Non riding friend pi**ed me off today

Old July 10th 03, 02:05 AM
Barry Gaudet

Default Non riding friend pi**ed me off today

: From: RattRigg )

: Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my
: bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh M80) and asks how much I spent on "all
: this junk?"

: When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt
: exactly a light hearted moment, at least not for me.

: I wish I had told hm that in the two years since I started riding I
: had lost 25 lbs, and that now I can actually walk up the stairs to my
: house without resting at the top. I also could have compared my own
: costs for riding to his costs for one of his more destructive
: obsessions but I did neither.

: still pi**ed off though.

: Seems like there is always some one around who can spend my money
: better then me.

The best revenge is living well.

But if that's not enough; I like to interject, every time my auto-junkie
aquaintenances who consider a bike with unconcealed contempt, bitch &
moan about skyrocketing car insurance rates how much I pay [$0/year].
Every time they whine & complain about gas prices getting jacked up how
much I pay, [$0/litre]. Then if I really want to twist the knife I
quietly comment how I hope gas/insurance price double and triple again as
I am invested heavily in said companies [doesn't matter whether or not
it's true or not. They won't know]

--

'Ooh I will make you a believer'
-Sass Jordan
Old July 11th 03, 02:00 AM
Eric

That's true. Most 'Mart bikes aren't worth $200, and most LBS bikes
cost (slightly) more that that.

Eric

"Pete" wrote in message ...
"RattRigg" wrote in message
om...
Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my
bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh M80) and asks how much I spent on "all
this junk?"

When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt
exactly a light hearted moment, at least not for me.

Overheard in *Mart:
"There ain't NO bicycle in the world worth $200!"

Pete

Old July 11th 03, 05:11 AM
Seecyd

Rattrigg wrote:
Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my bikes
(Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh
M80) and asks how much I spent on "all this junk?"
When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt
exactly a light hearted moment, at least not for me.
I wish I had told hm that in the two years since I started riding I had
lost 25 lbs, and that now I can actually walk up the stairs to my house
without resting at the top. I also could have compared my own costs for
riding to his costs for one of his more destructive obsessions but I
did neither.
still pi**ed off though.
Seems like there is always some one around who can spend my money
better then me.

Hope you're not still ****ed off... instead you should be really proud
of yourself, and forget those ignorant remarks.

--
You can't be good, unless you love it!

Old July 11th 03, 06:19 AM
Zoot Katz

11 Jul 2003 14:01:33 +0950, ,
Seecyd wrote:

Hope you're not still ****ed off... instead you should be really proud
of yourself, and forget those ignorant remarks.

\szip
Posted via cyclingforums.com

This is USENET, where ignorant remarks are neither forgotten nor
forgiven. They're archived.
--
zk
Old July 11th 03, 02:10 PM
Seecyd

wrote:
Hope you're not still ****ed off... instead you should be really proud
of yourself, and forget those ignorant remarks.

\szip
Posted via cyclingforums.com

This is USENET, where ignorant remarks are neither forgotten nor
forgiven. They're archived.
--
zk

How about you trash those archives then? negative archiving is not good
for the cycling soul - LOL

--
You can't be good, unless you love it!

Old July 11th 03, 02:31 PM
Actually34

About a year ago, I ditched the health club I belonged to when its annual
family membership fees approached $1,000 a year (and my kids had both left home
to go to college) and took up cycling. I use my bike to excercise while running
errands to the store almost everyday, and commuting to work, school or the
library. By bicycling and not driving, I estimate I save about $520 a year in
gas and wear and tear on the car (more if you count parking fees). I've already
repaid the price of my Specialized Hardrock (used) and the modifications to it
for commuting. Over the next 10 years, I figure I'll save more than $15,200
just in health club dues and auto expenses. Maybe one of these days I'll
splurge, go hog wild, and trade up to a Co-Motion (I can't afford a Ferrari,
but can afford the Ferrari -- well, mabye the Mercedes Benz -- of bicycles).
I'll still be up more than 12 grand. Tell your non riding friend to ponder that
in all his smugness.

And the environmental benefits are for everybody.

David

Old July 14th 03, 08:14 PM
jmk

Yeah, well, I have a friend that goes on about how she hates bikes using
the roads. She says, I know that you ride but I just hate them. She
lives just off a national bike route. Uh, cyclists are being DIRECTED
in your direction Susan...

Old July 15th 03, 02:34 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

mark freedman wrote:

Everybody has their own crazy. You're just overly touchy about it.

My Italian father has a term for these, he calls them Le Dolci Manie, The Sweet Manias. Cycling is definitely a
Dolce Mania.

Cheers,

Elisa Roselli
Paris, France

Old July 15th 03, 04:10 PM
Michael

RattRigg wrote:

Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my
bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh M80) and asks how much I spent on "all
this junk?"

When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt
exactly a light hearted moment, at least not for me.

I wish I had told hm that in the two years since I started riding I
had lost 25 lbs, and that now I can actually walk up the stairs to my
house without resting at the top. I also could have compared my own
costs for riding to his costs for one of his more destructive
obsessions but I did neither.

still pi**ed off though.

Seems like there is always some one around who can spend my money
better then me.

No doubt your friend drives an automobile; ask how much auto insurance
costs. Then inquire how much he spent on couch potato trappings: stereo
and tele. Avoid throwing his "You're crazy" back at him. Instead, tell
him, "Well, it seems we choose to spend our treasure at different
shops."
Old August 15th 04, 04:22 AM
GRL

Reality check time rolls round yet again.

You could have saved even more money buying a $200 bike at a place like
Dick's.

You cannot get the range of workout on your bike that you can get at a
health club. It is physically imposable. You saved some bucks leaving the
club, but you lost workout quality.

Buying your dream bike will not save you any money, will not help the
environment (does not need your help, anyway) any more than your riding a
$200 bike would.

If all you wanted was a nice workout and to save some gas you could get a
pair of $40 running shoes and ,,,run. Carry some weights and you even get
a better workout.

- GRL

" It's good to want things. "

- Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, graphic artist, Visual Basic
programmer)