What is a cyclist?

Old September 10th 09, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default What is a cyclist?

On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Old September 10th 09, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Doug" wrote in message
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

I think that when I ride my bike I qualify as a cyclist and when I drive my
car I qualify as a motorist. As a cyclist who rides most days and thousands
of miles a year I think that qualifys me as a fairly experienced cyclist. I
may however drive more miles in a car but that does not negate the fact that
I am a cyclist. Doug seems to think that cyclists and motorists are mutually
exclusive: that you can only be one and not the other.

Old September 10th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
[...]

A cyclist is one who cycles, a motorist is one who motors.

Now this may seem strange to you but you can be a cyclist & a motorist.
(and a pedestrian & a PT user & a motorcyclist & a etc.)

--

Tony Dragon
Old September 10th 09, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Lewis

"Doug" wrote in message
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

How about "a cyclist is a person who has been skittled by a car whilst
riding a bicycle"?

Old September 10th 09, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 10 Sep, 07:35, "mileburner" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

Nope, I contend that you are more one than another and that this
colours your judgement and opinions, bearing in mind that we are all
in competition for road space.

As an ex-motorist and now full-time cyclist I freely admit that I do
not like cars, or the widespread blight that their mass use brings,
though I do understand that in a few rare cases there is a need for
them. If I was still primarily a motorist no doubt my view would be
different and I might well also be tempted onto this cycling newsgroup
to roundly criticise cyclists. So it depends entirely, you see, where
you are coming from.

Old September 10th 09, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 10 Sep, 07:58, "Mike Lewis" mike-at-
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

How about "a cyclist is a person who has been skittled by a car whilst
riding a bicycle"?

Yes, I like it. What could be clearer?

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old September 10th 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...ts.html#middle

BugBear
Old September 10th 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Ah, but that would make *me* a cyclist, Doug. Back to the drawing
board, I think.
Old September 10th 09, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 10 Sep, 07:19, Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

Hmmmm, tricky one.

thinks

Oooh, how about "a cyclist is someone riding a bike, a motorist is
someone driving a car"?

Do I win a Nobel Prize?
Old September 10th 09, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Doug" wrote in message
On 10 Sep, 07:35, "mileburner" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

[..]

As an ex-motorist and now full-time cyclist I freely admit that I do
not like cars,

DOUG TELLING THE TRUTH!!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 05:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 10:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM