Isn't this getting ridiculous?

Old November 19th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

Default Isn't this getting ridiculous?

OK, I can see the advertising power of a bicycle-branded coffee cup:

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=821&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C 15%2C385&iProductID=821&bShopOnline=1

But isn't it a bit ridiculous to buy a bike to get a coffee mug?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

And whatever happened to the coffee shop ride? I always thought it
was the American version of the Brit's tea shop rides, although the
Brits sometimes seem to ride to more than one shop in a day's ride.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old November 19th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Patrick Lamb wrote:
OK, I can see the advertising power of a bicycle-branded coffee cup:

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=821&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C 15%2C385&iProductID=821&bShopOnline=1

But isn't it a bit ridiculous to buy a bike to get a coffee mug?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

It it weren't so damn ugly, that'd be a damn cool bike!

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old November 20th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

nmp wrote:
Paul M. Hobson wrote:

Patrick Lamb wrote:

[..]

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

It it weren't so damn ugly, that'd be a damn cool bike!

What is so ugly about it? I like it.

It's kind of battleship grey? And I'm not fond of flat bars for
anything other than straight MTBs. It's not the ugliest bike I've seen
admittedly - even today.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2008...lliErkkila.htm

--
Dane Buson -
I have a rock garden. Last week three of them died.
Old November 20th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

I don't think the coffee cup is the big draw...
It's the belt and the roller brakes. They just killed my two biggest
maintenance tasks. I guess I'll spend the recovered time drinking
coffee (or tea - does it really take a different cup?)
Old November 20th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 20, 3:39*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
nmp wrote:
Paul M. Hobson wrote:

Patrick Lamb wrote:

[..]

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

It it weren't so damn ugly, that'd be a damn cool bike!

What is so ugly about it? I like it.

It's kind of battleship grey? *And I'm not fond of flat bars for
anything other than straight MTBs. *It's not the ugliest bike I've seen
admittedly - even today.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2008...lliErkkila.htm

--
Dane Buson -
I have a rock garden. *Last week three of them died.
* * * * * * * * -- Richard Diran

Man, that is a shame. Dude went through the trouble to custom build
(assuming he's not full of it) a frame that'd take some real nice wide
snow/sand tires, and it ended up like that in the end? Man... rough
deal. I'd love a bike that'd take tires that wide, especially
something I built myself. I'd rather pay for 3 Pugsleys than ride
that thing though.
Old November 21st 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Trek Soho

"nmp" wrote:
Paul M. Hobson wrote:

Patrick Lamb wrote:

[..]

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

It it weren't so damn ugly, that'd be a damn cool bike!

What is so ugly about it? I like it.

Silly not to have a generator hub. Real commuters typically need to ride
in the dark from late fall to early spring. Otherwise, a perfectly
sensible city bike, which is good to see from a large and high profile
US manufacturer.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old November 21st 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Too short cutsteer tube so the handlebars willbe too low. $1000 for
an urban cruiser?

On Nov 20, 9:18*am, nmp wrote:
Paul M. Hobson wrote:

[..]

Old November 21st 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
"nmp" wrote:
Paul M. Hobson wrote:

Patrick Lamb wrote:

[..]

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/
It it weren't so damn ugly, that'd be a damn cool bike!

What is so ugly about it? I like it.

Silly not to have a generator hub. Real commuters typically need to ride
in the dark from late fall to early spring. Otherwise, a perfectly
sensible city bike, which is good to see from a large and high profile
US manufacturer.

I just don't like the shape of the tubes. Too racy for me. What's
wrong with circular cross sections?

Drop outs are interesting though.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old November 21st 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:09:16 -0800, DennisTheBald wrote:

I don't think the coffee cup is the big draw... It's the belt and the
roller brakes. They just killed my two biggest maintenance tasks. I
guess I'll spend the recovered time drinking coffee (or tea - does it
really take a different cup?)

The belt? really? Surely they could have gone a bit more conventional
and used a regular chain with a full chaincase. Not so impressive, yeah,
but I imagine cheaper.

I'd just as soon get a Flying Pigeon and rebuild the rear wheel to take a
sturmey-archer AWC 3-speed coaster-brake hub.

-L

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Old November 21st 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Nov 20, 8:43*pm, wrote:
Too short cutsteer tube so the handlebars willbe too low. *$1000 for
an urban cruiser?

No, for transportation. What's with this "cruiser" word? Looks a lot
like my last city bike with one more gear and an additional roller
brake. Bars are exactly where they want to be for an athletic cyclist.
It's still upright. Price is very fair considering the spec. Add a
rack and that's a perfect urban scoot.

ridiculous conditions Andre Racing 9 August 7th 08 01:00 PM
Chapman: One Of Many Ridiculous Statements Nuxx Bar UK 18 July 31st 08 03:04 AM
Most ridiculous saddle ever? Gooserider General 13 December 12th 06 10:59 PM
way past ridiculous andy gee General 38 October 1st 05 02:28 AM
It's udderly ridiculous! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 April 22nd 05 08:15 PM