Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

Old February 15th 21, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Fenders. Or maybe mudguards.

Op maandag 15 februari 2021 om 18:50:28 UTC+1 schreef :
On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 9:00:35 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 4:45:13 PM UTC-6, Axel Reichert wrote:
There is one effect, that makes you faster, at least in rain: Rider
comfort. I think in an older issue of Bicycle Quarterly Jan Heine did a
survey on equipment during a Paris-Brest-Paris with extremely foul
weather. If I remember correctly, there was a strong correlation between
"Did Not Finish" and the non-use of fenders: Numb toes, ankle pain, knee
pain, drivetrain worries, ..., all caused by the spraying of water and
dirt.

Best regards

Axel

That was most likely 2007 Paris Brest Paris. On the way back, about 2 days after the start, it poured and poured and rained and rained for about 8 straight hours. And it was cold. Temps in the 50s Fahrenheit. It rained on me from about 10 PM to 3 AM on the way back. Buckets of rain at night and cold cold cold. So it did cause physical problems with the riders and bikes.. BUT, PBP is not an official race. You just have to complete the ride in 80 or 84 or 90 total hours. And get to the various checkpoints before the cutoff time. But its not a race. You just have to ride at 10 mph constantly for the whole 90 hours and you make it. So you can stop and rest or shelter from the rain and cold. And there are towns and places to stop along the route. Every 50 miles or so. For me I rode 5 hours and 50 miles in the worst rain and cold possible before getting to a checkpoint with a shower and food and bed. I stopped there and cleaned up and rested for a few hours before continuing the next morning. Which was a warm pleasant day. It was only that 8 hour stretch of horrible rain and cold. And you could have avoided some of it without too much trouble.

So I am very skeptical of Jan Heine's Bicycle Quarterly correlation of no fenders and Did Not Finish status. The people who did not finish were not strong enough and gave up. Fenders were irrelevant. The water was so strong it was falling out of the sky just as hard as it was splashing up from the road. Everything was soaked and cold.

Yesterday I started on my ride at 1 degree C. I was riding my heaviest bike with 28 mm Continental 4 Seasons tires. Across the low level flats I was OK but seemed more tired than I should have been, I suppose because I only had a couple of cups of coffee for breakfast. I went up Niles Canyon and then turned up Palomares. Niles River was running pretty hard but Palomares creek was nearly dry at the bottom. The more I climbed the more sprinkling rain there was. Since I haven't had what I would call a hard ride in over a month, I had to stop three times on the way up to let my heart rate come down. That is unusual on this ride. I normally go all the way with no stopping. But the 40 miles took 4 hours with 500 meters of climbing. But I was dead. I just looked in my refrigerator and saw a tin of keytones. I should have taken that with me and had it before going up the Niles Canyon and it would have taken effect before the climb.

When I got home I could hardly hold my head up to see ahead. But the next hard ride should be a lot easier since I will prepare properly.

It was still winter here yesterday. Most people went ice skating:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nmvsNcUjLfwLYys58

I don't do that so I went for a ride with studded tires mounted to avoid crashing on patches of ice an iced packed snow. Bloody hell talking about rolling resistance. I was exhausted after 2.5 hours and 53 km. 20.5 km/hr average.. pfff.

Lou
Old February 15th 21, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Well, the idea is to get exercise and not km, so mission accomplished.
Old February 15th 21, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

No way I could ride a bike on our snow/slush/deep till streets. I barely managed in a Subaru with snow tires. Freezing rain hit yesterday and took out our power along with a zillion trees. A tree fell and blocked the entrance to my neighborhood, but my lumberjack neighbors had it sawed to bits in no time. Bike theme ice pictu https://tinyurl.com/4868nb5u When the ice hits, all the dead and weak trees snap and pull down the power lines. 250,000 or more were or are without power. I worry about my roof trusses and pipes freezing since I have no heat without electricity to run my hydronic pumps.

It warmed up today, and the power to our part of the zipcode just came back. My wife and I went for a walk, and its a soggy mess of snow, water and branches. I'll be on rollers for the next few days. I took a work holiday, but now that the power is back on, I better go to work.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 15th 21, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/15/2021 5:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thought about you when I heard that on the national radio
news. Sounds just miserable (not to say our weather's all
that much better, just not trees on power lines)

Daughter, who normally rides all over NE Chicago and into
Evanston, says the hard frozen crud layers, except in the
car lanes, has kept her off the bike and into Uber/Lyft.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 15th 21, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

[...]

meanwhile in Chicago:
https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/02...-possibly-can/

great photo

Old February 16th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/15/2021 6:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
When the ice hits, all the dead and weak trees snap and pull down the power lines. 250,000 or more were or are without power. I worry about my roof trusses and pipes freezing since I have no heat without electricity to run my hydronic pumps.

It warmed up today, and the power to our part of the zipcode just came back. My wife and I went for a walk, and its a soggy mess of snow, water and branches. I'll be on rollers for the next few days.

Don't waste your energy on the rollers. Get a pedal powered hydronic
pump! Like chopping wood, it would warm you twice!

What's the actual heat source? Natural gas? If so, maybe a Stirling
Engine or even IC engine could drive the pump.

Slightly more seriously: I remember reading, long ago, a proposal to use
IC engines to heat houses. In principle, a small engine similar to one
in a portable generator could generate electricity and run a heat pump.
Waste heat could contribute to heating the house, too, just as a car's
heater delivers waste engine heat to the car's interior.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 16th 21, 10:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 11:34:50 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

meanwhile in Chicago:
https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/02...-possibly-can/

..
You expect snow and ice in Chicago, and incompetent street clearing. Dr Friedman, not most people's idea of a standup comedian, could do quite a turn linking union and city corruption to uncleared streets; laughter made the effort of reaching the office worthwhile.

A Greek artist sent me pictures of Athens under heavy snow. Athens!

Andre Jute
We had snow once here in West Cork. If you blinked, you missed it.
Old February 16th 21, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:47:23 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/15/2021 6:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
When the ice hits, all the dead and weak trees snap and pull down the power lines. 250,000 or more were or are without power. I worry about my roof trusses and pipes freezing since I have no heat without electricity to run my hydronic pumps.

It warmed up today, and the power to our part of the zipcode just came back. My wife and I went for a walk, and its a soggy mess of snow, water and branches. I'll be on rollers for the next few days.

Don't waste your energy on the rollers. Get a pedal powered hydronic
pump! Like chopping wood, it would warm you twice!

What's the actual heat source? Natural gas? If so, maybe a Stirling
Engine or even IC engine could drive the pump.

The hydronic system is NG. It cycles, and without an electronic ignition, you'd be standing next to the boiler re-lighting the burners, but I could probably find a couple chain drive pumps. The best option would be a pedal generator/battery to bypass house current -- hey, maybe a gas generator like normal people! Necessity is the mother of re-invention.

We're such electricity wimps. Everybody is working from home these days, and being without electricity meant no work. I took a holiday -- it was Presidents' day anyway. My best biking buddy neighbor drove out of the snow-bog to the coast. My across the street neighbors went to a hotel and got their room just as power was coming on. We texted them, but they decided to continue their hotel adventure. We were expecting the outage to go on longer as it has for a lot of people in the metro area. The neighbors next to them were going to boil coffee water for us this morning since we have an electric stove (didn't covert that to gas when I bought gas in the house for heat). Life without coffee is just too miserable. I was rummaging around in the attic with my headlight on Sunday night looking for gas canisters for the Coleman stove but couldn't find them. I know they're somewhere. Don't you hate it when you can picture something and know it is somewhere, but you can't find it. The canister will materialize the second I buy some new ones.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 16th 21, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

[...]

Honda portable generators are cheap and quiet. You plug their output into the external power outlet of your home after turning off the main power switch from the pole. The idea of using the generator heat to heat a home is preposterous. Please learn a little practical energy use.
Old February 16th 21, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:47:53 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if half of the New Green Deal bunch die from the cold and pure unadulterated ignorance.

New mudguards Budstaff UK 8 March 29th 06 06:39 PM
Mudguards anjuna UK 6 January 18th 06 02:28 AM
mudguards anjuna UK 46 January 15th 06 10:46 AM
Mudguards Alan Paterson UK 10 August 13th 04 10:33 AM
20" mudguards ? kingsley Australia 3 April 5th 04 12:26 PM