Muni pedals - what do you like?

Old August 20th 03, 09:52 PM
john_childs

Default Muni pedals - what do you like?

The Wellgo B27's and B37's are OK pedals. However, they do eat bearings
because of the design of the pedal. They use the same basic design as
the Easton platform pedals and many other MTB/BMX platform pedals. The
problem is that the design puts too much side load on the bearing and
the bearing eventually falls apart. Depending on how rough you are on
the pedals you can get as little as a few months use before the bearings
fail or as long as a year or more before the bearings fail. If you can
get the B27's or B37's for a real good price then they are OK. Just be
prepared to replace the bearings when they fail. I use the Wellgo's on
my Coker, but I don't use them on my muni. On a Coker the B27's or
B37's will last a long time. On a muni their life expectancy is
shorter.

My comments above refer to the sealed version of the pedals. The
"unsealed" bearing version shouldn't have the same problem. But
unsealed pedals require their own special types of maintenance.

If you want a bomb proof muni pedal try the Atom Lab Aircorps. I have a
review of them 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/79i8). They're expensive at
around $100, but they're worth it. I get over a years use out of the
bearings with fairly rough riding. And when the bearings fail the
platform doesn't fall off the spindle like the B27's and B37's do.

I love the Aircorps for muni. I have two pairs (one pair for each
muni). I don't think there is a better muni pedal out there. If you
can get over the $100 sticker shock they're a good deal because they'll
last and aren't likely to leave you stranded during a ride.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 20th 03, 10:34 PM
gerblefranklin

I run the Sun ringle Zuzu pedals on my muni, which have satisfied me,
except a platform strut on my left pedal has cracked from an
unsucessful pedal grab. I bought these because they were cheap and had
sealed bearings, but I wouldn't buy them again. They're weak and not all
of the pins are replaceable. Buy the aircorps or the shimano DX's. Those
will last forever.

--
gerblefranklin

Old August 21st 03, 01:15 AM
joemarshall

atomlabs are indeed lovely.

I found that the cheapo v12 copies I had didn't last very long before
going wobbly.

With hard riding and lots of riding, cheap pedals last about 3-4 weeks
before not being so nice to ride and maybe 6 months before being nasty.
Whereas atomlabs ones just keep on working. I've also had success with
azonic a-frames, although only after I loctited the endcaps down which
due to the side load that John is talking about.

Expensive pedals also have much better grip which is great for winter
riding.

If you're wearing out a pair of pedals a year, then get expensive ones,
£50 for good pedals is only three pairs of cheaper ones. However if
you're riding on cheapo ones and they're lasting forever then you may be
fine with them, although you're missing out on the extra grip and better
platform that they have, which really makes a difference to your
riding.

Personally I reckon people are silly about pedals, surely along with the
seat, they're one of the most important parts of the unicycle, probably
more so than an expensive frame, it's worth getting good ones.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old August 21st 03, 01:49 AM
nathan

After quite a while on Wellgo B-37, I switched to Easton Cully. I don't
recommend these because of their price but I stumbled on this one pair
for $57 a year ago and finally am giving it a try. I think they list for
$130 or something. I know others who love these - cost seems to be the
only downside. The pins are even better (sharper and skinnier) than the
B37s, but to thin to survive pedal grabs. They feel fantastic.

In general, find a decent pair under $30 that you like and plan on
replacing them every year or so, or maybe just the bearings.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251