Cyclists triggering red light cameras

Old April 12th 19, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Cyclists triggering red light cameras

I was looking up whether a cyclist can get a ticket.

And found this

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...391955121.html

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Andy
Old April 12th 19, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/11/2019 7:07 PM, AK wrote:
I was looking up whether a cyclist can get a ticket.

And found this

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...391955121.html

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

I agree, and I'm probably over-diligent about obeying traffic lights. At
one intersection about two blocks from my house, I turn right where
there's a "No Turn on Red" sign. But even though I know the sign was put
there to protect kids walking home from school at 3 - 4 PM, I sit
dutifully even at 8 PM, even though nobody would ever object to me
proceeding. Not even my friend the police chief.

OTOH, I happen to live directly across from a stop sign at a T
intersection. I've sat in the house and counted multiple times.
Consistently, 50% of the motorists fail to do a legal stop.

Personally, I think it's much more reasonable to ticket those motorists
first.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 12th 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 6:07:18 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Andy

Yes, but running red lights is worse. I like the "Idaho Stop" (since 1982 in Idaho and adopted in Delaware in 2017), which allows treating a stop sign like a yield sign and a red light like a stop sign. Personally, while I will roll through a stop sign if the way is clear, I will remain stopped at a red light if a car is also waiting. Often, while I'm stopped, I will be passed by another cyclist.

BTW, in Illinois (at least) it is legal for a bicycle or motorcycle to proceed through a red light if there is no cross-traffic *and* 120 seconds have elapsed. This is only true in cities with a population less than two million, for some strange reason.
Old April 12th 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
I was looking up whether a cyclist can get a ticket.

And found this

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...391955121.html

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Many motorists complain about cyclists running red lights, so
researchers did some researching.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/01/...an-drivers-do/

Bad examples aside, it is also worth remembering that someone on a
bicycle who disobeys a red light really only puts themselves at risk.
I'm yet to read of a car v bike crash where the car driver suffers
injuries other than perhaps psychological.

However when a motorist disobeys a red light they endanger all other
road users and themselves.

There is a distinct difference in the level of risk.

--
JS
Old April 12th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:25:31 +1000, James
wrote:

On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
I was looking up whether a cyclist can get a ticket.

And found this

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...391955121.html

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Many motorists complain about cyclists running red lights, so
researchers did some researching.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/01/...an-drivers-do/

Bad examples aside, it is also worth remembering that someone on a
bicycle who disobeys a red light really only puts themselves at risk.
I'm yet to read of a car v bike crash where the car driver suffers
injuries other than perhaps psychological.

However when a motorist disobeys a red light they endanger all other
road users and themselves.

There is a distinct difference in the level of risk.

True. But then the people who lament about "bicycle safety" don't make
announcements something like "Well, mate, we had 700 bicycle deaths
last year but of course 400 of them were running stop lights, riding
the wrong way on one-way roads and other violations of the traffic
code".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 12th 19, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 9:25:43 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
I was looking up whether a cyclist can get a ticket.

And found this

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...391955121.html

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Many motorists complain about cyclists running red lights, so
researchers did some researching.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/01/...an-drivers-do/

Bad examples aside, it is also worth remembering that someone on a
bicycle who disobeys a red light really only puts themselves at risk.
I'm yet to read of a car v bike crash where the car driver suffers
injuries other than perhaps psychological.

However when a motorist disobeys a red light they endanger all other
road users and themselves.

There is a distinct difference in the level of risk.

--
JS

I think you are forgetting some things.

If a cyclist blows thru a red light and is struck by a car, don't you think the driver will be at least a tad bit traumatized?

There is no valid excuse for cyclists to run lights and stop signs.

Andy

And while I am at it....

Cyclists should ride close to the curb while in bike lanes.

I have seen some who ride close to the car lane and have been clipped by a cars side mirror.

Whenever there is a contest between car and bike, the outcome is ALWAYS the same. The cyclist loses. It don't matter if you had the right of way, etc.

Old April 12th 19, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
[...]

Read again what I wrote.

There is no valid excuse for cyclists to run lights and stop signs.

Yes there is. There are many places I've encountered where the buried
vehicle sensors do not reliably detect bicycles, and as a consequence it
is necessary to ignore the lights and proceed with caution.

Andy

And while I am at it....

Cyclists should ride close to the curb while in bike lanes.

I have seen some who ride close to the car lane and have been clipped by a cars side mirror.

Whenever there is a contest between car and bike, the outcome is ALWAYS the same. The cyclist loses. It don't matter if you had the right of way, etc.

Oh dear. You probably won't be very popular with a number of people who
chat on this news group with opinions like that.

--
JS
Old April 12th 19, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
[...]

There is a poem that rather emphasizes that point.

Here lies the body of Henry Gray
He died defending his right of way.
His way was right, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he was wrong.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 12th 19, 10:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but why doesn't anybody ever think of the children or the dog in the back?

There is no valid excuse for cyclists to run lights and stop signs.

Yes there is. There are many places I've encountered where the buried
vehicle sensors do not reliably detect bicycles, and as a consequence it
is necessary to ignore the lights and proceed with caution.

A former life insurance CEO, trained mathematician, just got killed by a
drunk motorist, wife badly injured, obediently waiting at a stoplight with
their pedelecs. They should have kept moving. Great against muggers, too.

http://www.tellerreport.com/news/--hit-by-drunk--w%C3%BCstenrot-board-heinen-dies-after-a-traffic-accident-.SyxCy3XcYE.html

And while I am at it....

Cyclists should ride close to the curb while in bike lanes.

"Daddy, look, another clueless gutter bunny!"

I have seen some who ride close to the car lane and have been clipped
by a cars side mirror.

Ride squarely in the "car lane" if the "bike" lane is unsafely narrow or
blocked.

Whenever there is a contest between car and bike, the outcome is ALWAYS
the same. The cyclist loses. It don't matter if you had the right of
way, etc.

Oh dear. You probably won't be very popular with a number of people who
chat on this news group with opinions like that.

AK scientist had already triggered some troll alert lamps.
Old April 12th 19, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
[...]

Good for you so we can pass you because we take the lane.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/