From NYTimes about the Tour/ Lance Broken Frame?

Old July 28th 03, 02:39 AM
David L. Johnson

Default From NYTimes about the Tour/ Lance Broken Frame?

I*was glancing through the New York Times daily headline e-mail, and
noticed an article about the Tour. When I*went to it, I caught the
following as part of a discussion of what a weird Tour it was:

"He began the race with lower intestinal problems and crashed in stages
one and 15. He also momentarily rode through a hayfield in stage nine
and endured a broken frame and bad shoes. He also lost 10 pounds in heat
of the 12th stage individual time trial."

So, when did he endure a broken frame? Somehow I did not see that on OLN,
nor any reference to it. Maybe Trek sponsors the OLN broadcast?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
_`\(,_ | Excellence.
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 28th 03, 03:36 AM
Rich Clark

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
I was glancing through the New York Times daily headline e-mail, and
noticed an article about the Tour. When I went to it, I caught the
following as part of a discussion of what a weird Tour it was:

"He began the race with lower intestinal problems and crashed in stages
one and 15. He also momentarily rode through a hayfield in stage nine
and endured a broken frame and bad shoes. He also lost 10 pounds in heat
of the 12th stage individual time trial."

So, when did he endure a broken frame? Somehow I did not see that on OLN,
nor any reference to it. Maybe Trek sponsors the OLN broadcast?

In the crash on Stage 15, his right chainstay was cracked. This is was
apparently also at least partly the cause of the near-dismount that happened
shortly after he restarted: the chain autoshifted due to chainstay flex when
Lance stood and hammered. Apparently he finished the climb and won the stage
without doing much shifting thereafter.

This was covered on all the usual cycling news sites, and Bob Roll did
mention it on the preview show for the next stage, IIRC.

Try this:

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefranc...7,5612,00.html

RichC

Old July 28th 03, 04:54 AM
James Messick

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

This was covered on all the usual cycling news sites, and Bob Roll did
mention it on the preview show for the next stage, IIRC.

Try this:

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefranc...7,5612,00.html

Interesting article, but does it smell fishy to anyone else? If the
chainstay flexed enough to cause the chain to skip once it seems that it
would have to happen again while leading the race up a mountain, or to fail
completely. I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

Old July 28th 03, 06:11 AM
Chris Neary

I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

Two points:

1) There are a *lot* of OCLV bikes on the road, and stories of frame
failures are rare (I personally crashed mine in a paceline going nearly 30
MPH with nothing more than paint damage).

2) If is likely a frame failure such as that described could be repaired for
a fraction of the cost of a new frame.

FWIW,

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old July 28th 03, 06:44 AM
F1

Also, he had a another bike and rider crash into him and his bike, which
could have contributed to the frame damage.

Old July 28th 03, 06:54 AM
St Canard

In article , Chris Neary wrote:
I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

Two points:

1) There are a *lot* of OCLV bikes on the road, and stories of frame
failures are rare (I personally crashed mine in a paceline going nearly 30
MPH with nothing more than paint damage).

2) If is likely a frame failure such as that described could be repaired for
a fraction of the cost of a new frame.

3) See how well your light bike handles someone riding over the
chainstay as it's going down.

General consensus is that the crack was not caused by the crash, but
more likely by Mayo riding over top of the bike because he couldn't
get out of the way.

Plus, he was riding a prototype 5900 at the time, not the Madone he
had started with. One where they had been doing some playing with the
chainstays to lighten it.

Wanna bet the finished version will have a slight redesign in that
area?

--
"Divide by cucumber error, please reinstall Universe and reboot"
-- Terry Pratchett, _Hogfather_
Old July 28th 03, 06:55 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"James Messick" writes:

I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

OTOH, he was able to continue on with a busted bike.
Kinda like those B-17s that stayed airworthy despite
having chunks blown off of them.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 28th 03, 01:07 PM
archer

In article ,
says...

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

This was covered on all the usual cycling news sites, and Bob Roll did
mention it on the preview show for the next stage, IIRC.

Try this:

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefranc...7,5612,00.html

Interesting article, but does it smell fishy to anyone else? If the
chainstay flexed enough to cause the chain to skip once it seems that it
would have to happen again while leading the race up a mountain, or to fail
completely. I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

I don't think "easily" is an accurate description of the failure.
Watching the video, it looks like Mayo either rode over it, or maybe
landed on it. That's a pretty tough frame to be ridable by a rider of
Lance's power on a mountain stage after that hit.

--
David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good

Old July 28th 03, 01:39 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 05:44:22 GMT, "F1"
wrote:

Also, he had a another bike and rider crash into him and his bike, which
could have contributed to the frame damage.

Here's something about the Tour that I don't understand.

You have those morons in the little Fiats or whatever kind of
Euro-Mobile they drive, careening all over the roads, endangering
cyclists and spectators alike, for thousands of kilometers. They have
roof-racks festooned with all manner of replacement wheels and bikes,
and they have mechanics to hang out of the car at 30 mph and take
bread wrappers out of the derailleurs.

Why could USPS not have had one of these cars scoot around ahead of
the race and have someone waiting for Lance with a brand-spanking-new
OCLV bike in his choice of color and scent?

Old July 28th 03, 10:02 PM
Terry Morse

James Messick wrote:

I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

Very few frames can survive having their chainstays ridden over,
regardless of what they're made of.