Fastest speed on a coker?

Old August 20th 03, 07:32 PM
Eublapharis13

Default Fastest speed on a coker?

OK.... me and my brother have a debate going on about the fastest
speed.. he says it's 18 MPH and i say it's 30 MPH can anyone help me
out?

--
Eublapharis13 - Working on wheel walking

Half the Bike.....Twice the MAN!
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

Old August 20th 03, 10:36 PM
gerblefranklin

What's the world record for highest speed on a unicycle w/o gliding or
coasting? 30mph seems pretty fast.

--
gerblefranklin

Old August 21st 03, 07:30 AM
daino149

Anyone know the fastest speed of someone coasting?

Daniel

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old August 21st 03, 06:44 PM
Memphis Mud

You would reach "terminal velocity" at around 120 MPH. But I assume you
mean riding ON the earth and not TOWARDS it.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old August 21st 03, 07:38 PM
unibiker

Memphis Mud wrote:
*You would reach "terminal velocity" at around 120 MPH.*

Unless you're tracking head down with arms tucked back. Terminal
velocity increases to near 200 mph in this streamlined position.

--
unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

Jeff Baker

______________________________

Favorite comment (from a child) 'You can't do that. That's impossible.'
'Unibike Pics Here' (
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

Old August 21st 03, 08:12 PM
paco

While we're on this topic, I remember someone saying that their personal
top speed on a Coker was something like 15 MPH. That seems pretty slow,
especially when I've gotten to 14 mph on my 24" (and offroad to boot!)

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old August 21st 03, 08:31 PM
gerblefranklin

If you hit 120mph higher in the atmosphere you might go a bit faster
before you hit terminal velocity because of the lowered air pressure.

--
gerblefranklin

Old September 1st 03, 10:45 PM
rogeratunicycledotcom

nathan wrote:
*The highest speed I've heard of was between 29 and 30 mph by
Christian. If I hadn't seen him ride I wouldn't think that's possible,
given how fast and dangerous 20mph feels to me. Anyway, MANY people
have gone well over 18mph.
*

Christian is the man, he is certainly fast! I went for a little ride
him at eurocycle. It was fantastic, we sort of cruise at the same
speed.... it would be the one time I could not find my speedo but
Christain was saying it was around 30 kph that we found our comfortable
speed at. Faster than I thought it would be, but cool! isn't that
somewhere around 18mph.
As for my top speed, I have done 24mph but do not like going above
20mph... it scares me.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

Old September 3rd 03, 03:46 AM
Nathan Hoover

What do you have your cyclometer calibration set to?

Old September 3rd 03, 10:53 PM
Klaas Bil

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:01:15 -0500, Ken Fuchs
wrote:

To calculate wheel size, one must ride a carefully measured one turn of
the wheel or several turns / number of turns. Measuring my wheel
without riding resulted in a circumference that was about 2% longer
(2839mm) than measuring when riding (2834mm). Riding appears to
compress the tire slightly, giving a smaller than expected
circumference.

You've probably made a typo in the numbers or misplaced a decimal
point. The difference between those two rollouts is actually about
0.18%.

There is also an unclarity in my mind about the definition of 'speed'.
I can think of two definitions for speed. One is the circumference of
the wheel multiplied by the cadence, I call that tyre speed. The other
is the distance covered per unit of time, I call that road speed. The
two are different for (again) two reasons; for both of these, their
effect is in the same direction:

1. Wobble.
2. Tyre compression.

The first is fundamental, and it is a philosophical question what the
'best' definition of speed would be. The second could be avoided by
measuring the rollout while sitting on the uni. I measured the rollout
of my wheels when unloaded but when I sit on them the tyre compresses
and the effective wheel radius decreases. According to my
measurements, the two effects combined cause a difference on the order
of 3%.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker... - Roger Davies