Trouble balacing on my new KH24.....

Old August 22nd 03, 03:58 PM
zod

Default Trouble balacing on my new KH24.....

Maybe I still have to get used to long cranks, but I always seem to be
riding off-camber, either leaning to the left a little or to the right.
I can never seem to be perfectly upright for very long. I personally
think it is caused from riding on knobbies. A smooth wheel stays
constant across the surface, but if you get off the middle knobs on a
knobbie you have a straight transition to the next set of knobs.
Would lowering my tire pressure possibly help so that the crown of my
tire would flatten out a little bit (I am running about 30-35 psi right
now)????

Or is this normal and I will move beyond it soon enough?

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Old August 22nd 03, 04:27 PM
Krashin'Kenny

If you are running a Gazz, I would definately lower the pressure. I run
mine @16-18 psi and I weigh 180. I've found that when I first got my
Muni (and had about 30 psi in the tire), it was almost uncontrollable

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old August 22nd 03, 04:39 PM
jason

zod wrote:
*Would lowering my tire pressure possibly help so that the crown of my
tire would flatten out a little bit (I am running about 30-35 psi
right now)????*

I have a KH24 with a Gazz tire and I've observed that there are two main
factors for controlling the beast. These rules may apply to other 24x3
downhill tires as well.

1) Tire pressure
Lower pressure seems to increase control. I consider 30-35 to be quite
high. Start lowering pressure until you find a comfort zone.

2) Terrain
The Gazz doesn't like paved roads but loves to ride in the woods.

Lastly, it will likely take a few weeks to get used to riding the KH24
for all the reasons you can imagine... new tire/rim size, crank length,
pedals, different saddle etc.

Cheers,
Jason

--
jason - Just some guy
jason's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1014

Old August 22nd 03, 05:02 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how the Gazz doesn't like pavement (as
Jason mentioned). Put it in the dirt, it makes a world of difference in
the way it performs!!

Old August 22nd 03, 05:09 PM
zod

I am running the DURO not the gazz......

Once I wear out the DURO I am going to put on a good hybrid tire because
I ride pavement as much as I ride dirt.
Eventually I will get a uni just for street but I'll have to wait a
while or my wife will kill me.

Old August 22nd 03, 05:26 PM
Gumbo

Anyone bought a KH24 in/into the UK?

I'm thinking of getting something along those lines, but it looks like
it might end up being the new Onza Muni. If there is a way to get the
KH24 without paying waaaaay over the odds, I'd definatly be interested.

--
Gumbo
Gumbo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3258

Old August 22nd 03, 07:35 PM
Krashin'Kenny

zod wrote:
*I am running the DURO not the gazz......

Once I wear out the DURO I am going to put on a good hybrid tire
because I ride pavement as much as I ride dirt.
Eventually I will get a uni just for street but I'll have to wait a
while or my wife will kill me. *

I'd still recommend dropping the tire pressure first

Old August 22nd 03, 08:23 PM
chirokid

zod wrote:
*Trouble balcing on my new KH24 *

Zod, your new KH24 probably has some small defect, causing it to not
balance well.

Pack it up and send it across the mountain to me. I will give it a
complete inspection from top to bottom. In addition, I promise to
perform multiple test sessions to ensure its ride-ability. Please
realize that I am very busy, so I may have to keep your new KH24 for
several weeks, maybe even 2 to 3 months, but I do promise to find the
problem.

E-mail me privately for my shipping address. It is my pleasure to help
my fellow uni-friends. Lastly, because I care so much, I will not
charge you anything for this complete inspection.

In service to my fellow Uni rider, --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old August 22nd 03, 08:27 PM
onefiftyfour

zod wrote:
*...I always seem to be riding off-camber, either leaning to the left
a little or to the right. I can never seem to be perfectly upright for
very long
*

I seem to have this problem sometimes. I've been thinking it has
something to do with the kh saddle. I can't seem to ride with my pelvis
squared-up on the saddle. I've noticed it more on the coker. Also,
I've theorized that my feet position on the pedals was causing the
problem. If one foot is placed further forward than the other on the
pedal, it could cause the hip to angle slightly. You might check that.

If you ever figure it out, let me know. It can be annoying constantly
adjusting yourself over the uni.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old August 22nd 03, 08:36 PM
zod

chirokid wrote:
*

Zod, your new KH24 probably has some small defect, causing it to not
balance well. etc. etc. etc. yada yada yada...
*

chirokid, if we weren't both confederate brethren I might have to shoot
you full of lead-shot for trying to steal my mUni........