A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Where to ride in Ottawa?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 22nd 03, 10:37 PM
Keith Boone
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

I've got a couple of days time off, and I'm taking
my road bike to Ottawa Ontario for a few under 100km
rides. Where's the best places to go? I heard the
Gatineau Hills on the Hull side of the river are a
great place to go, but that word "hills" worries me
a little. I'm not the world's best climber... Is
there some kind of bike path that runs along the Ottawa
river? Thanks for any help.

Ads
  #2  
Old July 22nd 03, 10:57 PM
Zoot Katz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:37:47 GMT,
gers.com,
Keith Boone wrote:

Is
there some kind of bike path that runs along the Ottawa
river? Thanks for any help.


Here's a map:
http://www.city.ottawa.on.ca/city_se...ycling_map.pdf
--
zk
  #3  
Old July 22nd 03, 11:43 PM
Zoot Katz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:03:34 GMT,
gers.com,
Keith Boone wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

Here's a map:
http://www.city.ottawa.on.ca/city_se...ycling_map.pdf


Now THAT is one heck of a pdf file! Thanks. Any idea about the
Gatineau Hills park? Do I need to be a Tour de France climber,
or can mere mortals manage?


I've never ridden there so I don't know. There are people from Ottawa
posting to this newsgroup. Google has some threads discussing riding
in the Ottawa area.
--
zk
  #4  
Old July 22nd 03, 11:55 PM
Marlene Blanshay
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

In article ,
wrote:

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:37:47 GMT,
gers.com,
Keith Boone wrote:

Is
there some kind of bike path that runs along the Ottawa
river? Thanks for any help.


Here's a map:
http://www.city.ottawa.on.ca/city_se...ycling_map.pdf

Funny a friend of ours just got back from there and said the Ottawa area
is great for cycling. Not the city itself, but the outlying areas.
Lakefield and the gatineaus area, and south and west of the city in
semi-rural areas. I think that might be Carp or Stirling, but I'm not
sure. He said the roads are great, there's not much traffic and you can go
for huge long rides. The only problem is that it can be a tad windy
because it's sort of flat and open, with lots of farms and fields. In
fact, I think I may head out there- it's only about 150 miles!
  #5  
Old July 23rd 03, 01:50 AM
Zoot Katz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:55:56 GMT,
,
(Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

In
fact, I think I may head out there- it's only about 150 miles!


Ottawa's greatest attraction is that it's close enough to Quebec to
easily escape back to civilisation.
--
zk
  #6  
Old July 23rd 03, 01:08 PM
Pete Hickey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

In article gers.com,
Keith Boone wrote:
I've got a couple of days time off, and I'm taking
my road bike to Ottawa Ontario for a few under 100km
rides. Where's the best places to go? I heard the
Gatineau Hills on the Hull side of the river are a
great place to go, but that word "hills" worries me
a little. I'm not the world's best climber... Is
there some kind of bike path that runs along the Ottawa
river? Thanks for any help.


What kind of riding do you want? Road or mountain? I'm guessing
road. You can take a nice loop around Gatineau Park (looking out
my window at it now, a few hundred yards away). The loop is around
50km, and it is hilly. the 50km loop tires me almost as
much as a 100km ride on flats. It does offer a nice view
of the valley from several points (Champlain, Huron and
Étienne Brûlé).

Want flat stuff? East through the farmland on relatively
empty country roads. can be relaxing and enjoyable. Like
Cheese curds? I regularly do a 100km ride just to get cheese
curds in Sarsfield.. If ou start in Ottawa, it'll be closer
to 80, depending on where you start.

I don't like going west as much because it is more
populated/traffic. I comute daily in traffic, and when
going for a relaxing ride, I prefer quiet. Traffic in the
park isn't bad.

Where will you be staying? What do you prefer? I can offer
some suggestions and directions.

--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 88% of North Americans cannot
taste the difference between fried dog and fried cat?

  #7  
Old July 23rd 03, 07:20 PM
Pete Hickey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Ottawa's greatest attraction is that it's close enough to Quebec to
easily escape back to civilisation.


Oh, I wouldn'T say that the Ontario side is that uncivilized.
True, you have to go to special stores to buy beer or wine there...

-
Pete (who lives on the Québec side) hickey

  #8  
Old July 24th 03, 02:36 AM
Pete Hickey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Ottawa?

In article ,
Marlene Blanshay wrote:

Funny a friend of ours just got back from there and said the Ottawa area
is great for cycling.


I find it enjoyable.

In
fact, I think I may head out there- it's only about 150 miles!


Where you from? The ride to here could be a nice one.


--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 88% of North Americans cannot
taste the difference between fried dog and fried cat?

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bonking and food for a ride Sandy Christmus General 38 August 9th 03 08:44 PM
Problems after long ride [email protected] General 4 July 20th 03 03:16 AM
last ride Barry Gaudet General 4 July 15th 03 01:57 PM
My first "Atikins" long ride Pat General 0 July 13th 03 03:36 PM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.