pudendal nerve problems

Old July 25th 03, 02:17 PM
Chris Smith

Default pudendal nerve problems

HI All,
First off, I know their'll be a lot of humorous replies to this, can't stop
that.

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed sustained
slight numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure on
the pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or something
else to minimize the pressure problem?

Thanks
Chris

Old July 25th 03, 02:49 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:17:04 -0400, Chris Smith
wrote:
HI All,
First off, I know their'll be a lot of humorous replies to this, can't
stop that.

I'm too lazy to look up "pudendal nerve", so you're in luck. G

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed slight
numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure the
pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or something
else to minimize the pressure problem?

Yes. Possible adjustments, in the order I'd guess they'd be effective:

Shorts -- Not wearing proper bike shorts? They're rather comfortable,
and not as embarassing as you think (and you could put loose shorts
over them, or even get loose bike shorts). Get them. Even cheap ones
help -- Dick's Sporting Goods is a chain store that has useful bike
shorts for $30. Better shorts are cheaper on sale at LBS sometimes or
online.

Saddle -- The saddle may just be the wrong shape / materials for
you. Still, instead of blowing money, try adjustments first.

Saddle tilt -- Too far up and it's pushing up; too far down and you
slide forward until your weight is on your crotch on the nose

Handlebar position -- Too low and you bend forward too much, exposing
only your crotch to the saddle. Too high and your back is vertical,
so your crotchtal area is unsupported (unless you wear proper cycling
shorts).

Thanks
Chris

--
Rick Onanian
Old July 25th 03, 03:21 PM
Chris Smith

HI Guys,
Thanks so much for the tips. I'm wearing proper riding shorts (not a pretty
sight with my scrawny legs!!
Chris
In article , says...
wrote:
[...]

My personal experience is that shorts don't affect numbness, but will
affect irritation, chafing, and other sources of discomfort. As usual,
YMMV.

Saddle -- The saddle may just be the wrong shape / materials for
you. Still, instead of blowing money, try adjustments first.

Saddle tilt -- Too far up and it's pushing up; too far down and you
slide forward until your weight is on your crotch on the nose

Handlebar position -- Too low and you bend forward too much, exposing
only your crotch to the saddle. Too high and your back is vertical,
so your crotchtal area is unsupported (unless you wear proper cycling
shorts).

These are all good suggestions; I had forgotten to mention some of them
in my post.

--
David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good

Old July 25th 03, 03:58 PM

"Chris Smith" wrote in message
HI All,
First off, I know their'll be a lot of humorous replies to this, can't

stop
that.

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed sustained
slight numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure

on
the pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or something
else to minimize the pressure problem?

Check out this article on bicycle seat neuropathy:
http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic12.htm
--Tock

Old July 25th 03, 04:51 PM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:17:04 +0000, Chris Smith wrote:

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed sustained
slight numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure
on the pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or
something else to minimize the pressure problem?

You need to make sure the bike really fits you, first. Most bikes can be
adjusted to fit a wide range of people reasonably well, so I am not
talking about buying a new bike, but you should find a shop that does a
"bike fit" and have someone help you get comfortable on the bike.

Beyond the specific points mentioned elsewhere on this thread, be sure
that you are not too stretched out. Your hands should _comfortably_ rest
on the brake hoods allowing you to keep a finger or two on the brake lever
itself. Many people are only comfortable with their hands on the tops --
because the bars are too far forward, or too low, or the seat is set back
too far. These are things that can be diagnosed and cured by a good fit.
The most you would have to do is replace the stem. Beats replacing that
thing that is going numb.

You may find a new saddle to be an improvement, but no one can really
recommend the saddle that will be best for _you_. (Despite that, many
will recommend a specific saddle...). That may take some experimenting,
but shops are pretty good about returns of saddles, and some have a
repository of saddles to try out.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
_`\(,_ | that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
(_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

Old July 25th 03, 04:52 PM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:21:19 +0000, Chris Smith wrote:

HI Guys,
Thanks so much for the tips. I'm wearing proper riding shorts (not a
pretty sight with my scrawny legs!!

Better than for those of us with the opposite problem, and yours will
improve quickly with riding.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 25th 03, 06:27 PM

archer wrote:

: I had the same issue.

Me too, it sucks as I'd like to ride the bike more.

: First, make sure your seat is either level or the nose slightly lower
: than the back. Nose-up will do this all the time.

I think it started from tilting the nose up a bit and riding 200
km, for me... Not really had it before...

: Second (which worked for me): get a seat with a cutout in the center to
: take the pressure off your soft tissues, leaving it only on your "sit"
: bones. I really like my Specialized body geometry seat (I don't remember
: the exact model), but which seat works for any given individual is a
: highly personal decision, often requiring much experimentation.

Recumbent seats are often touted as the patent solution for this
problem, but I go 'bent for other reasons.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old July 25th 03, 08:56 PM
Jkpoulos7

tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed sustained
slight numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure on
the pudendal nerve. Is it possible to

Get a Brooks leather saddle. You will ride painless the best $50 I've spent on
cycling gear. First try adjusting sadlle to just hit your sit bones. They will
be sore for a bit but then there will be no pressure your equipment.
Old July 25th 03, 09:01 PM
Art

"Chris Smith" wrote in message ...

I'm a male, 43, just started riding a roadbike for about a month or so, I
tend to ride about 40 minutes to an hour every day. I've noticed sustained
slight numbness in my crotch area and assume it's the result of pressure on
the pudendal nerve. Is it possible to change seat adjustment or something
else to minimize the pressure problem?

Thanks
Chris

No jokes from me, I've been there and it ain't funny. In my case, it
wasn't the fit of the bike, rather it was the stock seat that came
with the bike. The money spent on a new Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow
was worth every penny. Of course, this may not be the seat for you,
or even the remedy for your problem. I'd advise seeing a urologist if
the numbness lasts longer than a couple of days.

Art