Bike towns

Old July 30th 03, 12:15 AM
Steven

Default Bike towns

I am looking for some references for good bike towns/cities in Europe.
They would have to be a decent size since I currently only speak
english so would need to score a english speaking job at an
international school or what have you.

Thanks,

SPA
Old July 30th 03, 01:07 AM
Pete

"Steven" wrote in message
m...
I am looking for some references for good bike towns/cities in Europe.
They would have to be a decent size since I currently only speak
english so would need to score a english speaking job at an
international school or what have you.

It seems you're looking for a job in a "bike town". Get the job first, then
just ride. Turn wherever you are into *your* bike town.

I've ridden in Oxford, Amsterdam, Cambridge, Frankfurt, Madrid,
Kaiserslautern, Guadalajara, Adana, Washingotn DC, Boston, Salt Lake
City...all have varying degrees of bike use. Some better than others.

But *I* just rode. Not bothering to worry about what everyone else did. I've
never found a city/town where I couldn't get around on a bike.

Just ride.

Pete

Old July 31st 03, 02:26 AM
Don Wiss

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:07:20 GMT, Pete wrote:

But *I* just rode. Not bothering to worry about what everyone else did. I've
never found a city/town where I couldn't get around on a bike.

I've found three so far. All Caribbean islands. You won't be able to get
around on a bike on St. John, St. Barts, and Saba.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old July 31st 03, 03:21 AM
Pete

"Don Wiss" wrote
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:07:20 GMT, Pete wrote:

But *I* just rode. Not bothering to worry about what everyone else did.

I've
never found a city/town where I couldn't get around on a bike.

I've found three so far. All Caribbean islands. You won't be able to get
around on a bike on St. John, St. Barts, and Saba.

Why not? What was wrong?

Pete

Old July 31st 03, 03:48 AM
Don Wiss

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:21:52 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

Don Wiss wrote
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:07:20 GMT, Pete wrote:

But *I* just rode. Not bothering to worry about what everyone else did. I've
never found a city/town where I couldn't get around on a bike.

I've found three so far. All Caribbean islands. You won't be able to get
around on a bike on St. John, St. Barts, and Saba.

Why not? What was wrong?

Steepness, narrowness of roads, and in St. John's case, sand on the roads.
On St. Barts a few guys have bicycles to get around Gustavia, but they
don't get around the island. On Saba I heard that some local kids use bikes
to go down the hills, but then have to get a ride back up. Here's a picture
of Saba: http://www.sabatourism.com/saslide14.html

Don donwiss at panix.com.