Schwalbe Big Apple 60-622

Old August 29th 03, 02:35 PM
juergen_brauckmann

Default Schwalbe Big Apple 60-622

Hi.

Some of you have mentioned that you are using the Schwalbe Big Apple
with their 28"/29"ers. Schwalbe makes two 28" versions, one that is 2.0"
wide (50-622) and one that is 2.35" (60-622).

If you have a 60-622 Big Apple: Which rim are you using?

Schwalbe recommends using this tire with rims not smaller than 622-25C,
which are nearly impossible to find, and I would like to know wether
it's possible to mount them on a smaller rim. The Sun Rhyno Lite should
be a 622-22C or 622-21C, does the 28"x2.35 Big Apple work with that?

Thanks,
Juergen

--
juergen_brauckmann - Title? What title?
juergen_brauckmann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2079

Old August 29th 03, 08:10 PM
john_childs

Greg Haper has the 2.35" Schwalbe Big Apple on the Blue Shift unicycle.
The rim is a 'Velocity Dyad' (http://tinyurl.com/lmo3). It's not the
widest rim, but it seems to do fine with the fat Schwalbe for road
riding. The fat Schwalbe makes the rim look really skinny.

The rim database at airfreetires.com lists the Rhyno Lite as being 22mm
wide and the Velocity Dyad as being 18mm wide. The Rhyno would be
better.
'Rim database at airfreetires.com' (http://tinyurl.com/lmo4)

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 29th 03, 08:56 PM
harper

john_childs wrote:
*
The rim database at airfreetires.com lists the Rhyno Lite as being
22mm wide and the Velocity Dyad as being 18mm wide. *

The original tire was a NanoRaptor, the Big Apple was given to me by
Steve Howard. I wanted to use the Rhyno Lite at the time I had the wheel
built but couldn't get one soon enough. The Velocity Dyad fit the
NanoRaptor and was slightly lighter so I went for it. Clearly, the Big
Apple fit on it also.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with

Old August 29th 03, 09:35 PM
jagur

danger_uni wrote:
*

Has anyone tried the Motoraptor? Info on this tire is at:
http://www.wtb.com/motoraptor_4952.html

-Kris. *

im riding the MotoRapter right now,its a great tyre.

its got slightly less air volume than the Nano but the knobbies are
great.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gall...x_flipped.gif]

Old August 29th 03, 11:29 PM
Klaas Bil

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:35:02 -0500, juergen_brauckmann
wrote:

If you have a 60-622 Big Apple: Which rim are you using?

I have the tyre but it's not yet mounted. It should go on my 28"
Nimbus commuter as sold by unicycle.uk.com. Will do so one of these
weeks (I think).

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker... - Roger Davies

Old August 30th 03, 07:23 PM
juergen_brauckmann

Thanks for all your answers. I was a little bit worried because I could
not find a rim that matches Schwalbes recommendation for their tire, so
I wanted to here from someone that uses it on a smaller rim. Obviously
it simply works... . Thanks again.

Regards,
Juergen

Old August 30th 03, 08:00 PM
U-Turn

showard wrote:
*I've had my Big Apple on ...... *

Hey Steve -- where did you get hold of the 700c Big Apple?

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old August 30th 03, 08:17 PM
joemarshall

jagur wrote:
*im riding the MotoRapter right now,its a great tyre.

its got slightly less air volume than the Nano but the knobbies are
great. *

I just saw two in the local bike co-operative thingy here, but they're
on a rather expensive surly karate monkey, so I couldn't buy them. They
look much more like a 26" 2.1 tyre than the silly IRC Notos tyre.
There's apparently 4 different versions, maybe mud, normal and kevlar or
not, or something.

Anyone in the UK wanting one, Trek import them as of this year, so you
can buy them from Trek dealers.

Oh and the big apple 700c is apparently out there too. So there's now 3
choices of 29" tyre (the other one being IRC notos 29) available in the
UK.

I also saw the 26" version of the big apple specced on some bikes (Surly
1x1 and something else), sounds like some other people have discovered
them.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old August 30th 03, 09:26 PM
jagur

U-Turn wrote:
*Hey Steve -- where did you get hold of the 700c Big Apple? *

i belive he had to get one from over sea's but they are at uni.com now
for $35 or close to that i think.

i have also 'read' (http://tinyurl.com/lq2f) that there is a new one out
from Bontrager called the ACX 29,and lets not forget about the Kenda
29's,i havent seen these in real life yet so i dont know about them.

Old August 30th 03, 09:45 PM
Max_Dingemans

But at uni.com it's only the 26" big apple's...

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981