Thread-on freewheel questions

Old July 22nd 03, 07:30 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Default Thread-on freewheel questions

In article ,
(Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

So before I left home, I got a built wheel for the old Raleigh (1984
Raleigh Record Sprint, all parts as stock); hub was the right size
and everything...the hub takes a thread-on freewheel. Having never
ever dealt with this sort of thing before I have some questions:

1) Are all thread-on freewheels the same, or are there
differences--threading, etc--that would make some not work on some
hubs?

Sheldon says ISO standard is 1.375x24TPI, which sounds very universal.
So probably not.

2) The old Raleigh has 126mm rear dropout spacing, and the original
wheel had a Helicomatic hub, taking 6 sprockets. Am I right in
assuming that I would be able to use a 7-speed freewheel on the new
wheel?

Yes.

3) Are wheels that take 6-speed freewheels different, really, from
wheels meant for 7-speed freewheels--as in dish, etc? If I use a 6 in
a wheel built for a 7, would I need to re-dish the wheel?

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html
6 and 7 are 126 mm. Sheldon sez you may need to add "a washer or two."

for the record I'm across the atlantic from the bike and wheel in
question, but insomnia, curiosity, and a nagging urge to complete the
project drive me to ask...

We report. You decide.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old July 22nd 03, 05:54 PM
James Thomson

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote:

1) Are all thread-on freewheels the same, or are there
differences--threading, etc--that would make some not
work on some hubs?

The most common threading is BSC/ISO - 1.37" x 24tpi. Italian threads were
35mm x 1mm pitch, and French were something odd like 34.5mm x 1mm. You
can use a British freewheel on an Italian hub (if you can get it on), but
otherwise you shouldn't mix and match. You'd be unlucky to end up with
anything other than BSC.

2) The old Raleigh has 126mm rear dropout spacing, and
the original wheel had a Helicomatic hub, taking 6 sprockets.
Am I right in assuming that I would be able to use a 7-speed
freewheel on the new wheel?

In principle, yes. It depends on the arrangement of spacers on either side
of the hub.

3) Are wheels that take 6-speed freewheels different, really,
from wheels meant for 7-speed freewheels--as in dish, etc?
If I use a 6 in a wheel built for a 7, would I need to re-dish the
wheel?

Some 7-speed clusters are slightly broader than some 6-speed clusters, so a
7-speed freewheel threaded onto a hub intended for a 6-speed may come
uncomfortably close to right dropout. In that case you need to transfer
washers or spacers from the left of the axle to the right, and ideally dish
the wheel right to make up the difference.

All that aside, if it's one of these:
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalog...4/ral84_06.jpg
the rear end may be slightly narrower - mine was 122mm, as I think I
mentioned once before.

James Thomson

Old July 23rd 03, 03:54 AM
George Shaffer

I put a 7-speed freewheel on my ex-wife's real wheel that came off a Raleigh
Record (5-speed) and had no problems at all. The only real difference
between different freewheels that I can see is which puller they take (old
Schwinn, Shimano, Sunigo, whatever). I recently added the above mentioned
real wheel to an old Schwinn Varsity. Runs like a Swiss watch.

Old July 23rd 03, 08:16 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:37:40 +0000, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

1) Are all thread-on freewheels the same, or are there
differences--threading, etc--that would make some not work on some hubs?

Except for old French freewheels, they are all the same. Anything you can
find now will work.

2) The old Raleigh has 126mm rear dropout spacing, and the original wheel
had a Helicomatic hub, taking 6 sprockets. Am I right in assuming that I
would be able to use a 7-speed freewheel on the new wheel?

Probably, but you will want a bit more spread. Most 7-speed stuff (not
all) is 130mm, but that is not so much of a spread and you can just skooch
the wheel in there.

3) Are wheels that take 6-speed freewheels different, really, from wheels
meant for 7-speed freewheels--as in dish, etc? If I use a 6 in a wheel
built for a 7, would I need to re-dish the wheel?

Yes, the dish would be different, since most 7-speed freewheels take more
space in the direction of the axle. Re-dishing is not too bad to do, as
long as the spokes and nipples are in good shape.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson