact, that is downright classy.

But it still leaves the question: why the HELL did he have to cross
the finish line with it stopping up his gob?

Binkies, pacifiers, dummies (British term), are these days commonly
seen in the possession of people much over the age of 5. They are
used for enjoyment while using the drug Ecstasy (an MDMA for the
inhibition of seratonin reuptake which induces a sense of happiness)
popular in the last 10 years among teenagers and college students
going to "raves".

I'm really relieved that Sastre was expressing his love for his family
and not for the drug. I hate to say it, but Ecstasy was the first
thing that came to mind when I saw the adult sucking a pacifier. I
agree with Zippy that holding the thing up in the air would have made
more sense than sucking on it.

john//