Brake Boss Welding

Old August 27th 03, 04:02 PM
paco

Default Brake Boss Welding

I'm finally thinking of putting brake bosses on my MUni. It's a hard
decision because it's so beautiful as it is, and I would hate to ruin
that.
However--
I've noticed that the most tiring thing for me on my rides are the
downhills, and I want to reserve my strength for other parts of the
ride. So I'm considering welding on brake bosses.
I've got a question about welding. My SHaKH NaS MUni is stainless
steel, and I was told that if I wanted to weld to hold, I'd have to use
like metal for the bosses as well. Is there any truth to that? Will I
have to get stainless steel brake bosses? I know nothing about welding,
so any help would be great.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old August 27th 03, 05:35 PM
brian.slater

We had a situation at work where a cast iron plug was welded to a steel
tank and it never did stop cracking. The problem is the different
temperature expansion rates, if you can find a material with the same
coefficient of expansion, it should be ok. Although, you might have to
get the same alloy stainless.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old August 27th 03, 05:41 PM
johnfoss

S_Wallis wrote:
*If I happen to install brakes before then, however, there will be no
need for such a ridiculous rule. *

AHA! That's right! Why penalize people for having brakes? They spent the
money, went through whatever setup and adjustment hassles, and,
remember, they have to carry the extra weight on all the uphills.

Downieville is a great place for brakes, but we'll be fine without them.
But the ride is on Sunday on purpose; you might be pretty tired on
Monday!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 27th 03, 07:11 PM
showard

Paco - Your frame is common 300 series stainless steel. TIG welding
carbon steel brake bosses (what most bike brake bosses are) to the
stainless will be no problem as long as the filler rod that the welder
uses is stainless steel. Filler rod is what's melted during the welding
process to fill the gap or create a fillet between the parts that are
being joined together. Stainless brake bosses would be cool since they
would never rust but would have to be custom made I'm sure.

Are you thinking of adding v-brake bosses or hydraulic Magura brakes?
I've read that v-brakes don't work well for MUni because the wide rims
and tires we use make the v-brake arms stick out to get pushed and
snagged on things making the brakes activate when you don't want them
to.

Steve Howard

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old August 27th 03, 09:06 PM
paco

johnfoss wrote:
*Why penalize people for having brakes? They spent the money, went
through whatever setup and adjustment hassles, and, remember, they
have to carry the extra weight on all the uphills.*

I don't know about you, but I'm planning on -riding- up the uphills!

Steve,
Thanks for responding. I would have e-mailed you, but I thought this
might come in handy for someone else, too.
I'm thinking of using the V-brakes. The hydraulics seem a little out of
my price range, but I'm only using a 2.6" tire, so hopefully it
shouldn't be as big of a problem.
I really hope I'm doing your frame justice.

Old August 27th 03, 09:40 PM
Nathan Hoover

Paco, what you want is this kit:
http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=549 Make sure you weld them
on as your frame-maker has described and you'll love it. The brake you want
is http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=520 - you won't have to
use the booster with this setup so no worries with a 3" tire.

See you in Oct!

---Nathan

PS The no-welding solution
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=566 is a very low-end piece
of equipment that you won't like long term. Although if on an extreme budget
it could be used until the real hydraulic solution is affordable.

Old August 28th 03, 04:06 AM
Krashin'Kenny

Hey Paco,
If you'd rather use Maguras, I have a set that I bet I can fit into
your "price range"

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old August 28th 03, 04:41 PM
evilewan

and one more question about the practicality of brakes,

don`t you have to realy make sure that your rim is perfectly true?,

i ride my trials unicycle with a realy bent and bashed monty rim thats
currently splitting arround the spoke nipples, it is no longer posible
to true it properly, if i was riding a 24 i`d have to replace the rim as
soon as it became untruable,

it would be kind of iritating having to treat a bad boy 24 muni with kid
gloves just so i could use the brakes,

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old August 29th 03, 12:40 AM
Dirtsurfer

paco wrote:
*Has anyone had any problems with the Magura Hydraulic brakes or the
braze-on kit? I don't know of too many other options (from
unicycle.com, at least). *

I haven't had any problems with either. I welded on
a Magura brake mount kit to my Hunter. Reminder though, figure out the
rim width you will be using. Magura recommends 90 MM spacing, I found
this to not be enough (using Azonic Momentum 44MM rim) for wider rims.
My KH pro measures 98MM. Ended up having to cut the ones off my frame
an hour after I painted it. Another recommendation, get the 90 degree
kit for the hose at the lever. You can direct the hose a little better
and it will be shorter. It is a pain to put together though.

| Attachment filename: mvc-027f.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/159200|

Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

Old August 29th 03, 03:31 AM
doctor

Dirtsurfer wrote:
*
I (using Azonic Momentum 44MM rim) for wider
rims.
get the 90 degree kit for the hose at the lever. *

Above two things are great. I wanted those but not reached there.
I'm currently using Mavic Deemax 26" rim and Alex 24" rim.
I have wanted to by Azonic Momentum 24" rim because it is very wide and
also have good rim braking surface.
But here, they only sell as a complete wheel set which has a little bit
high price tag on it. Also they have no 24" yet . I wish they
make 24" and sell as a rim only. If they do, it will be a great deal
for the municyclist.

For 90 degree connector, I have dreamed it. Not reached there.

--
doctor - WildDoc at WildUni.com

Insane at 'unicycle' (http://www.wilduni.com) but not so insane at
'work' (http://www.kumc.or.kr)