Extra Wheel, Tire, Hub and Cranks???

Old August 14th 03, 11:04 AM
chirokid

Default Extra Wheel, Tire, Hub and Cranks???

John_Childs just wrote on another thread that he added 1/2 a unicycle to
his collection (He now has 9.5 unicycles, did I mention I hate John
)

He wrote: *"I have purchased an urban wheel for my muni (Fireball tire,
Profile cranks, and Alex DX32 rim)"*

Does anyone ease have a separate wheel, hub, crank and tire for their
Muni? How common is this? How long does it take to switch from trail
to street set-up? Is this hard on the bearing holders, or are most
quality Muni's able to take this constant switching between trail/street
set-up?

And yes John, I am jealous!!! --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old August 14th 03, 11:24 AM
chirokid

BTW John, I failed to mention. This sounds like a great combination of
components. I assume you used the Poznanter Hub Assembly since you
mentioned the Profile cranks.

Will this be a spare street set-up for the KH24?

Also, could you use this as an "Ultimate Wheel", while not hooked on the
Muni? --chirokid--

Old August 14th 03, 08:23 PM
john_childs

Swapping the wheel on my KH muni isn't difficult and will not put
excessive wear on the bearing holder hardware. As long as I never
crossthread one of the bolts while changing the wheel it will not cause
any damage to the frame.

It takes a few minutes to change the wheel. It's a long enough process
that it is inconvenient to do and there is also the issue of getting
your hands a little bit greasy during the process.

It's nice to have a second wheel with a different tire. It gives me
more options for deciding what I want to ride. It's a little
inconvenient to swap the wheel, but it's better than spending money on a
second muni frame, seatpost, and carbon fiber saddle.

If I had the skills it would be possible to use the spare wheel as a
cranky ultimate wheel. Riding an ultimate wheel with full cranks is not
easy. George Peck does it, and even rides his ultimate muni wheel
off-road. I'm in the process of learning how to ride a standard
ultimate wheel and once I get that torture device figured out I might
try riding the spare muni wheel as an ultimate wheel -- But only maybe.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 15th 03, 02:51 AM
BoojiBoy

gingerfreek wrote:
*

you can always get replacement bolts and bearing cups so its no big
problem.

iain *

What's the best way to get replacement bolts? Maybe I have cheap bolts,
or maybe I just really stink at putting them together.

Unicycle.com has some but they seem pricey to me, i mean, they're just
bolts.....curse them for being so important

anyways, yeah, where's a good place to get unicycle bolts?

--
BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider
BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

Old August 15th 03, 05:50 AM
Max_Dingemans

well if your using a frame with the cheap stamped steel clamps, any
hardware store should have some 1/4 20's or something in that size
abouts. basically whatever fits, should work.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old August 15th 03, 04:04 PM
gingerfreek

if you want some decent bolts that will last go to a hardware shop and
ask for capheads of the same size bolts as you had before (take your old
ones in) capheads are alot stronger becasue they have a big lug on the
end rather than a weedy head. if you want real strength ask for "12-9
capheads" (which i doubt they'll have) this is one of the strongest
mixes of steel.

i tried to get them but my local shop didnt have a clue about cap-heads
and only had cheapo bolts (you might have more luck though)

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507