Four sets of essential points for cyclists to remember

Old April 19th 04, 07:27 PM
Danny Colyer

Default Four sets of essential points for cyclists to remember

Iain Jones wrote:
Overtaking buses is fun.

I used to think so, until a coach driver in Bath decided to accelerate
to match my speed as I drew level with the cab. I dropped back pretty
sharpish when I then saw a lorry coming the other way (it wasn't there
when I started the maneouvre and under normal circumstances I would have
completed the maneouvre before it hove into view).

Overtaking taxis ... my life's worth more than a tenner ;-)

Make that coaches too :-(

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

Old April 19th 04, 11:20 PM
davek

You've either been reading too much Douglas Adams or smoking those
"herbal"
tabs again ;-)

If I didn't know better I'd say you were probably right.

d.

Old April 19th 04, 11:34 PM
Jon Senior

"davek" wrote
I was passing a field full of sheep and I noticed that one was lying on

its
back, legs in the air, completely still. Several other sheep were standing
in a group nearby looking at it and gradually creeping closer towards it.
They could tell something was up, and I was a bit concerned - should I try
to find a farmer and let him know one of his sheep was lying dead in a
field?

Just as I was mulling over what I should do, the 'dead' sheep just rolled
over and leapt up, scaring its mates half to death. I could almost swear

it
was standing there laughing as all the other sheep ran away...

Usually referred to as a Riggwelter, it's unusual for them to right
themselves. See Riggwelter ale from the Black Sheep brewery for more
information... or you could look it up online, but then you'd miss out on
the ale!

Jon

Old April 20th 04, 05:44 PM
Iain Jones

"Danny Colyer" wrote in
:

Iain Jones wrote:
Overtaking buses is fun.

I used to think so, until a coach driver in Bath decided to accelerate
to match my speed as I drew level with the cab. I dropped back pretty
sharpish when I then saw a lorry coming the other way (it wasn't there
when I started the maneouvre and under normal circumstances I would have
completed the maneouvre before it hove into view).

Ah, I only overtake them when it's a 2-lanes-in-my-direction road - plenty
of them round here. That happened to me once, the bus accelerated to match
my speed, so I eyeballed the driver in his mirror, no change. Shouted a few
choice words and banged on the side of the bus, he got the picture.

Overtaking taxis ... my life's worth more than a tenner ;-)

Make that coaches too :-(

Never done coaches. They're scarier.