Trials Pedals. What do you LIKE.

Old August 19th 03, 11:50 PM
Logan_A.

Default Trials Pedals. What do you LIKE.

Hey this is my second post about me now having a job and being able to
afford things. My brothers friend works at a bike store so he can get me
a nice deal on some pedals, but he goes away for school sept 1st so I
have to buy pedals before profiles. I was wondering what pedals are
really grippy and hold up awsomely, and any special features like
lifetime warranty would be nice. I was looking at the wellgo alien but
found a review page saying they suck ass for drops. I was also looking
at the snafu concaves the older model and the axiom road gap, however I
couldn't find a review page on them has anybody used these pedals? What
do you think of them? Another thing when doing drops, when should I
start doing seat out front drops.

Thanks

Logan

--
Logan_A. - Trials und Street rider

Zoink!!!
Logan_A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4088

Old August 19th 03, 11:59 PM
tugboat

hey logan. you told me you were gonna be doing a lot of street riding
too. so you'll probably want a 2nd set of pedals in which you'll be bale
to grind on. i myself use a cheap plastic one on my grinding side and a
wellgo something or other on my left. this setup works for me.

see ya, Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Old August 20th 03, 12:27 AM
Logan_A.

yo kevin,

What about a cheap metal pedal on the grinding side. Just grind it down
smooth on one side so you still have the gripp and the slide. I think
this would be better than plastic. THis is clearly a trials post so go
away.

tty on MSN

Logoid the One eyed chick pea

Old August 20th 03, 12:34 AM
manic_mark

gusset full throttle pedals should be good for grinding, as they have a
steel plate on the underside for grinding (removable) and still the
grippy pins on the top side, dont know what they are like for trials and
drops or stuff tho, retail at £30 over here in the U.K so thats roughly
$45?

--
manic_mark - level 3, most of the time

lever (dot) mark (at) ntlworld (dot) com
manic_mark's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1592

Old August 20th 03, 08:12 PM
gingerfreek

i use Shimano DX pedals which are WELL good. they are soo light and
strong and grippy but then i havn't done any huge drops.
they have took loads of crankstalls and pedal grabs tho so they are
good.

my mountainbiker friend uses 24/7 slacks which have a huge platform with
douzens of pins, probably the grippiest pedals ive ever seen and they
look imense too and are very light.

both sets of pedals cost around 50 or 60 quid tho so expensive (got my
DX's for 20 ).

neway just thought i'd say those pedals are great.

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Old August 20th 03, 08:35 PM
john_childs

Someone is going to have to try the 'Gack Juggernaught'
(http://www.gackbmx.com/juggernaut.html) pedals. They look like they
would be good, strong, and hold up well. Three sealed cartridge
bearings per pedal. Grip pins that thread in from the back side of the
pedal so they're easier to replace. They ought to be good because they
have a $129.99 MSRP (ouch!). It looks like it should be a good trials
pedal but I don't know anyone who has used it.

Pedals are a tricky item. They take a lot of abuse so they tend to fall
apart. There are lots of respected MTB platform pedals out there that
only survive for a couple of months of trials riding or muni riding.
Trials riding and muni put a lot more abuse on pedals than mountain
biking. The moral of the story is that just because a DH or freeride
mountain biker says a pedal is good doesn't mean the pedal will hold up
to muni and trials. Many sealed platform pedals suffer from a design
that destroys the bearing in as little as a few months. The better
pedals have a design that is easier on the bearing(s).

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 20th 03, 08:40 PM
john_childs

johnglazer wrote:
*I'd say go with the Nashbar Big Mashers, they are cheap and have
great grip.
[image:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=2150&brand=]

they are $16.95

http://tinyurl.com/kn0y *

Caged bear-trap pedals will not hold up to trials. After a few pedal
grabs and a grid the teeth on the cage will fold over and there goes the
grip. You'll end up replacing the cages over and over and over again
(assuming Nashbar has replaceable cages as a separate item). Platform
pedals with pins will hold up better and last longer.

Old August 20th 03, 11:44 PM
AccordNSX

Snafu concave.

--
AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

If I had a signature, would you forge it?
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

Old August 21st 03, 04:37 AM
johnglazer

John_childs is right about the teeth folding over on the nashbar pedals,
but they still grip very well. The metal is pretty soft though, I bent
mine up pretty badly from when they hit my shin, but they still grip
better than any pedals I have used before. If you want pedals that last
a long time, dont get the mashers. I just like them because of the
grip and cheap price.

--
johnglazer - member of the Hell On Wheel gang

Where is Donnie?
johnglazer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3714

Old August 21st 03, 06:06 AM
harper

I can't believe you pansies are still using pedals for trials riding.
You only NEED the cranks, if that.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with