Prego's and bikes

Old July 20th 03, 04:10 AM
sunkissed

Default Prego's and bikes

I am wanting start riding and was just wondering if this sport is really
safe for a pregnant gal (13 weeks). I am in fairly descent shape and am
25 yrs. I know I will look probably dumb and fall off the first few
weeks but after some practice I don't see a problem. My husband was in
to bicycle racing and has a nice Trek. I was considering getting it back
into shape and useing it. Would a mountain bike be better due to my
inconvient condition.

Old July 20th 03, 10:46 AM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Over on uk.rec.bicycles lurk and post a couple of ladies who cycled well into
pregnancy. Perhaps a post there will get you some advice from the ladies with
the recent experience.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old July 20th 03, 03:57 PM
Robin Hubert

"sunkissed" wrote in message
I am wanting start riding and was just wondering if this sport is really
safe for a pregnant gal (13 weeks). I am in fairly descent shape and am
25 yrs. I know I will look probably dumb and fall off the first few
weeks but after some practice I don't see a problem. My husband was in
to bicycle racing and has a nice Trek. I was considering getting it back
into shape and useing it. Would a mountain bike be better due to my
inconvient condition.

Hey Sunkissed,
Ask your doctor!
BTW, you don't fall off a bike, usually. Most often you fall with it.

--
Robin Hubert

Old July 20th 03, 04:55 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

I'll tell Myra and Becka you refered to them as experienced ladies!

Indeed they are :-D Experienced in cycling and experienced in being preggers
;-)

AFAIR, Helen, both gals cycled until quite late into their
pregnancies.

That's how I remember it - both gradually changing from drops to bikes with a
more upright position as pregnancy progressed and also slowing down so as not
to overheat on a cycle ride.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Old July 20th 03, 11:20 PM
FlashSteve

I am a guy and don't have any qualifications to speak about this BUT

athletic literature always points out the dangers of overheating for pregnant
women and their fetus

Talk with your medical professional, and be careful.

Steve Scarich
Old July 21st 03, 12:35 AM
Tanya Quinn

sunkissed wrote in message ...
I am wanting start riding and was just wondering if this sport is really
safe for a pregnant gal (13 weeks). I am in fairly descent shape and am
25 yrs. I know I will look probably dumb and fall off the first few
weeks but after some practice I don't see a problem. My husband was in
to bicycle racing and has a nice Trek. I was considering getting it back
into shape and useing it. Would a mountain bike be better due to my
inconvient condition.

If you were already a cyclist then I would think that cycling into
pregnancy would be fine. I don't think now would be the best time to
learn, especially when you say you think you will "fall off the first
few weeks" - does not seem to be a good thing while pregnant. Talk to
your doctor first. Swimming would probably be better exercise to take
up while pregnant, and start cycling after the baby arrives.
Old July 21st 03, 01:28 AM
Chalo

James Hodson wrote:

AFAIR, Helen, both gals cycled until quite late into their
pregnancies.

The late great U.S. women's champion racer, Miji Reoch of Dallas TX,
was said to have ridden her bike to the hospital to deliver her baby.

Damn.

Chalo Colina