Unicycle in Bicycling Magazine ad

Old August 31st 03, 06:32 AM
UniBrier

Default Unicycle in Bicycling Magazine ad

Opened up my October 2003 Bicycling and this was on page 4 from 'Nalgene
Hydration' (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/) .

They should have said no reason for thirst to force you off your
unicycle.

| Attachment filename: ironhorse083003 013.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/159563|

UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old August 31st 03, 06:44 AM
tomblackwood

UniBrier wrote:
*They should have said no reason for thirst to force you off your
unicycle. *

There are two other inaccuracies in the ad. First, the Nalgene Hydration
Packs are round, and made of hard plastic with a blue screw on top.
Second, no self-respecting model would be caught on that road on
anything smaller than a Coker....

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old August 31st 03, 07:51 AM
XWonka

can anyone identify the unicycle he's rideing?

--
XWonka - Ed, Edd, & Eddy Watcher

Eddy: "My brother told me that chicks are only moved by one thing -
cash!"

Edd: "That is so superficial, Eddy. Female admirers want meaningful
things like sincerity, respect and good grooming"

Ed: "And Potato Chips!"

XWonka: "And Unicycles!"

XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

Old August 31st 03, 08:32 AM
johnglazer

Isn't that a 20"?

--
johnglazer - member of the Hell On Wheel gang

Where is Donnie?
johnglazer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3714

Old August 31st 03, 01:49 PM
Memphis Mud

The art director at the Ad Agency obviously doesn't have a grasp of the
state of Unicycling today.

His/Her inclusion of the silly hat is a visual manafestation of the
cliche'd question: "Hey, are you in the circus?"

If you want to show a sportsman who needs hydration, dress the
unicyclist in full battle gear and put twigs and dirt in his/her teeth
and maybe include some blood!

(My qualifications to rant: I'm a thirsty MUnier in a hot/humid climate
and an ex-art director.)

And besides, if dude feels the wind at his BACK, he's barely moving. On
a flat paved stretch such as that, he should feel the wind in his FACE.
Get moving!!

My perception from the ad is that that particular pedaller doesn't
require the equipment being peddled. I hear "the Circus Song" (Enter the
Gladiators?). Oh look, a cute little unicyler.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old August 31st 03, 02:38 PM
Krashin'Kenny

tomblackwood wrote:
*
There are two other inaccuracies in the ad. First, the Nalgene
Hydration Packs are round, and made of hard plastic with a blue screw
on top. Second, no self-respecting model would be caught on that road
on anything smaller than a Coker.... *

Sorry to correct you Tom, but Nalgene does make a Hydration Pak as
pictured. My daughter has one just like the one in the picture. The 100
oz. paks are available on ebay for less than $30 including shipping.
What a deal!!!!!!!!!!

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old August 31st 03, 03:42 PM
UniBrier

I think that is a Savage Saddle too. Must not had much of a budget.

I left off the bottom of the ad with the packs and bottles illustrated.
Here's the complete one:

| Attachment filename: pict1581sized.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/159601|

Old August 31st 03, 04:14 PM
Carol McLean

I like the ad, probably just because it shows someone on a uni. It's
not the greatest, but I suppose it's a start.

Meanwhile, I hope I am now a [drum roll, please.....]
"real" rider.

Yesterday, I bought a hydration pack! I am so excited! I guess I should
have bought it before yesterday's 8-mile ride. I didn't think I would
need water, but we went farther than I expected.

Luckily, there was an old water pump at one of the parks, and after
several minutes of coaxing, some nice, warm, rust-colored water trickled
out. Ahhh.

But now I have a water pack. I feel so official! I just hope I don't
end up using it as a UPD cushion.

Carol
Minnesota

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

Old August 31st 03, 04:48 PM
cjd

I agree with Carol that we need to see the glass as half full here.
Nalgene is a maker of serious outdoor gear, and the text makes it sound
like the guy is an athlete undertaking a challenging ride.

The image is weak, but they may not have had many to choose from.

--
cjd - who dat?
cjd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3965

Old August 31st 03, 08:20 PM
Memphis Mud

cjd wrote:
*I agree with Carol that we need to see the glass as half full here.
Nalgene is a maker of serious outdoor gear, and the text makes it
sound like the guy is an athlete undertaking a challenging ride.

The image is weak, but they may not have had many to choose from. *

That's just it. Ad agencies set up the exact picture they want and shoot
it. That's what art direction is. They set up this shot. Camera angle,
tree, hat.

I guess its something about the ad agency industry and my favorite hobby
of late...and the picture doesn't fit the copy...

it just got under my skin. Its the hat. Lose that hat and the ad works.
That hat is the cliche. Its the stereotype. It belongs in a parade or
the circus. Heck, we do parades...I'd cheerfully where that hat in a
parade. Not on a sports outing. He should be wearing a helmet.

Gotta go. I'm thirsty.