Planning on getting my first Unicycle.... what do you guys think of this one?!?

Old August 16th 03, 05:19 AM
CETME

Default Planning on getting my first Unicycle.... what do you guys think of this one?!?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of learning Flatland BmX and I ran somehow
thought of Unicycling.

I figured it would be real fun, and would be a great aid for Flatland.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading, but i'm still by far a noob.

I like the features of this ride here. What do you guys think? I really
dont want to spend over $300 because I'm also saving up for a new
Flatland Bike.

I'd use it mostly to ride around town, around school.. etc.

I'm 22, 5'11" and 185lbs.... I'm more stronger and more fit than most
guys my size, so I tend to be a little rougher on bikes. Not htat I
treat them bad

anyways...... any guidance? I thought this one would suit me best

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=647

--
CETME
CETME's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4323

Old August 16th 03, 08:29 AM
James

Its a nice uni with good sadel and a pritty good hub for the price, yeah
go for it, but if you are wanting to do flatland stuff on it get a
trials unicycle man, its worth the extra money, and make sure its a 20"
tire!!!!!

DON'T GET A 24"!!!!!!!!!!

If you are only going to use it to ride then get the 24" its a sweet
ride! (that the tire is nice!)

--
James
James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4185

Old August 16th 03, 10:21 AM
treepotato

maybe a tyre with a bit better grip...that's just my perference though

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Old August 16th 03, 11:52 PM
James

If you wanna go offraod don't use that tire! it will be AWSOME on the
road and stuff but i wouln't mind betting you will have a couple (of
hundred) UPDs going through the mud

Old August 17th 03, 02:09 AM
Rowan

That looks like a very good first unicycle. Unless you do huge drops
then it is not likely to break in a hurry. You say you want to do
flatland tricks on it now, but maybe after learning to ride you might
find another area which you enjoy. Having said that the 24" is a good
model for versatility, so if you change your mind and want to go places
it isn't quite as slow as a 20". Before James learned to ride he was
sure he would get into trials type riding. After a month or two of
learning he seems to be more inclined towards MUni (offroad riding). I
don't think the 2.5" wide hookworm would have too much trouble in the
mud compared to a 1.75" wide regular slick. James ceased to be able to
ride when he put a knobbly tire on his learner Unicycle, so slick should
be a good way to start. I think a seat without a handle would be best
for flatland tricks since a handle would get in the way when practising
Unispins. Go for it!

If you want something you can really throw around then go for splined
cranks/hub. Onza, Summit, and Kris Holm Unicycles all come with
relatively cheap splines, making them much closer to being unbreakable
than square taper cranks/hub. For offroad you can not beat a 24x3"
Gazzaloddi either, but it depends on how much you can afford.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old August 18th 03, 05:23 PM
carjug

Dittos on the Gazzy three inch tire, they have a lovely bounce. Get the
26 inch if you can swing the price, you're a big young guy and a tiny
wheel has a toyish feeling to it.

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

Old August 18th 03, 09:43 PM
john_childs

A 24" wheel with the Hookworm tire is a good for riding around town on
sidewalks. The 24" wheel is small enough that the unicycle is
maneuverable enough to be able to ride on sidewalks among pedestrians.
When riding among pedestrians maneuverability is key. Bigger wheels
like a 29er or Coker are not good in crowds.

The 24" wheel with Hookworm tire is also good for having fun on during
the ride. You can hop up curbs, roll up curbs, roll down steps, ride
along skinnies like retaining walls, and play on other urban obstacles.
The fatter Hookworm tire makes city riding more fun. The fatter tire
gives you more coosh and it's not going to bottom out when doing things
like rolling up curbs or riding down stairs.

The 24" is also small enough that you can use it for developing some
freestyle skills if you choose.

The 24" is not the best for longer rides on open roads. But you want to
ride around town rather than do 10 mile plus rides.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com