Santiago Trail, Corona, CA

Old January 16th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default Santiago Trail, Corona, CA

I may be wrong on the name but OMG! I never really knew what steep was
until THIS trail! Jamie, Don, me and John met last Saturday for one of
the most amazing Muni adventures I've had yet! Unfortunately John
(Vivalargo) was and is still nursing an injured knee so he couldn't
ride, but he still managed to hike with us for the full 3.5 hour, 12
miles of rugged terrain!

Some of the sections were so insanely steep, rutted, long, and rocky,
so *if* you were lucky enough to ride down without a upd-and we all had
our share-you'd look back up at what you just came down and be in total
disbelief at how it could even be ridden!
_Pics_number_1_&_6_show_(but_again_you_have_to_see _it_in_person!)_one_of_the_DH_sections_if_you_look _close._

Some of this trecherous singletrack was right on the peak of the
mountain ridge, with so little margin for error; you just did NOT want
to fall with a sheer cliff on wither side! Anyway, I didn't realize
that I had my camera set at "vga", the lowest resolution. So hopefully,
John and Jamey will post some of their pics soon as well.

24526

24527

24528

24529

24530

24531

24532

24533

|Filename: DSC01372.JPG |

MuniAddict

My Videos:

'http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699
' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Nice

There was a section of an illeagal trail I -thought -of going down that
was prob almost that steep but wide like this part, not as exposed, and
smoother, but about 3x's as that section.

I would have attempted it if there were a couple trees for mounting
assistance but didn't because there were only flimsy bushes and it's
illeagality.

MuniAddict wrote:

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...hmentid=24528]

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Bob Burnquist on how to improve significantly.

yunisyko wrote:
it's all about balls. i lose them often and then get em back.

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
seriousslacker

Here are a few photos all taken by John Long, our intrepid photographer,
who would have preferred riding to hiking.
24536

24537

24538

24539

24540

24541

24542

|Filename: IMG_4903.jpg |

seriousslacker
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
seriousslacker

Two more
24544

24543

|Filename: IMG_4924.jpg |

seriousslacker
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The Munieer

Cheeeerzz! Gentlemen!

Looks like great fun. Some questions. Anyone can answer.

1. Was anyone running a brake? If so, did it help/hinder?

2. Did the rain the previous week, soften up the soil, to help with
grip or was it totally dry?

3. Those of you who had run Elevator shaft, how does this compare to
that steepness?

Great Stuff!

Ride Safe!

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - Email teachndad (att) gmail(dott) com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicyclingLA.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
seriousslacker

Terry was using a brake - it helps on smooth steep dirt. I would have
saved a lot of energy if I had one on his trip, but I got a better
workout!

The rain made the dirt very grippy, which made it extremely nice.

It was as steep or steeper, and much, much longer than elevator shaft.
I imagine once it dries out completely it would not be as much fun to
ride.

--
seriousslacker
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle6869

Terry, the trail is called Skyline well actually the fireroad up is
called Skyline Drive and I'm calling the trail down Skyline Singletrack
(and my name is spelled Jamey ).

It is a great trail and one of my new favorites. I'm going to try and
ride out in the Santa Ana Mts once a week to find more like that and/or
do that one again. I'll post pictures later when I get them on my
computer.

I hiked/rode some of it two days before we did the official ride and it
was a lot more wet and slippery. Too slippery to ride down some
sections especially with no gear on cause I thought it was just
fireroads until I found the awesome singletrack. It was perfect when we
rode it though.

I drew the trail on google maps and earth. If I remember right it was 4
miles up the fireroad and then 3 miles down the singletrack for a total
of 7 miles. I'm still figuring out how to post it publically so anyone
can see it and I might have done it so if someone has google earth,
please type in "Skyline Drive, Corona, CA" and see if you can see the
red and blue trails I added. If not I'll have to do some research on
how to do it. It should look like this:

|Filename: GoogleEarth_Image.jpg |

unicycle6869

Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
screws the country?

"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JohnnyReggae

That looks absolutely awesome !!!! Well done.

--
JohnnyReggae

"Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings."
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Inigo Montoya

You nutters!

Kudos!

--
Inigo Montoya

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means."
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vivalargo

Yo, Jamey,

According to my watch, we trudged up that fire road for two hours and
five minutes before we started the descent. Granted, with my bum knee
we weren't running but I'm prettty sure we were moving more than two
miles an hour, meaning the hike up to the drop in was quite possibly
closer to five miles than four. Google map does not lie so I could be
totally wrong about this.

Of course since cars are allowed on the fire/approach road, this is a
natural shuttle ride that will probably become one of he more popular
day outing in So Cal. Next time we'll have to shuttle and take it from
the very top, which looked to add at least another mile to the overall
fandango.

JL

--
vivalargo
http://www.usenet.com

World Exclusive - Santiago Botero's Blood Bags Found On Tyler Hamilton's Website!!!! HC Racing 0 December 13th 07 08:27 AM
Santiago Botero status shane Racing 2 April 28th 06 11:59 PM
In the News: Santiago Perez loses appeal at Spanish court Jason Spaceman Racing 2 January 29th 05 01:30 PM
Camino Santiago Robin Long UK 3 July 25th 04 07:13 AM
Trail Care Day Uwharrie Woodrun Trail System ... Central, NC (Supertree and Keyauwee) Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 13th 04 05:55 PM