My first real trail ride....

Old September 4th 03, 11:59 AM
zod

Default My first real trail ride....

I posted this on a mountain bike forum I hang out on but I figured I
would copy it here so ya'll could read it too...

-Originally posted by zod on another forum-
*As most of you know I have been riding a uni for a good 6 months now
and it has turned into quite an addiction. For example I have spent
ungodly hours over the past 3 months just trying to learn to ride
backwards......and there is always a new skill set to learn, it never
ends. Up until now I have spent most of my time on pavement with an
occasional ride down a grass hill or gravel road.
Today however I took my new mUni(mountain unicycle) and headed out in
the truck for a ride at PeeWee's Mountain Bike Trail. It was weird
just leaving the house. As I backed out of the garage I looked at my
bike just sitting there against the wall of the garage. It was calling
to me, "Hey, you forgot to load me in! Wait up!" Driving to the trail
there was no bike filling up my rear view mirror. It felt wrong.
Then when I took to the trail it was amazing. I know PeeWee's forward
and backward yet it was like I had never rode there before. The trail
was new to me. I had thought I knew every rock and root but I was
mistaken. Here I was on a trail I can blow out on the bike and it was
having me for lunch, taunting me, treating me like it's little
step-brother. I rode about 3 miles and then had to retreat do to
incoming storms, or so I try to tell myself....
Back at the car as I took off my helmet and armor I realized that I
have stumbled onto a very special sport. The cardio, excitement,
challenge, the constant 110% concentration, crashes, etc. It's all
there, it's really hard to describe. I thought the lack of speed would
be missed, but it wasn't. mUni doesn't compare to mountain biking but
then again mtn biking doesn't compare to mUni.
All I can say is that you are all missing out, some of you will mock
me I'm sure but it's true.
I now have two sports to enjoy all our great trails on, I'd suggest
you go buy a unicycle today and learn to ride the trails of Charlotte
all over again*

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Old September 4th 03, 01:11 PM
Krashin'Kenny

I can relate to what you've experienced. Many years ago, when I was
racing motorcycles offroad I took up mountainbiking. I couldn't believe
how how the trails were when riding them under "pedal power" Then, a
little over 7 months ago, I took up unicycling. Once I got my MUni and
hit those very same trails that I had mastered first on my motorcycle
and then on my mountainbike, it was if I was riding them for the first
time

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old September 4th 03, 01:32 PM
Dirtsurfer

Some of my posted adventure in uni-ing (you may need to register to see
the older posts). http://tinyurl.com/m7g2
http://tinyurl.com/m7g3 The last one is
an overnight camping trip. http://tinyurl.com/m7g4

--
Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

Old September 4th 03, 07:13 PM
paco

So did you get any comments/converts/snide remarks, and/or, "man, and I
thought -I- was extreme"?
It's only a matter of time until we pull another one into our fold...
(We need an evil smiley. That's the best I could do.)

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sometimes crap works fine.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old September 4th 03, 08:37 PM
daino149

zod wrote:
*I actually was the only person on the trail so I got no
remarks.......but I am sure I will, I get them on the street as it is
so I am sure the mountain bikers will have something to say.....

The most annoying thing about my ride was that I was somehow the first
person to ride the trail yesterday so I was covered in spiders and
webs *

How about remarks from people on the MTB forum?

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old September 4th 03, 08:52 PM
zod

Well they just wanted to know if I rode with a monkey on my
shoulder......

Old September 4th 03, 11:30 PM
carjug

North Carolina? Can you make it to the Hugofest Juggling festival in
Davidson this weekend? I'm bringing a Pashley 29er and a coker to ride
on the cross-country trails; if we're lucky someone else will bring a
giraffe. It's a blast, bring 25 bucks to help cover building rental and
a sleeping bag, there is crash space behind the football field. (a mile
walk). Search Hugofest on google for the website. Chris
Bogardus in Boone
264-5185

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

Old September 5th 03, 12:31 AM
chirokid

Zod, thanks for sharing your Adventure. I'm sure there will be many
more to come. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old September 5th 03, 12:31 PM
zod

carjug, I'd like to make it up to Davidson....it's less than an hour
drive for me but I have another event to be at this weekend (
http://tinyurl.com/mbud ) so I doubt I will be able to make it....

Old September 5th 03, 04:56 PM
zod

Here she is........don't mind the long brake cable, I still need to cut
it down, it was the rear brake on a bike.

[image: http://home.mindspring.com/~joshtaylor/trail/mUni2.jpg]