Two wheeling for the first time in over a year!!

Old July 18th 03, 01:12 AM
Erin

Default Two wheeling for the first time in over a year!!

Today was the first time in a year and a month that I rode a two
wheeler. After all that time one wheeling it was a bit of a shock to
ride on two wheels again. It took a few minutes to get the hang of
turning and longer than that to get the timing of riding in traffic down
pat again. Really it did feel rather odd.

After a couple of hours of riding, though I enjoyed the freewheeling, I
did get a little tired of being hunched over and I could feel the
pressure on my wrists and hands more than I expected..........

..........all in all, a strange 'new' experience.

Erin

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"Wow, that is so cool, is it your 'bike-instead'?
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old July 18th 03, 02:08 AM
Nathan Hoover

I know what you mean. While I was training for the Norway trip, I didn't
ride a bike - that was March 15 through July 1. This month I've been
comuting on bike and it's quite different. But I stuck the Hunter36 together
today and went for a 1 hour ride - it was great. As I've always said, both
bikes and unicycles are great.

---Nathan

Old July 18th 03, 05:00 AM
universacycle

don't you love the feeling of speed a bicycle gives you after riding a
unicycle for months........ahhh its so dreamy....

--
universacycle - Hell on Wheel member
universacycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3700

Old July 18th 03, 11:09 AM
Tmornstar

Yes, the unicycles have unseated the love of my life – bicycling. I had
ridden between 10K and 13 K miles a year for about 27 years (missing
only one year when I was living in South America). However, about a year
and a half ago I went to a bike club, holiday party and somebody pulled
out a unicycle and challenged all to give it a try. I was horrible at
it, as you can imagine, but I decided that it might be a good way to
avoid the wet and dark of winter – for a month or two – and still get a
reasonable workout. That was the beginning of the end of my
bicycling.

So I now, still, ride for at least two hours a day but I no longer count
miles – just smiles. I ride two wheels, now and then, only to play with
my wife on our tandem. I don’t miss the often intense challenges of
being on the road. I love the fact that I can play as hard as I want
and still be within a block or two of my home the entire time. I love
the fact that I can play as hard as I want with others of different
physical ability (and riding) levels and still be together and not be
resentful at they are taking me away from my precious time of high heart
rate workout. I love unicycling over bicycling, too, because the folks
that I have an opportunity to associate with are awesome.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old July 18th 03, 06:12 PM
muddycycle

Erin, I can relate to your strange ‘new’ experience. I’ve been invited
to go mountain biking with good friends after work today. Last night I
when to check on my bike since I couldn’t remember when the last time I
rode it was. I flip it over to pull off the mud tires and notice it
wouldn’t stay up with only one handle bar extension. After scratching my
head wondering what could have happened to the other extension I
realized it was on my 29er holding the brake handle. My poor white legs
won’t know what hit them as I go out in the sun with out leg armor. Last
time I rode (there was snow on the ground) on two wheels I ran into a
tree at high speed because I was trying to turn with my hips. I muni
alone everyday, riding with a pack is going to fun, I just wish this
pack had half the amount of wheels.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

Old July 18th 03, 06:30 PM
James_Potter

Bikes are so hard to turn on and those darned handlebars take up your
hands. You have -two- wheels to control, which makes it hard. I
definitely prefer uni's.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Old July 18th 03, 06:31 PM
johnfoss

Erin wrote:
*After a couple of hours of riding, though I enjoyed the freewheeling,
I did get a little tired of being hunched over and I could feel the
pressure on my wrists and hands more than I expected.......... *

I can't imagine it taking more than a few minutes for me to re-acquaint
myself to bicycling. I have never been away from it for too long, but if
people can get on unicycles after 20 years, I think I'll be okay with a
bike.

I learned to ride a bike without training wheels when I was five. I
still remember the experience. Between then and 12th grade, my bike was
always near. Even after getting hopelessly sucked into unicycling, the
bike was still in the background; the vehicle to take you on longer or
faster rides.

In the past year or so, I have only used my bike for commuting to work
sometimes. It's always going to be faster than the unicycle. If I ride
the unicycle more, and faster, I'll be in better shape to speed on the
more-efficient bike.

But though my Miyata Triplecross (1989 model) is a so-called hybrid, I
haven't ridden it on any proper mountain bike trails in years. One of
the last rides I remember was trying to follow Brett Bymaster down the
Confluence Trail on his much fatter-tire, front suspension Trek. That
was a mistake for me, on my non-suspended, skinny-tired bike, and
because Brett on a bike is insane. That was the only time Brett and I
rode bikes on trails, except for scouting Northstar for MUni Weekend in
'97. That time I rented a proper suspension bike. I may use one again to
scout Rockville Hills Park for MUni Weekend this year. But then again
maybe not...

Now I ride my Coker to work, on those days I don't drive. Yesterday I
rode home in 106 degree heat. It's supposed to be the same today, so I'm
taking it easy in an air-conditioned car.

But back to Erin's original quote, above. She mentions hands and wrists,
and the hunched-over feeling. My Coker, with handlebar, has me riding in
a quasi-aero position, hands on my baby bar-ends, in a position similar
to a bike. Oh well...

I'll try to post some pictures of my ride soon.

--
johnfoss - On the Cutting Edge

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss [at] unicycling [.] com
www.unicycling.com

Old July 19th 03, 02:08 AM
Naomi

"paco" wrote in message
news

The most difficult thing for me while riding a bike is trying to turn
and braking with your hands.
It frustrates me when I get to a location that I *should* be able to
turn around very easily in, such as on a sidewalk or at a corner, but I
have to get off the bike and lift it up to do a 180 turn.

I remember my first ever go on a bicycle, I must have been about 10 or 11.
I borrowed the bike from the kid next door, and rode it unerringly into a
large wooden lamppost. No one had explained to me that you had to lean in
order to turn. Without the lean, the handlebars just would NOT turn. I was
too terrified to release the handlebars enough to grab the brakes of course.
Both I and the bike were undamaged, but I suppose it qualifies as my first
UPD.

Young Zyllan was also saying that when he first re-tried a bike after 18
months of unicycling, he had forgotten how to ride it, and so hit a wheelie
bin. Not fast enough to have generated a "You've Been Framed" situation
though.

MikeFule: Interesting to read that on the penny farthing the tail dragging
wheel goes light. Is this the case even though the seat, if I am correct,
is mounted on the frame that goes down to that wheel? Do you think that
it went light because you were riding with your unicycling experience
affecting your riding style? Or would many of the Victorian riders have
been perfectly happy on a coker, once they reached escape velocity?
I must ask our local penny farthing enthusiast for his thoughts , next time
I see him riding around.

Naomi

--
There are 10 sorts of people in this world; those who know binary, and
those who don't..